Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So sometime last week we'd gone for a short ride - it was cold and it had rained the night before, so the roads were a tad bit wet. We got back and the back of the bike had spray all over it, and given that there could be salt mixed it with it I figured it would be best to at least get that crap off.

So I used a spray wash and a very soft cloth to clean off the back of the bags and rear fender, threw water over the whole back end to rinse it off and thought nothing of it. Last night I was out in the garage checking the tires and my wife noticed what looked like tiny scratches on the back of the bags. Sure enough, there are. They're not deep enough to feel; the paint feels totally smooth and uniform. But they're there.

Never had the problem on the 2 Vics I owned, and of course it wasn't an issue on the H-D's I owned, as H-D paint is indestructible with its 100000000 coats of clearcoat.

$30,000 bike with paint soft enough to scratch that easily. O_O

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,607 Posts
Yeap, I noticed the same thing. I went out and purchased a bundle of micro fiber towels just for the bike. Honestly, the type of light you use makes a big difference on how you see the paint. When the bike is outside in the sun you will see very little imperfections in the finish. Using high output florescent lights will usually give you the best light for looking at the details in the finish. When I inspected my new bike it was outside but after I got home and put it into the garage I started to find all the little surface scratches. The dealer is going to fix the scratches that I did find when I inspected the bike. At that point I will have them go over the rest of the bike to make it represent my 30K investment.

I am not very concerned about it. For me the paint needs to last 4 to 5 years before I will get the itch to want to redo it myself and make it unique. I see some airbrush graphics sometime in my future. Dean E

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Mine has had blemishes since new. When in the shade it is perfect, bright sun brings them out. I am not riding a show bike. It gives it character.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine has had blemishes since new. When in the shade it is perfect, bright sun brings them out. I am not riding a show bike. It gives it character.
I'd feel the same way if it was "riding damage," but this is my fault - dumb N00b Move. :(

Meguiar's SwirlX should fix it right up though.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eh, going to try SwirlX :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I noticed the same thing. Wiped some dust off the rear fender with my finger and it left some scratches. I've waxed it several times and it's better, but that is some soft paint or clear coat. Had the same thing happen on the fairing and thought there might have been something on the new lint free cloth, but I'm pretty sure it's just very easy to scratch the paint. Gonna check out the SwirlX

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
504 Posts
Always used SwirlX, but with the Thunderblack I found Meguiars "9" will take them all out, plus will leave it very, very shiny! Both products from Meguiars are very, very good!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Never heard of swirlX. I had a goldwing before this and it had an indestructible finish. Do I go to one of the many fine automotive retailers and find swirlX?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never heard of swirlX. I had a goldwing before this and it had an indestructible finish. Do I go to one of the many fine automotive retailers and find swirlX?
Check Meguiar's site. Only AutoZone carries SwirlX in my area, even though Advance Auto Parts carries other Meguiar's stuff, they don't have carry SwirlX. Odd but true.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Interesting that I covered my bike a few times with meguiar's carnuba wax when I got it and it seems to be ok but I find I need to really rise it off after riding along the Florida shore. The salt in the air leaves a coating that you really see the next day. I called the meguiar's hot line and they recommended the cheaper carnuba versus the new poly carnuba at twice the price. I agree with others that you need to handle this paint a little different than harley. The old harley attitude just spray it when dirty with quick detailing stuff and wipe it down should be done after rinsing it off good or you see little scratches.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting that I covered my bike a few times with meguiar's carnuba wax when I got it and it seems to be ok but I find I need to really rise it off after riding along the Florida shore. The salt in the air leaves a coating that you really see the next day. I called the meguiar's hot line and they recommended the cheaper carnuba versus the new poly carnuba at twice the price. I agree with others that you need to handle this paint a little different than harley. The old harley attitude just spray it when dirty with quick detailing stuff and wipe it down should be done after rinsing it off good or you see little scratches.
Yep guys. Paint is soft. Most all new bikes have that water based paint and it is not same. I recently had F6B and Honda owners are really not happy with the soft paint on their "Tupperware". My F6B was red and I am firm believer in Liquid Glass. I did not have those issues. LG provides hard protection the more you use it. I use it on Roadmaster. No issues. Use it on chrome and eveything

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's true you have to be careful with the paint, I did some damage to the paint on my RM with a bike cover on a windy day. It took a lot of buffing to get the shine back.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Clean your bike's paint really good then apply Liquid Glass, it puts a hard protection over the soft Indian paint job.

Some say too costly and time consuming, but what do you really got to lose, a few bucks and paint marring.

---
Texas Hill Country - Wimberley
Ahote - 2015 Blue and Ivory Chieftain

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I've just made my peace with the fact that there's nothing that can be done about the paint softness that doesn't cost thousands to fix (i.e., having it repainted or at least CC'ed). Hell, you can't even safely wash the thing without doing some paint damage.

So I'll just ride the hell out of it and enjoy it, and perhaps get it repainted and CC"ed when I can afford to. :)

Reactions: TucsonRdmstr

·
Registered
185 Posts
Clean your bike's paint really good then apply Liquid Glass, it puts a hard protection over the soft Indian paint job.

Some say too costly and time consuming, but what do you really got to lose, a few bucks and paint marring.

---
Texas Hill Country - Wimberley
Ahote - 2015 Blue and Ivory Chieftain
I agree with Roadie, just cleaned my bike with first wash, then used liquid glass. Took my time and actually enjoyed getting into all the details the bike has. Bottom line, the paint appears to be harder. Dust wipes off very easy now where before it kind of stuck to the paint. Plan is to do this a few more times. Instructions indicate it is a cumulative coating that only gets harder. So why not!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with 47909Rider, I'll just ride the hell out of it and certainly enjoy it. Bought mine in December I have 6k miles already on it. Maybe I'll paint it in a few years... or buy me one them purdy dark horses. Hehe

·
Registered
14 Posts
So sometime last week we'd gone for a short ride - it was cold and it had rained the night before, so the roads were a tad bit wet. We got back and the back of the bike had spray all over it, and given that there could be salt mixed it with it I figured it would be best to at least get that crap off.

So I used a spray wash and a very soft cloth to clean off the back of the bags and rear fender, threw water over the whole back end to rinse it off and thought nothing of it. Last night I was out in the garage checking the tires and my wife noticed what looked like tiny scratches on the back of the bags. Sure enough, there are. They're not deep enough to feel; the paint feels totally smooth and uniform. But they're there.

Never had the problem on the 2 Vics I owned, and of course it wasn't an issue on the H-D's I owned, as H-D paint is indestructible with its 100000000 coats of clearcoat.

$30,000 bike with paint soft enough to scratch that easily. O_O

You need to machine polish it...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts