Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All,
Looking for input, is anyone using on a regular basis?
I have the 116 big bore with a decent tune. I always fill up with 91 octane non oxy
I still have pinging going on in usually 4-6 gears when hard Wot, Rolling steady on throttle will be ok and pulls pretty hard no pinging. With the high compression of the 116 I feel it needs to be higher than 91, I believe it’s minimum I’ve heard.
Thinking on trying some booster., been looking at the Lucas comes in 2oz bottles.
Looking for opinions, advice and experiences.

Thank you. , Jay

·
Bronze member
2,822 Posts
Go to any small airport,dont offer any information on what your getting the fuel for.just take a 5 gal
can and fill it up and see if it makes a difference.i think most is 104.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Go to any small airport,dont offer any information on what your getting the fuel for.just take a 5 gal
can and fill it up and see if it makes a difference.i think most is 104.

Aviation fuel is 100 octane Low Lead. Low lead meaning twice the lead content that regular leaded car gas had. If you want to have massive lead buildup on the intake and exhaust valve stems, damaged O2 sensors and other issues, go for it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Evening All,
I have the 116 big bore with a decent tune. I always fill up with 91 octane non oxy
I still have pinging going on in usually 4-6 gears when hard Wot, Rolling steady on throttle will be ok and pulls pretty hard no pinging. With the high compression of the 116 I feel it needs to be higher than 91, I believe it’s minimum I’ve heard.
Thinking on trying some booster., been looking at the Lucas comes in 2oz bottles.

Thank you. , Jay
You need to richen the target AFR table in high load areas 80-95 for rpm range 2000-6000 rpm AND/OR reduce timing by -0.75 -4.5 degrees in the rpm range and load range that you are experiencing pinging. Most probably 2.52-4K rpm between 80-95% load. If you had a PVCX or PV3 you could take logs and examine the timing retard due to knock tables to confirm. You will need a PVCX or PV3 to adjust these tables.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I suggest both the tuning adjust and the octane boost. My 116 will ping under WOT conditions as yours is described, but quiets a bit with increased octane from the additive.
Are you running factory tune?

·
Bronze member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to richer the target AFR table in high load areas 80-95 for rpm range 2000-6000 rpm AND/OR reduce timing by -0.75 -4.5 degrees in the rpm range and load range that you are experiencing pinging. Most probably 2.52-4K rpm between 80-95% load. If you had a PVCX or PV3 you could take logs and examine the timing retard due to knock tables to confirm. You will need a PVCX or PV3 to adjust these tables.
I discussed this with @CraigB1960 and that was his first thought to retard timing. After he looked at log file I sent him (PVCX) he didn’t see any knock senors triggered.

·
Bronze member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suggest both the tuning adjust and the octane boost. My 116 will ping under WOT conditions as yours is described, but quiets a bit with increased octane from the additive.
Are you running factory tune?
No, I’m running a tune that was specifically done on my bike when it was tuned using my PVCX

·
Bronze member
2,822 Posts
Aviation fuel is 100 octane Low Lead. Low lead meaning twice the lead content that regular leaded car gas had. If you want to have massive lead buildup on the intake and exhaust valve stems, damaged O2 sensors and other issues, go for it.
We run it in our hd bar hoppers regularly.none of those effects to date.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I discussed this with @CraigB1960 and that was his first thought to retard timing. After he looked at log file I sent him (PVCX) he didn’t see any knock senors triggered.
Well if that’s the case then one of two probabilities
1. Either knock sensor is defective or
2. What your hearing at these load levels is not knock
3. Surely there must be some knock retard events even -0.75 degree events - if there are zero knock retard events then I would 100% say you have a defective knock sensor which could very well cause pinging at high loads since it’s not taking out timing for genuine knock events. A high compression 116 engine is even more prone to knocking than 111 due to higher combustion temperature.
4. Now if there were knock events detected but only between -0.75 to -2.25 degrees then maybe you have nothing to worry about and perhaps what you are interpreting as knock is actually not knock

·
Silver member
4,572 Posts
Well if that’s the case then one of two probabilities
1. Either knock sensor is defective or
2. What your hearing at these load levels is not knock
3. Surely there must be some knock retard events even -0.75 degree events - if there are zero knock retard events then I would 100% say you have a defective knock sensor which could very well cause pinging at high loads since it’s not taking out timing for genuine knock events. A high compression 116 engine is even more prone to knocking than 111 due to higher combustion temperature.
4. Now if there were knock events detected but only between -0.75 to -2.25 degrees then maybe you have nothing to worry about and perhaps what you are interpreting as knock is actually not knock
I have seen a few bad knock sensor, especially on the 116”.

It is interesting that Polaris states to change the knock sensor of removed, but every 116” I have seen has reused it.

I certainly would have it check if excessive pinging was occurring or thought it was.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Evening All,

Thank you. , Jay
Is 91 obtain the highest you can buy? I always use the highest octane rated fuel I can buy. Over all it cost around an extra $2.00 a tank too fill up when empty but your looking after your engine. I know in some areas you can't always get the better fuels.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
In my area of the Midwest USA, 91 is often the Premium fuel. Sometimes you have to hunt for it. Regular fuel at 87.

·
Bronze member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In my area of the Midwest USA, 91 is often the Premium fuel. Sometimes you have to hunt for it. Regular fuel at 87.
I’m sure I can find 92, And I’ve seen 93 at some pumps. I just thought using 91 non oxy, is considered premium, however it’s still only 91.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Knock sensor on my 116 was a problem. Dealer took care of it and it’s been good ever since.
When you say "was a problem", can you tell us exactly what your symptoms were? How did the dealership diagnose that and make a warranty case? If it is already identified by Polaris as a replacement item under certain circumstances, this is the first I've heard of it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts