Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with (or knowledge in regard to) the Show Chrome Detachable Smart Mount Backrest (Mfg #30 - 208; also has an OEM Ref.#) available online from Dennis Kirk. It is much cheaper relative to other backrest-mount combos advertised online, enough to make one wonder if there is a not-so-good reason why? Any advice/info will be greatly appreciated!

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
I can't help you with that one, but if you are looking for a cheaper alternative there are two that are common on here.

First is the Grasshopper. People say good things about it, but it doesn't have the hinged adjustability. It mounts to the underside of the seat rather than the bike itself. A mate bought one some time ago and is happy with it.

Second is the ebay copies of the OEM. You need the mount bracket and the backrest. They look to be the same as Indian but are not branded. I've got this one and it's a good addition to the bike for comfort on longer rides.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dr Shifty for your time and your help. Not ever having bought anything off e-bay before it took me awhile to find my bearings, but I ended up buying a reasonably priced plug-in backrest and mount bracket that was marked as "Unbranded". I'm hoping it's as good as the OEM copies that you mentioned...time will tell I guess. The good news is that it's returnable. Also, I wasn't sure if I should bid on it or try to negotiate a lower price, so I just bought it outright so it would be shipped right away. I have a long-distance ride planned later this month and would sure like to have it installed on my bike by then. Thanks again Doc...

·
Registered
139 Posts
FWIW......I recently bought one of the E-Bay copies, and could not get the mounting bracket to fit no matter what I tried. Their mfging jig was just off about 1/8" in where the holes were drilled; ended up having to return it; did get full refund, but was out the return shipping cost. But, I had previously bought the same item some time back, and that one bolted right on with no issues. So, hope the one you get will fit!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWIW......I recently bought one of the E-Bay copies, and could not get the mounting bracket to fit no matter what I tried. Their mfging jig was just off about 1/8" in where the holes were drilled; ended up having to return it; did get full refund, but was out the return shipping cost. But, I had previously bought the same item some time back, and that one bolted right on with no issues. So, hope the one you get will fit!
Thanks for the heads-up...I hope it fits too...I will be letting the forum know either way!

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
I bought the Show Chrome backrest for my 2016 Chief Dark Horse, and it fit perfectly. Instead of using the bolt they provided at the padded portion, I went to the auto parts store and bought a lockable clevis pin, so the padded backrest is easily removable, otherwise you would need to unbolt it to remove it for daily use.
I like it, and for the price, you can't beat it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the Show Chrome backrest for my 2016 Chief Dark Horse, and it fit perfectly. Instead of using the bolt they provided at the padded portion, I went to the auto parts store and bought a lockable clevis pin, so the padded backrest is easily removable, otherwise you would need to unbolt it to remove it for daily use.
I like it, and for the price, you can't beat it!
Thanks for your reply...I should be receiving the one I bought on ebay in a few days. I will definitely consider the Show Chrome model if the unbranded one doesn't work. I also have a 2016 Chief Dark Horse...don't you just love that bike!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts