Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Rider
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a motorcycle trip to Maggie Valley North Carolina. I think I would like to go in October. If I do go in October work kind of dictates it would be the week of the 19th through the 24th. In someone’s opinion that has been would it be too cold then? Both my bike and the wife’s do have heated seats and heated grips. LOL

Reactions: miaponte

·
Bronze member
2,626 Posts
No, probably not. Obviously at the higher elevations it’ll be colder, but heated grips, seat, layered warm clothes, and chaps, you’ll be fine. You will notice the temp drop rapidly as the sun sets. I go to Maggie every Memorial Day weekend...sometimes it’s 80 and some years it doesn’t get out of the 50s. The same type of temperature swing will be true for Oct...just depends on the weather pattern for that week.

·
Rider
1,281 Posts
I go to the Indian Summer Ride each year in October. Initially it was Laurel Springs, NC - much further up the Parkway from Maggie Valley - and the last two years it his been in Bristol. The weather's been different each time, but very manageable.

BD

Reactions: miaponte

·
Rider
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome!!! Thanks for the info folks. I am going forward with the trip. When we had he 2 Harley bikes mine had a heated seat and grips and her heritage did not. Now we have matching Chieftains and both have a heated seat and grips so she ain’t allowed to fuss no more. LOL

However I have to say that she never really fussed before anyway!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
That not quite peak foliage time. I was up there 15th last year and only highest elevation had changed. I froze just one day in high elevations. Investing in chaps before I return.

·
Rider
796 Posts
October's a little late for me coming from Wyoming so can't comment on the leaves turning, although I was out there in early Sept of ‘17, everything was still green. I'm sure the BRP and Smokies are beautiful that time of year. Wheels through Time Museum is a must see IMO. Been there a couple of times.

Attachments

·
Bronze Member
1,686 Posts
Make sure to get your accomodations lined up in advance for that time. One of the local hotel owners told me that when the leaves change the hotels there are booked up solid.

We loved it when we were in Maggie Valley two-and-a-half years ago. My wife still talks about going back.

·
Rider
796 Posts
Cherokees 30mi, Asheville’s 40 mi, lots of great riding in the area. Deals Gap, The Dragon, 60 mi, 58 mi Gatlinburg. You can easily ride 1k miles in a weekend and not get outside a 75 mile radius of your motel or camp site. Lots of great places to stay in the area.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Peak leaf change is end of Oct, but IMO you don’t want to be on two wheels taking those curves while the leaves are falling anyway :). Mid Oct should be fine, but it is NC...could be 30, could be 80. May even be experience both on the same trip.

·
Rider
1,281 Posts
Make sure to get your accomodations lined up in advance for that time. One of the local hotel owners told me that when the leaves change the hotels there are booked up solid.

We loved it when we were in Maggie Valley two-and-a-half years ago. My wife still talks about going back.
Speaking of hotels. Quinn move the Pow Wow from Cherokee to Maggie Valley this year and we are staying that the Holiday Hotel. I'm sure it's not the only bike friendly hotel, but it is the one that Quinn settled on for our group.

BD

·
Rider
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Booked a cabin off of VRBO today so accommodations are all set. Anyone here live close to Maggie Valley that can suggest any don’t miss roads or don’t miss restaurants? I know there are supposed to be some great roads like Cherahola Moonshiner28 the dragon copperhead loop and the rattler. This will be my first time in this area. I have 5 nights booked so I hope that is enough and the weather cooperates. Any locals here that can tell me about a can’t miss road that don’t have a name and is kinda unknown?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am planning a motorcycle trip to Maggie Valley North Carolina. I think I would like to go in October. If I do go in October work kind of dictates it would be the week of the 19th through the 24th. In someone’s opinion that has been would it be too cold then? Both my bike and the wife’s do have heated seats and heated grips. LOL
Booked a cabin off of VRBO today so accommodations are all set. Anyone here live close to Maggie Valley that can suggest any don’t miss roads or don’t miss restaurants? I know there are supposed to be some great roads like Cherahola Moonshiner28 the dragon copperhead loop and the rattler. This will be my first time in this area. I have 5 nights booked so I hope that is enough and the weather cooperates. Any locals here that can tell me about a can’t miss road that don’t have a name and is kinda unknown?
I am a summer resident (May~Nov.) Try Rt 276 South toward Brevard to 215 South to the BRP. Take BRP toward Ashville to the Pisgah Lodge for lunch at about MP 405. Best leave Maggie about 10:30 and get signed up for the first seating. Great ride, great views, great food You can take the BRP back to Maggie and you will pass the highest
point on the parkway (nice parking area there). Get off the parkway at US19 (Soco Rd).

·
Bronze Member
1,686 Posts
We went from Maggie Valley to Waynesville on our first day, and on a whim headed east on US-276. It's a nice gently rolling two lane that heads up into the mountains. It then turns into a bunch of tight switchbacks. A number of them are 15 mph corners that climb higher and higher until you hit the BRP. From there it is either a short ride on the BRP into Asheville or you can continue down US-276 to Looking Glass Falls.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have been in October and November. It can get cold at night. Remember when the leaves start falling, it is a great sight to see but wet leaves can be slick

·
Rider
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes we plan on taking it slow and easy in the mountains especially if the leaves are falling and wet. Really hoping for dry leaves!!! Thanks for the suggestions so far folks!! Keep em coming.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,088 Posts
The BRP can close at times due to road icing in November as can the highway through the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. back to Gatlinburg. We encountered that situation back in November of 2018. The valley roads were ok but the higher elevation roads were closed. It was a long journey to Gatlinburg around the mountains.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A group of us go up every June and October. Last year we just started going up in October. With your heated gear and bike, no problem. We too are renting a home using VRBO. Prior visits have been hotels. Prices are sky high these days, so we are trying home renting this time. This coming October, we are based in Franklin, NC. I have been riding trikes for years, but recently got an Indian Scout I am trailering up from Florida for the curve roads...:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also have a heated jacket liner I have been using on my trike...I will buy the wires and remote controller to put on my Scout...Easy Peasy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts