Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Names Nova. Purchased a 2000 Chief in red and cream about 2 months ago in rockford, IL. The guy who sold it to me said the bike was his buddys who passed away and the last time it was ridden was 10 yrs ago to the funeral. Whether thats true or not is irrelevant- its a used bike with 16k miles and theres no telling what issues exist without going through it with a fine tooth comb.

A little bit anout me: I am a DIY internet schooled mechanic. I source info from youtube and other forums. I wrench to save money but more importantly to gain knowledge, experience, and to learn the bike. This will be my first time wrenching on a motorcycle.

I chose this bike because i like harley and indian cruisers and the gilroy indians look like the love child of the two.

I wrench on the weekends when time permits but with no garage if the weather sucks i cant get much done. It is my goal to give this bike a second life and to share my wisdom with others as there are no maintenance videos or how-to's on these bikes other than the manuals which has me scratching my head most of the time. Anyways thanks for having me. I have some write-ups to post and a host of questions when you guys are ready.

·
Living the dream!
267 Posts
Please post pictures, I for one love Gilroy era machines. Also, I would seriously consider a shed if you have the space. Anyway, glad you are here.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Names Nova. Purchased a 2000 Chief in red and cream about 2 months ago in rockford, IL. The guy who sold it to me said the bike was his buddys who passed away and the last time it was ridden was 10 yrs ago to the funeral. Whether thats true or not is irrelevant- its a used bike with 16k miles and theres no telling what issues exist without going through it with a fine tooth comb.

A little bit anout me: I am a DIY internet schooled mechanic. I source info from youtube and other forums. I wrench to save money but more importantly to gain knowledge, experience, and to learn the bike. This will be my first time wrenching on a motorcycle.

I chose this bike because i like harley and indian cruisers and the gilroy indians look like the love child of the two.

I wrench on the weekends when time permits but with no garage if the weather sucks i cant get much done. It is my goal to give this bike a second life and to share my wisdom with others as there are no maintenance videos or how-to's on these bikes other than the manuals which has me scratching my head most of the time. Anyways thanks for having me. I have some write-ups to post and a host of questions when you guys are ready.
Good luck with it they are sharp. One of the members on here @pablo94 had one and actually I believe he still may. He mite be able to help you out he’s fairly knowledgeable with the Gilroys. I tagged him I’m sure if he sees this he’ll hit you back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
20190914_171634~2.jpg

Old pic given to me by seller. When i bought it the seat and exhaust had been swapped out. I forgot to take pics before tearing the bike down.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Now that's an indian. i'm new to indian i ride a RM. but being on this forum an seeing so many pic's of the gilroy. i love them. the color, the design just pure indian.

·
Silver member
4,811 Posts
Let me know what you might need. I can help you with part sources, manuals, advice, or whatever. My Gilly has been on the road continuously for nearly 20 years.

Once you do certain things they become pretty dependable. First is don't follow the 99-01 Gilroy service manual. It was published poorly to satisfy the federal requirements. Buy a 2003 Spirit/Scout manual and you will be much better off.

Here's mine, I bought it brand new in May of 2001 not a Chief but...

IMG_0352.JPG
IMG_0830.JPG
Jesse.jpg

Reactions: Kriss and WillyH
1 - 19 of 19 Posts