Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was part of an email I got today for a job. Some or all of this may be Greek to some but the highlighted word is supposed to "denormalize" - basically you have the data arranged so that reporting and analysis is faster.
upload_2019-4-23_13-54-23.png

·
Silver member
4,261 Posts
This was part of an email I got today for a job. Some or all of this may be Greek to some but the highlighted word is supposed to "denormalize" - basically you have the data arranged so that reporting and analysis is faster.
View attachment 483482
I prefer to beat my data structures on a daily basis.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
View attachment 483482
Are you supposed to yell and call the data names and if that doesn't work start telling it tasteless jokes like "yo momma was a hard drive"?.

·
Bronze Member
1,369 Posts
You have to use them to set an example for all of the other data structures. If you don't do that anarchy will ensue and you will have chaos.

Ultimately, a bit wrangler would have to be called rein in all of those wild 0's and 1's.

·
Bronze member
2,169 Posts
If you like/appreciate structured data and are happy using a spreadsheet as a database and you enjoy the concept of importing data from a spreadsheet into an online database for 'say' an online store.

DO NOT ever look at a product data spreadsheet from a European motorcycle company.

Your head will (probably) explode.

I mean all that work and it is 70% useless due to simple yet catastrophic mistakes in how they implemented their data structure.

I've seen 3 from fairly high-end companies, and each made the same mistakes.

You've been warned. :mad:

WD./

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have an unending supply of idiots and a lot have fallen victims to the Peter Principle (you are eventually promoted to your level of incompetence). I found a $10MM mistake in the books at one company and $12MM mistake at another. Some managers are telling me I should be averaging averages in their reports. Actuaries told me once that I could not automate their reports - my reply "Unless you are just making shit up, I can".

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
View attachment 483482
That is pretty much what I do every day for a telecomm company

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
View attachment 483482
LOL....I think I got the same email. I've been a DBA for going on 20 years now. And....I'm always amazed at the folks who send me emails for desktop support jobs...you know damned well they didn't even read your resume at that point, and I am quick to point it out to them and tell them not to bother me unless its for a DBA job......lol.

I probably get no less than 10 emails a week, promptly followed by a phone call because I didn't reply to their email in 2 minutes......lol

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL....I think I got the same email. I've been a DBA for going on 20 years now. And....I'm always amazed at the folks who send me emails for desktop support jobs...you know damned well they didn't even read your resume at that point, and I am quick to point it out to them and tell them not to bother me unless its for a DBA job......lol.

I probably get no less than 10 emails a week, promptly followed by a phone call because I didn't reply to their email in 2 minutes......lol
What's really bad is when they want a DBA or BI Developer but want to pay the same as a desktop support position.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
What's really bad is when they want a DBA or BI Developer but want to pay the same as a desktop support position.
If....and I say if I reply, I always ask what the pay grade is........about half start to choke when I tell them what I make now......lol.

wish I.T. folks could be like the welder that showed up for a job interview for a welding position and made 2 welds...one terrible and spotty, the other perfect......The job description said pay 18-30 bucks an hour.......when the guy doing the interview asked what was up with the welds, the guy replied...the crappy weld is 18 bucks an hour...the good one 30......you decide which one of me you are hiring!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts