Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gang,today I turned the 40,000 mile mark so the oil and filter needed changing again.So I got her good and hot,put her up on my lift,shut her down, drained the oil, changed the filter,then refilled the oil to spec.After I had completed the task,I usually start it,let it run for 10 minutes or so to check for leaks,shut it down,allow it to set for another 10 minutes or so ,then check to make sure the oil level is correct.
Well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you think I could get that machine to turn over and start??????????? I tried and tried,looking to see if I had knocked any wires off or had missed something along the way,and was getting pretty frustrated.Then after another ten minutes or so, thinking about my no start problem,I happened to look behind the machine at the wall which is about 15 feet away from my lift,and whadaya think I saw hanging there??????????The KEY FOB!! DUH! Right where I always put it when I come in after riding the bike.But the FOB has to be within a couple feet of the machine so the computer will recognise it,or it won't do anything.And I've only changed the oil in this thing 20 times so one would think that one would not forget to have it close by,so it will start!!
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :oops: :rolleyes::whistle::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek: What a putze!! lol lol lol

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup!! It was one of those days,today.lol And I was kinda embarrased to post it,but I figured you guys could probably use a good laugh today!! Double DUH!!!!!!!!! lol lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lol my bike before my dh didnt have a key or key fob so I run into the same problem all the time now.

My brain doesn't like to learn new things...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
That's what I like about Ride Command...a message comes up that basically says (and I'm paraphrasing) "Hey idiot, no key fob detected, enter your password or pull your head out of your a** and get the fob or we'll shut you down in 3...2...1...."

Course, sometimes it says that when the fob is sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I purchased my used RM this spring, "key fob not detected" was pretty common, so I did the battery replacement in the fob and "Presto" no more messages....now it only acts up when I'm in a crowded parking lot, like yesterday, when I received many angry looks and death stares because I was honking at them...

·
Registered
272 Posts
My buddy Wade always claimed: the older the oil filter, the better it filters...:cautious::cautious:

·
Administrator
16,561 Posts
If it can happen to you, Dave, it’s just a question of time and until it happens to all of us!

·
Bronze member
1,985 Posts
Learning how to start without the FOB is a must IMHO. Seen people in a hurry lose their FOB and end up stuck where they shut the bike down. Sometimes a long way from home. A little reminder in your wallet works well.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed Hink!! But my point was to "HOPEFULLY" save the next guy from the same embarrassment like bone head me just went thru trying to figure out WTF I did "WRONG",or the "WHY" she wouldn't start.DUUUUUUUUUH!!!!!! lol But then again,THIS is how we LEARN so we,or should I say DUMMY ME" does NOT do it again!!Double DUH!!! lol lol lol Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Regarding "Ironbutt70's" post: Yes!! You are quite correct sir.BUT, one of the first things I did when I bought this machine was to memorize the KEY FOBS code number,THEN, how to use that number should I be dumb enough to lose, misplace,[forget about it like i just did,duh!] or not keep up with the battery,[ changing it atleast once a year].

But then again,I'm not too bright ,which I'm sure you guys already know!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well gang,today I turned the 40,000 mile mark so the oil and filter needed changing again.So I got her good and hot,put her up on my lift,shut her down, drained the oil, changed the filter,then refilled the oil to spec.After I had completed the task,I usually start it,let it run for 10 minutes or so to check for leaks,shut it down,allow it to set for another 10 minutes or so ,then check to make sure the oil level is correct.
Well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you think I could get that machine to turn over and start??????????? I tried and tried,looking to see if I had knocked any wires off or had missed something along the way,and was getting pretty frustrated.Then after another ten minutes or so, thinking about my no start problem,I happened to look behind the machine at the wall which is about 15 feet away from my lift,and whadaya think I saw hanging there??????????The KEY FOB!! DUH! Right where I always put it when I come in after riding the bike.But the FOB has to be within a couple feet of the machine so the computer will recognise it,or it won't do anything.And I've only changed the oil in this thing 20 times so one would think that one would not forget to have it close by,so it will start!!
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :oops: :rolleyes::whistle::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek: What a putze!! lol lol lol
Sheet happens, you should know abd usr your PIN code often, just to keep min practice...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks IronButt70 - you just reminded me what I've been telling myself to do for months...learn how to start the bike without the FOB. Would be nice if dealers pointed that out and actually showed you how to do it before you ride away, but I suspect that's asking too much.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Sheet happens, you should know abd usr your PIN code often, just to keep min practice...
When I first got this machine,the PIN code was just one of the first things I learned how to use!! (y)Why?? Cause this machine is just a tad on the heavy side :eek: to be pushing it "PERIOD" never mind ,all the way home!! :rolleyes::eek::eek:
And then I discovered that Triple AAA ,which I have on both my four wheelers,also offered a plan for MC towing for short money.So I jumped right on it.So I believe I now have all the bases covered ! Dave!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts