Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sooooo freak out right now
My bike has been perfect up until this past weekend...and I only have 1200 miles on it.
Road it 7 miles to my destination. Every time I shut it off ( a total of 5 time in 3 hours) I heard a crackling crunching sound after the fan shuts off. What is going on with my baby? Any ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like a mylar ballon deflating and last less than one second. Wouldn't the temp be over 204 to boil? That's what my gauge read. Isn't coolants boiling 250?

·
German rider
723 Posts
Cooling systems are under pressure when hot. They have an exhaust valve if increasing above f.e. 1,5 bar / 22 PSI. May be engine is heatening straight on a minute while pump is standing already.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like its contracting. One guy said it's the radiator fins contracting. I'm baffled.
Thanks for the imput!

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Sounds like its contracting. One guy said it's the radiator fins contracting. I'm baffled.
Thanks for the imput!
@Gunner Conway-Davenport - I've had several motorcycles that do this - the headers etc... were expanding / contracting as they both heated up and other things cooled down. I hope I understand you correctly "this happens on a hot or warmed up bike"? The Scout runs notoriously HOT do to meeting EPA emissions / regulations, also if your running Ethanol unleaded it can also heat things up. The newer the bike, the more sound affects, but, as it breaks in it should be less and less noticeable. Of course if you can used premium (non ethanol) fuel and remove the cats and open up the air intake you will cool things down even more! On a 100 degree day in Mobile Alabama I can now run at 176 degrees engine temp - average.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine makes a metallic clinking/pinging noise. I'll record a sound clip of it. But if it matches it's just the fins contracting due to reduced pressure and cooling. Nothing to worry about, just metal being metal.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Im curious why after 1200 miles is it noticeable. By now everything has set in place and meshing well together. But, just like SE Texas, Y'all in Cali are experiencing very hot weather, August. Today my bike ran around 185 on the road, 206 parked, a bit hot. I am under the 500 mile break in so there are still creaks and other break in noises.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts