Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The compression ration on the new Chief Dark Horse is 11 to 1, and the Owners Manual says to use 91 octane gas, which is Premium. The problem, of course, is not many vehicles use premium and most pumps now have all three grades come out of a single hose. I've read that the hose could hold half a gallon or more of 87 octane, and since we only have a 4 gallon tank, that will reduce the overall octane a bit.

Added to that, the Cleveland Moto podcast guys recently pointed out that with very little premium gas being sold, the possible water absorption in the underground tank as it sits could further dilute it.

So, though I've been using Shell premium whenever I can (because it's a top-tier gasoline), I was wondering what others are using. My Rocket 3 runs on Regular (as recommended in its manual) and it runs great. Are you staying with premium or has anybody tried mid-grade or regular? If so, did you notice any running issues or other problems?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I use premium and I add 3ounces of Lucas octane booster every other tank. I can't say for this 116, but I had a Chief Classic 116 and there was a noticeable difference when I did that with it as opposed to running just the premium. I guess the only way to really know is try the other way, but pre-detonation can be harmful to an engine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Added to that, the Cleveland Moto podcast guys recently pointed out that with very little premium gas being sold, the possible water absorption in the underground tank as it sits could further dilute it.
I would think that regular outsells premium, but with a narrowing gap with the addition of all the smaller turbo engines on the market requiring premium.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
657 Posts
I burn 93 octane in all my Indians. The FTR and Chief Bobber w/ Stage 2 kit demand it. The Vintage and Scout probably don’t need it but run great on it. I am so in the habit of pumping 93, I accidentally filled my car with it last week!

·
Registered
53 Posts
We run premium in all the bikes at the dealership. Not all need it but the ones that do will knock and rattle without it. In a 4-6 gallon tank, it isn't more than a buck difference to run 93. It isn't just the octane, its the detergent content as well. For the negligible difference in price, I'll run 93

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would think that regular outsells premium, but with a narrowing gap with the addition of all the smaller turbo engines on the market requiring premium.
Not necessarily. My wifes Kia is a twin turbo v6 and can run on regular gas, it detunes itself. If you fill up with the engine running you can hear it stumble as it retunes to different gas.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Not necessarily. My wifes Kia is a twin turbo v6 and can run on regular gas, it detunes itself. If you fill up with the engine running you can hear it stumble as it retunes to different gas.
My fusion has a turbo & I usually run mid grade in it without any issues. I recently ran 87 octane in it & it threw a code! I cleared the code & filled back up with 89. It DID NOT like the lower octane - lol. With my chief I always run premium

·
Registered
135 Posts
I run premium as well. It is the cheapest thing to do to your bike so I don’t hesitate.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,997 Posts
I spray a gallon on the ground first, then put in the good stuff. I've had to quit smoking though when riding and sipping JD. Didn't work out so well fueling up the last bike. Now.. off to chat with my Insurance agent .. yet again .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sunoco 260 GT ( 100 octane unleaded)+ non-ethanol (90 octane) 50/50 mix=(95 octane) run strong, no error codes ,always run unleaded with catalytic converters. Cats removed? Vp(110 leaded )should be fine for mixing. 100 octane unleaded $8.99 at the pump Circle K Carowinds Boulevard Fort Mill. VP 110 leaded $7.99 at the pump Old Charlotte Highway Monroe. I've ran mix sense day one in my Super Chief limited 116

·
Registered
506 Posts
I burn 93 octane in all my Indians. The FTR and Chief Bobber w/ Stage 2 kit demand it. The Vintage and Scout probably don’t need it but run great on it. I am so in the habit of pumping 93, I accidentally filled my car with it last week!
YIKES! I bet that was a smack down for the credit card. 😬

·
Registered
506 Posts
I already own something like an EV motorcycle. I ride a 2020 Indian Challenger. It has a parasitic draw on the battery when I'm not riding it. I refer to it as my electric Democrat. If I don't plug it into the battery tender every time I am done riding it, I'll be able to only go about three days of not riding it before the battery is drained. I'm on my fourth warranted battery in 18 months. Dealer has done tests and so far hasn't found the source of the problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I always run premium, 91 or better. If I feel it acting up at all, I’ll add a half can of Sea Foam or Berryman’s, and it clears right up. I had to run regular a couple of times on my Vision, and it didn’t like it. The Roadmaster hasn’t had to run on regular yet—I won’t try it until I absolutely have to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts