Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll preface this by saying I haven't ridden a Scout yet... haven't even seen one in person. (I have been told it will be too small for me.) But I've definitely drooled over them online. To my eye, I think it's one of the best looking motorcycles produced in the last many years. I haven't felt this way about the looks of a motorcycle since the 1999 Honda Shadow Aero or the 2000 Excelsior-Henderson Super-X, both great looking retro motorcycles.

However, it's not 1999, which leads me to another feeling about the Scout... disappointment. In this day and age I really think some technology should have been included perhaps in the form of selectable riding modes on this, by all accounts, kick-ass engine. Maybe adjustable suspension. Additionally, I really think it should be an actual crime not to include ABS as they are on deliveries to Europe.

Granted, these things cost money. The price is definitely right for this thing and hopefully the Scout will lead to many other sub-models with different accessories and perhaps even some technology. But until then, the Scout better be pretty damn charming to ride for my 6'3" 250 lb frame. Looks only go so far.

Jim

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'll preface this by saying I haven't ridden a Scout yet... haven't even seen one in person. (I have been told it will be too small for me.) But I've definitely drooled over them online. To my eye, I think it's one of the best looking motorcycles produced in the last many years. I haven't felt this way about the looks of a motorcycle since the 1999 Honda Shadow Aero or the 2000 Excelsior-Henderson Super-X, both great looking retro motorcycles.

However, it's not 1999, which leads me to another feeling about the Scout... disappointment. In this day and age I really think some technology should have been included perhaps in the form of selectable riding modes on this, by all accounts, kick-ass engine. Maybe adjustable suspension. Additionally, I really think it should be an actual crime not to include ABS as they are on deliveries to Europe.

Granted, these things cost money. The price is definitely right for this thing and hopefully the Scout will lead to many other sub-models with different accessories and perhaps even some technology. But until then, the Scout better be pretty damn charming to ride for my 6'3" 250 lb frame. Looks only go so far.

Jim
The brain trusts at Polaris put this model together to compete at a price point with HD. and to a broader market of riders then a great many other bikes, which is not an easy task. I believe once getting their foot in the door with the Indian brand we'll see many more additional expensive options over the next few years. Don't forget this is the first real attempt to resurrect Indian. Other then Polaris fumbled roll-out attempt, and less then stellar handling of money down customers I have to believe they know what their doing, and so I won't complain to loudly, their products are still incredibly sexy.

·
Registered
738 Posts
lj, don't worry about the size until you try it yourself. 2 of my friends who are close to your size (I'm not too far behind) loved the Scout and I thought we all looked fine on it. JMHO. :cool:
ps. Yeah, I have one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I put my deposit down without test riding the Scout. After viewing all of the test ride videos on you tube, I went to the dealer sat on the bike and was sold. My bike won't be at the dealer hopefully no later than April. All I can think about is this bike. This is my "dream" bike. I never thought that I could afford an Indian. There is an Indian red bike being built with my name on it, what is more awesome than that!

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I put my deposit down without test riding the Scout. After viewing all of the test ride videos on you tube, I went to the dealer sat on the bike and was sold. My bike won't be at the dealer hopefully no later than April. All I can think about is this bike. This is my "dream" bike. I never thought that I could afford an Indian. There is an Indian red bike being built with my name on it, what is more awesome than that!
Welcome to the Scout club :D

G

·

Jim
Not everyone wants ABS,sometimes its fun to skid and slide to a stop!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Selectable riding modes is great on a bike that has high horsepower and designed multiple riding conditions (Track, Offroad, ETC) The power of the scout is very smooth and predictable. It goes slow and behaves nicely in low speeds. Doesn't really need riding modes. There is no traction control or ABS to change either. The bike just works.

I have bikes that need the riding modes.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yes Leah, that really is AWESOME indeed! :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts