Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so all this writing about noise from engine and what not, I now ride my Vintage listening for shit. Thanks a lot! Seriously now I'm freaked out. Is something rattling? Is my engine ticking? WOW

·
Registered
109 Posts
It did cross my mind for a bit to be honest. But now I just ride the heck out of it! The warranty will take care of the rest. No worries here!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
What I'm getting ready to lay down here is NOT a joke.

If you wear a half helmet the straps are right over your ears and the wind is making a hell of a racket.
If you don't wear a helmet the wind is ruining what ever hearing you have left.
If you are wearing a full face helmet it has ventilation like a wind tunnel.

The answer to all of thes maladies comes in the form of foam earplugs from CVS or Walgreens.
I don't ride without them...ever.

What you can't hear won't worry you.
If a problem escalates to the level that it makes it over the earplugs....only then do you have something to worry about.

Trust me, you will grow to love the earplugs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've owned and ridden a lot of different bikes. From a BSA, to Hondas, to Harleys, to the last 3 flavors of Indians. Everyone single one of them had their own particular engine noise. With pretty much any bike, you can even ride the same model and year and it will sound different.

The loudest bike I've owned is probably my BSA.. but I put straight pipes on it which solved that issue. Even my soul-less Hondas would make add noises at times.

Ok - not to get too technical, but from a design stand point (I was a Design Engineer in my past life), there is a thing you have to look for when doing your design that's called "tolerance buildup".

The engine on your motorcycle is made up of a lot of different parts. Each of those parts are specified to be made within a certain size or form tolerance. That tolerance is specified as + or - a certain distance. Depending on the part, this distance could be .002, .005, .010, or more. When those parts are made they come in somewhere within that range of tolerance. Tolerance buildup is the consideration of how all those different parts that are coming in as slightly different sizes will all work together. What will happen if all the parts come in at max tolerance, meaning they are all as large as they can be and still within tolerance? What will happen if all the parts come in at min tolerance, meaning all the parts are as small as they can be and still be within tolerance? What if some are max tolerance and others are min tolerance? All the various plus and minuses have to be considered.

Now consider the tolerances that exist within the assembly process. There are tolerances there too. There are tolerances on how the parts are positioned as well as the torque each fastener is installed with.

ALL of this creates a unique sound and feel to every engine made. Some of our engines will be louder and others will be quieter. It's likely though that all, or nearly all, of our engines are within specification. That unique sound you hear is the voice of your bike. Don't worry about it if that voice is different than other bikes you've had.

Remember also that we have warranties. For example the 2014's have a 5 year warranty, so if your engine happens to have been put together incorrectly (which is a VERY small percentage of all the bikes out there) Polaris / Indian will fix it. So what's the worst thing that can happen? You ride your bike for a while and the engine blows up... and then you get a brand new engine put in on their dime. Doesn't sound so bad to me.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My 2014 Chieftain is quieter than my 99 Road King Classic, my 94 FatBoy, my 86 Softail, my 78 FLH, my 72 SuperGlide, and my 69 XLCH Sportster.... Hell...it is quieter than my 63 Honda 305 Dream!!! Now my 2005 Honda Goldwing was quieter than my Chieftain but then it is quieter than every car I ever owned.

I can believe some Indian bikes make noise but that is why we have warranties. If it turns into a long term issue, Indian will fix it. Let's be honest here....do you really believe that every bike, made by every manufacturer has been perfect and Indian is supposed to be different?

There are going to be some bikes with issues but it is not going to be across the line.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
723 Posts
Harry... chill. You're gonna get top-end noise out of the TS-111. Even the early reviews noted that. It is normal. I have it too but knowing it is a normal thing it doesn't bother me. You should have heard my 07 H-D. Sometimes it sounded like I was dragging a bucket of bolts behind me since the day it was new. My Indian is a lot quieter.

Life is good and riding an Indian makes it a bit better.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah Harry, I know what you mean. First new bike that I have bought since 1984 I was hearing and reading about it and it got me concerned. I started paying more attention to it. A little tick at idle and a little clacking right around 2000 rpm when accelerating. I rode it to Okeechobee (40 miles) Thursday and once I got in to town at red lights noticed that it was quieter once warmed up good. Just gonna ride and if it breaks, I will see how good that warranty is.

Mike

PS. My fob is on back order until the 26th so I will not be heading down to your neck of the woods until after then. I will let you know.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all you talked me off the ledge! I wasn't that freaked out really. I'm loving the bike and when I gun it, it sounds great. People gawk at it constantly because it's beautiful!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Roadgypsy......I did drag a bucket of bolts behind my 07 HD with 5700 miles as the engine took a dump!!! That first year 96 cu. in. engine crank run-out tolerence issue. $5400.00 later I dumped the HD and hooked up with a Indian. Love the Chieftain!

Glad to hear you are off suicide watch Harry!...;) I really love the looks of the Vintage......you got a great bike!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,047 Posts
To those who think their motors are too noisy,
I have rebuilt many v-twin engines. It is not unusual for them to be tight, noisy, or less than smooth during the first few thousand miles. If you follow the break-in and maintenance procedures given in the owner's manual the engine should smooth out, run cooler, and make more power by the time you rack up 2,000 miles or so. New machines are built to much tighter tolerances using CNC machinery than was possible just a few years ago.The deep and many cooling fins on TS111 can act to amplify top-end noise. Of course, anything mechanical can fail. If the noise is loud enough to concern you, take it back to the dealer. A top-flight company like Polaris is unlikely to tout a 5-year warranty and then fail to stand behind it. My own experience with Polaris is that when the transmission on my first-year Victory failed, despite the fact that the bike was out of warranty, they offered to replace the gear set. That was a big part of why I was willing to take a chance on the first-year Indian Chief.
--- Randall

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
My 2014 Chieftain is quieter than my 99 Road King Classic, my 94 FatBoy, my 86 Softail, my 78 FLH, my 72 SuperGlide, and my 69 XLCH Sportster.... Hell...it is quieter than my 63 Honda 305 Dream!!! Now my 2005 Honda Goldwing was quieter than my Chieftain but then it is quieter than every car I ever owned.

I can believe some Indian bikes make noise but that is why we have warranties. If it turns into a long term issue, Indian will fix it. Let's be honest here....do you really believe that every bike, made by every manufacturer has been perfect and Indian is supposed to be different?

There are going to be some bikes with issues but it is not going to be across the line.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

Hey DrZ

Your latest bike is your quietest bike because you're hearing is deteriorating with age..... Nyuk nyuk nyuk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts