Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of the new gas pumps when you want 91 octane fuel and the guy before you pumped regular you are going to get about a gallon? of regular before the premium hits your tank. Topping off a couple gallons here and there and you are pretty much running regular gas? Any ideas? What do you guys do to keep the octane up there?

· Rider
1,407 Posts
With all of the new gas pumps when you want 91 octane fuel and the guy before you pumped regular you are going to get about a gallon? of regular before the premium hits your tank. Topping off a couple gallons here and there and you are pretty much running regular gas? Any ideas? What do you guys do to keep the octane up there?
I fill with pump 91/93 Octane, and add Lucas Octane Booster

· Silver member
5,962 Posts
I keep it simple (that ol' KISS thing) I just fill up with 91 eth free and ride on. Never a problem even if I get a hose full of 87, 89, or whatever. I doubt if what's left over in the hose from the previous user makes enough octane difference to worry about.

· Registered
493 Posts
Fill up 91 Oct (non-ethanol when available) & ride. Never thought about it & never had a problem.

· Registered
1,041 Posts
According to the American Petroleum Institute the gas-pump hose typically retains about one third of a gallon of fuel. So when you pump a couple gallons of 93-octane premium after the previous customer pumped 87-octane regular, your fuel load would be diluted (not to mention overpriced).

· Registered
431 Posts
There are times when I have slow day, and not serious about riding at the moment, I'll leisurely take my Chief and pump in about 4 gallons of 91/93 octane. The other close-to-one-gallon left to fill comes from a local and private dealer who has 100 octane. Pretty much to this to all my vehicles (except the Ford Escape...which get 89 octane). Not every fill-up is like this...maybe done every 6 months or so...keeping the carb/injectors clean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts