Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any picts of the OEM battery with markings? I purchased a replacement battery plan from my dealer and the parts person told me that he "thought" the replacements were OEM (per the plan) but could not confirm it. I am just curious as the box appears aftermarket and just want to double check what I bought is what I am getting.

John

·
Bronze member
2,987 Posts
To the best of my knowledge,and after being in the business for the past 60 some odd years of my life,there are only three major battery manufacturers I'm aware of ,who also sell their batteries to other companies who then change the name on the battery and tell ya how much better their battery is,when in reality, these aftermarket batteries are actually the same battery,except for the name printed on the label,and naturally,vary in price.

·
Bronze member
2,987 Posts
That's the battery that Indian,along with a bunch of other motorcycle companies,use in their bikes.The last three machines I owned all used that same number battery.But believe me ,it's not made by Polaris or Honda,or Yamaha,or who ever,as there are only several battery manufacturers in the business,whether they be for a car,truck,boat,lawn tractor,etc.Anyways,this same battery can be bought almost any wheres other then from an Indian dealership for less money, but with a different name stamped on it.And the YTX20 number, is infact,the same battery used in many applications,and what you're looking for as a replacement.And ya don't want anything less then the 310 CCA [cold cranking amps] marked on the batteries casing.So if ya shop around,you'll discover that this same number battery [minus the Polaris,Honda,Harley or whoevers name is stamped on it] can be bought else
wheres,and usually for a lot less money.Shop around and you'll see what I mean.

·
Bronze member
2,223 Posts
The TS111 Indian battery is a Yuasa YTX20HL!

The HL is important ... for the 310 ccamps! (Yausa makes another YTX20 with less ccamps ... the last 2 letters are different and often used in Harleys as well e.g.)

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,620 Posts
The same Yuasa can be had for about half of the Indian battery. Of all Indian parts out there, this is probably the biggest rip off.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the battery that Indian,along with a bunch of other motorcycle companies,use in their bikes.The last three machines I owned all used that same number battery.But believe me ,it's not made by Polaris or Honda,or Yamaha,or who ever,as there are only several battery manufacturers in the business,whether they be for a car,truck,boat,lawn tractor,etc.Anyways,this same battery can be bought almost any wheres other then from an Indian dealership for less money, but with a different name stamped on it.And the YTX20 number, is infact,the same battery used in many applications,and what you're looking for as a replacement.And ya don't want anything less then the 310 CCA [cold cranking amps] marked on the batteries casing.So if ya shop around,you'll discover that this same number battery [minus the Polaris,Honda,Harley or whoevers name is stamped on it] can be bought else
wheres,and usually for a lot less money.Shop around and you'll see what I mean.

Do you know what it means when it says YTX20HL-BS? Not sure what the BS means on other batteries.

Thank you
John

·
Bronze member
2,987 Posts
I used to know all this stuff,but have forgotten a lot of it.[old age,plus I've been retired now for 20 years] Anyways,I'm not 100% sure,but I believe the letters YTX refers to the batteries physical size,[length,width,and height], because ,unlike four wheelers,you only have a limited amount of space to put it. I believe the 20HL is the batteries out put capacity to run the electrical system,plus added accessories.The letters CCA refer to cold cranking amps,the more, the better.The batteries in most of the larger bikes like the Indian have 310 CCA's,which should be enough,but more is always better "WHEN and IF" available.

·
Rider
879 Posts
FWIW I believe the BS is for Sealed AGM batteries...the H, is the heavy duty ie. 310 CCA and the L, means left hande terminals... th L batteries have what I consider right Handed Terminals... matters Not what I Think... the L indicates the Pos on the right side of the battery as viewed from the terminal side!!!
HTH
Edit; IMHO the Deka is the Superior Americam made Battery... Yuasa is made in 3 locations that I know of... the USA one is good for a couple years, the one that says made in Japan right on it, is good for a year, and the one that says Made in Taiwan on it...never last even a year... sometimes less...

·
Bronze member
2,987 Posts
Now that I think about it,I do believe you're correct!! However,that BS,I alway thought stood for bull sh**!! lol lol lol

·
Rider
879 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts