Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 scout, I got in a wreck and the speedometer/odometer needed replaced. After the dealership put the new one on, it showed only two miles on it. I also toggled through to make sure it wasn't just keeping my distance that I traveled, I went back in and asked about why its not reading the correct milage. The tech took it back and said the ecm or the computer part was keeping track of all the original miles, and would track the new ones I put on on the ecm, but would not show on the new speedometer. (didn't have a explanation) They said they would get back to me and I still havent heard anything. So my bike has around 4980 miles but reads 50 some odd miles. Has anyone else had this issue and how does it get fixed?

·
Rider
911 Posts
I believe that is how Indian/Polaris does it but the dealer should provide you with a slip or statement saying the odometer was replaced and what the actual mileage is. Maybe it varies from state to state?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
yes you should of gotten slip or it's in your bike's records. had that happen to me on a 1989 Cougar XR7 after 10k miles dash went out. dealer replaced an it shows low mileage. That slip is worth it's wt in gold as getting caught without disclosing it could be a major issue.

·
Bronze member
1,179 Posts
Water damage caused my speedometer screen to malfunction around 38,000 km, began displaying random number segments making it impossible to read the mileage. Rode it that way for a few thousand kilometers more before taking it in for warranty because I didn't want to give up my bike before the end of the riding season. I assumed that the mileage could be pulled from the ECU and configured into the replacement speedometer, this is not the case, if it is the case dealers do not know how to do it. Seems the odometer data is indeed stored inside the speedometer assembly itself, after doing some Googling I learned that a lot of modern motorcycles and vehicles do this. The actual mileage of my Scout is gone forever, all I know is it's approximately 40,000 km + whatever my new speedometer reads. Fortunately I'd rather sell my legs than sell this bike, so I ain't stressing over it.

Reactions: 111184

·
Rider
1,037 Posts

This video has been discussed before. Seems that “Bikes and Beards” bought an Indian at auction and like yours the odometer failed. They brought it to an Indian dealer. Indian then handled the repair in warranty. But a new odometer starts at zero. So the dealer provided a paper certification of the correct mileage and the fact it was a new (zero) odometer. (Be sure to ask your dealership about this if they haven’t supplied you with it already) This is the proper and legal way to do it. (Though like everything it may change state to state in the US) Hardly a case of Indian not taking ownership of the fault.

But Bikes and Beards didn’t like this. So they paid an independent mechanic to alter the odometer. They then sell the bike to another dealer. That dealer sees the certification that at 6,000 miles a new odometer reading zero was installed and the new odometer now reading 6,000 miles. Thus doubling the mileage and making the true mileage questionable. So the second dealer demands they take the Indian back. And that’s the warning for you about handling this correctly.

Somehow Bikes and Beards decides this is Indians fault, though it seems clear to me it is BnB.

Then adding insult to injury they get a nail in the tire and Indian charges them $450 for a new one.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I replaced the speedo on my 14 Vintage with the optional black faced speedo, I was aware the mileage would be zero, before fitting the speedo I went to the local instrument repairer, after some investigation he found out that the speedo mileage could not be altered, the speedo’s are made by VDO, Polaris have not supplied the codes to alter the mileage, over here in Australia the main Indian dealers are owned by Polaris, the dealerships are having the same problem, the Mothership cannot help them, I also replaced the gauges with optional black faced versions on my RM, I took pics of the mileage on both bikes before replacement, my RM mileage is missing 5000 + miles.

on my RM

·
Bronze member
4,673 Posts
The Scout speedo has a known problem where it becomes erratic and displays speed far in excess of the truth. When mine went it would show me doing over 100 kph by the time I got across an intersection from a red light. There are several reports on the forum of similar behaviour.

Mine was changed at 5,000 kms and I noted this to the buyer when I sold it at 8,000 kms but showing 3,000. That person later sold it through a city bike shop and told them the proper odometer reading. The shop then rang me to confirm the story. Here in Australia it seems we don't get any formal report from the dealer who changes the speedo.

Considering that the speedo fault is common enough to be known, it's not a good idea to have the speedo keep track of distance. There must be a lot of Scouts out there not showing the true numbers.

I didn't realise the TS111 bikes have the same issue, especially considering that Polaris sells the black speedo and some riders prefer it over the red.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts