Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Had a problem today. Pulled into a used bike.dealership today parking in front of one of those cement parking barriers. Put the bike in nuetral and green lite came on. When I let out clutch, it lurched forward but I stopped it right away (brakes). After I left the store I cranked it up and put it back in nuetral. When I let the clutch back out, it did the same thing with the nuetral lite on. I let the clutch out but this time it jumped right up and over the cement barriers. I was now stuck as I couldn't back it up back over the curb or get off of it because the rear bottom of the front fender was so close to the barrier, that I would've hit the fender if I leaned it over on the kickstand. Finally another biker came and helped me back it backwards up over the curb. I put it in nuetral but kept the clutch pulled in while I backed up. Sure enough, with the green nuetral lite on, I let the clutch out and it took off in first gear. Got it home and in the garage I played around with the neutral light and foot shifter til I knew it was in neutral and I could then let the clutch out. I'm afraid of it going into first gear and rolling thru the front garage door. Green lite has always been touchy yo get on between first and second gear. Any idea what might be going on?!

·
Registered
44 Posts
What year/model?
Possibly the neutral sensor is bad. Might be stuck ON. It is located on top of the trans. cover and has a wire going to it. Part #6 below:

·
Silver member
5,043 Posts
The bike cannot ever ride off by itself. It is a manual tranny. Simple design...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike cannot ever ride off by itself. It is a manual tranny. Simple design...
I didn't literally mean the bike would ride off by utself. But if the green nuetral lite is on and I release the clutch, then the bike should sit sit still and not take of by itself, when it should be in nuetral.

3424698, member: 125322"]
What year/model?
Possibly the neutral sensor is bad. Might be stuck ON. It is located on top of the trans. cover and has a wire going to it. Part #6 below:
View attachment 597774

View attachment 597776
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. It's a 2003 Roadmaster. I got to thinking that since I always use my heel/toe shifter, maybe I should get in the habit of going into nuetral by using my toe and lifting up my shifter from first into nuetral by lifting the shifter with my toe, rather than

1 - 5 of 5 Posts