Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a set of V&H 3" slash cut slip ons and as others have stated noticed the subpar supplied muffler clamps supplied with the kit. I tried to torque to 45 ft-lbs as stated in instrucution manual but stopped as I felt I was going to damage the bolts. I tried to use the original OEM clamps but can't seem to get them over the mufflers? The center "anvil" shaped piece is the hangup. Is there a trick to get these opened wide enough to go over the new mufflers?

Thanks.

·
Bronze member
2,660 Posts
I’ve wrestled with these before, sometimes that ”anvil” piece catches on the lip of the muffler. Here’s three suggestions:

1. Try taking the clamp apart and opening the clamp up, then reassemble with only the nut catching on a thread or two. Put a little grease on the muffler end and clamp...especially on the anvil. Take a mallet and tap the clamp onto the muffler.
2. If that doesn’t work, you could take a file or Dremel tool and remove a little metal from the edge of the “anvil,” which would aid in it slipping over the edge of the muffler.
3. May sound silly, but if you have a freezer large enough, place the muffler in the freezer...the cold will contract the metal.

And yes, I’ve started torquing muffler clamps and stopped before reaching the specified torque, afraid the bolt would break. Now, I just use my 1/2 ratchet and stop when it gets hard to tighten by hand. It’ll be tight enough.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve wrestled with these before, sometimes that ”anvil” piece catches on the lip of the muffler. Here’s three suggestions:

1. Try taking the clamp apart and opening the clamp up, then reassemble with only the nut catching on a thread or two. Put a little grease on the muffler end and clamp...especially on the anvil. Take a mallet and tap the clamp onto the muffler.
2. If that doesn’t work, you could take a file or Dremel tool and remove a little metal from the edge of the “anvil,” which would aid in it slipping over the edge of the muffler.
3. May sound silly, but if you have a freezer large enough, place the muffler in the freezer...the cold will contract the metal.

And yes, I’ve started torquing muffler clamps and stopped before reaching the specified torque, afraid the bolt would break. Now, I just use my 1/2 ratchet and stop when it gets hard to tighten by hand. It’ll be tight enough.
Great. Thank you!.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just swapped my mufflers with TAB zombies. Ran into the same issue. I took the nut completely off and reassembled over the muffler. This gave the middle metal piece enough room to get around the muffler.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just swapped my mufflers with TAB zombies. Ran into the same issue. I took the nut completely off and reassembled over the muffler. This gave the middle metal piece enough room to get around the muffler.
Is the bolt threaded into the center anvil shaped piece?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is the bolt threaded into the center anvil shaped piece?
So I left the bolt and that center piece on the clamp and completely unscrewed the nut. this gave the clamp enough room to flex open to get that center piece over the end of the muffler. I then only had to thread the nut back on once I had the clamp where I wanted it on the muffler.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I just did this the other day, and yes removing the bolt helps. Also, once spread out to at least reach the diameter needed, I had to “tap” mine in with a wood board because it was so tight.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This was a huge headache for me. Took me hours fighting with it to fit over Bassani exhaust. I ended up using a dremel to just slightly remove a bit of the anvil. It slid on so much simpler afterwards. I wish I did it in the beginning and avoided the cut up finger and hours or sweating/cussing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was a huge headache for me. Took me hours fighting with it to fit over Bassani exhaust. I ended up using a dremel to just slightly remove a bit of the anvil. It slid on so much simpler afterwards. I wish I did it in the beginning and avoided the cut up finger and hours or sweating/cussing.
That's what I ended up doing as well. Grinded the leading edge of the anvil piece down and spread the clamp with two sets of channel lock pliers. Had my wife hold the muffler while I worked the clamp onto the end of the muffler. It still wasn't easy but eventually worked and was able to torque to the 40-45# spec with no issues. Thanks for all the suggestions & help.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Installed a set of V&H 3" slash cut slip ons and as others have stated noticed the subpar supplied muffler clamps supplied with the kit. I tried to torque to 45 ft-lbs as stated in instrucution manual but stopped as I felt I was going to damage the bolts. I tried to use the original OEM clamps but can't seem to get them over the mufflers? The center "anvil" shaped piece is the hangup. Is there a trick to get these opened wide enough to go over the new mufflers?

View attachment 595853

Thanks.
Agreed. Take it completely apart, then reassemble it past the muffler lip. I use a stout pair of vice grips to squeeze and hold the two sides together to get the nut started.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I used this video as reference when I changed my exhaust to the Khrome Werks slip ons.

I remember loosen the nut until the last thread and having it flush on the muffler using a hammer and block of wood to prevent me from messing up the edges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts