Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you feel about it?
Did some of your early concerns melt with the miles or become aggravated?
New problems or concerns?

Overall, I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am about ready for the first service on my Chieftain and I have to say I agree with you B.D. I am very pleased with the bike and it's handling

·
Registered
109 Posts
Only have 700 miles on her but I am liking her a bunch and havn't found anything to complain about. Wife and I just came back from a 500 mile overnighter, her two concerns are the adjustable passenger floorboards that we paid for when we bought the bike are not here yet and lack of space in the saddlebags. I am looking for a nice leather travel pack to match the rest of the bike to cure that issue. I love the handling and balance, it just feels right to me. May at somepoint go with the reach handlebars. But all is good and I am a definate fan of the Indian Vintage.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,743 Posts
3000 miles and loving it.
I've only been on one extended ride (350 miles each way) but it really was a joy for the entire trip. I plan to do another long ride soon. I have learned a lot about body position and adjusting things on the bike to make it more comfortable and enjoyable.
I am thoroughly pleased with the Indian Chieftain and do not regret buying it at all.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only have 700 miles on her but I am liking her a bunch and havn't found anything to complain about. Wife and I just came back from a 500 mile overnighter, her two concerns are the adjustable passenger floorboards that we paid for when we bought the bike are not here yet and lack of space in the saddlebags. I am looking for a nice leather travel pack to match the rest of the bike to cure that issue. I love the handling and balance, it just feels right to me. May at somepoint go with the reach handlebars. But all is good and I am a definate fan of the Indian Vintage.
Handmade Leather Accessories | Motorcycle Custom Leather Accessories | Sportsmen Custom Leather Accessories | Historical Re-enactment Custom Leather Accessories| Le Doux Leather Custom Leather Products

Every time I see a link that looks good....
These folks will make whatever you want and match the colors.
If and when.....this is who I'm going to use for my leather trunk.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Thanks for the link to Le Doux Leather Products, Big Daddy. Looks like some nice leather accessories, and I'll definitely shop these guys when I'm ready to add some leather to the bike.

·
Founding member
950 Posts
Milwaukee just finished it's annual Harley Homecoming Rally. Did not see any other Indians. There were a few knuckleheads with "it's not a real Indian" or "I hate the fenders" But most of them were decent folks just misguided. Know a guy who wanted Indian but bought a HD because there is no dealer here. There isn't enough of us and were a bunch of dull old goats [I'm 53] My favorite thing about it is the uniqueness dare to think for yourself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've just got back from probably the biggest HD rally in the UK , thunder in the glens. I saw one Chief Vintage there, but Indian / Victory had a stand on the Main Street . I'm still waiting to see the Scout which I'm expecting early next year. Are there really that few dealers across the US ? Here in England my closest HD shop is 14 miles, I go straight past it another 20 to a decent dealer or I can go 62 miles the other way. I think there are as many Indian dealers close to me, one about 35 miles and two around 65 in opposite directions. Are people that worried they are not within 50 miles of a dealer they won't buy a bike ?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I've just got back from probably the biggest HD rally in the UK , thunder in the glens. I saw one Chief Vintage there, but Indian / Victory had a stand on the Main Street . I'm still waiting to see the Scout which I'm expecting early next year. Are there really that few dealers across the US ? Here in England my closest HD shop is 14 miles, I go straight past it another 20 to a decent dealer or I can go 62 miles the other way. I think there are as many Indian dealers close to me, one about 35 miles and two around 65 in opposite directions. Are people that worried they are not within 50 miles of a dealer they won't buy a bike ?
I think most here will travel more than 50 miles (and more) to buy a bike. From where I live, there are no bike shops within 50 miles, except a Harley dealer with which it is impossible to strike a deal. I'll go there for parts for my HD's, but not a bike. When I used to tour more, I did find it useful to have HD dealers near most freeways to help riders that always seem to "break" on a ride (not mine of course!). Maybe that is the issue with some of the riders we hear complain about Indian dealer locations or lack thereof. The obvious answer may be that the Indians are more reliable and you just don't need a dealer in your backyard.

As for Indian dealer locations, I am about equal distance between 2 dealers, but the one I am buying from is in my state. The other is in another state. Keeping my business in my home state simplifies buying a bike (legal docs, taxes and registration), plus my dealer seems to enjoy high customer ratings. We all have our reasons for choosing our dealer, but I'll bet "distance to the dealer" is not ranked in the top 3 or so reasons.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've seen some statistics that 80% to 85% of Indian buyers come off of a Harley.
Harley has done an admirable job of marketing of the whole Disneyland Lifestyle.
I call it "HarleyWeird".

One of the tenants of the HarleyWeird Disneyland Lifestyle is dressing up and riding from one Harley dealership to another.
A typical Saturday afternoon is started at a meet up at one dealership followed by a ride to another dealership across town.

Ok listen, I' not knocking this...what ever floats their boats. They are having fun.
But remember....85% of the people that buy Indians come from this gene pool.
I'd like to believe we are the better informed of the pool.

But like clockwork, this lack of a matching dealership network is mentioned by those trying to talk themselves out of buying an Indian.
Going to the Harley Dealership is a social event that they have grown very fond of.
The thought of not having an Indian dealership at the foot of every exit ramp is like taking a blankie away from a baby.

But more and more Indian dealerships are opening every day.
This problem will be self correcting over another year or so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have a new Vintage and love it. The three Gilroy's I had don't even come remotely close to the quality of this bike. This is a real Indian. Ride is solid and hell and the bike never stops pulling. Ordered a new Scout yesterday. I'm sold...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Have got 4000 on #126 Classic and have never had an engine code or problem of any kind. This bike is great and hope it continues to run strong over the next 10 years. Had a nice customized Harley pull up alongside at a stop light last weekend and he commented on how nice the Indian looked. Cruisin in the USA!

·
Registered
62 Posts
1200 miles on the Classic and I still can't get the smile off my face. All is right with the world and the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got a couple thousand miles on the Blue Scoot so far, the ride is great and the power is unmatched by any cruiser I have ever had. I'm taking my Chieftain and a friend is taking his Vintage and we are going to ride the Trace up to Nashville to do the inagural ride in October, i will post afterwards on how it does.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got 2,500 miles on my Vintage which include a couple of 600 mile days. I'm only getting about 36.5 mpg but at my age (57) I'm ready for a break after 150 miles anyway. The bike is just an awesome ride. I don't miss the two Harley's I traded in on it in the least and yes I took a bath on them but it was time to move on and we'll worth it.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I've got 2500 miles on my blue Vintage and love it to bits. I waited in line for 4 months for delivery, and it was worth it. You guys complain about lack of dealerships... We have only EIGHT dealers in the whole of Australia. Some guys have to ride 2000 miles to their nearest dealer! Only problem with the Induan is that I constantly get caught up with people who want to talk about it.... I reckon I should be on commission!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts