Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the Chicago land area and do not have many options on Indian Dealerships I can go to. Currently Two( 3 by end of week with New Indian Dealership opening up in Lake Villa). I thought I contact the Dealership I purchased my my 19" SF DH from since I had a Chassis Default Light that just came on and when it comes on, the left pod with turn signals, horn and high/low beams do not work. They do not provide loaner motorcycles (given not all Motorcycle dealerships provide this convenience), do not provide pick-up service (without paying $65 each time) and are not able to look at the bike till October. No discount rate for customer who purchased bike from them or other advantage. Called a different dealership equal in distance and they will get me in by next week, they made some schedule changes to accommodate me because they don't want me riding a Motorcycle with no turn signals working or horn. Asked if I had the shift sensor recall done and they would get it done when I came in. Completely different experience on how they managed my request and sincerity behind the call.

I been on the forums for the past year and have read how many Indian riders love their dealership and how they are taken care of, wish I had that experience with the dealership I purchased my bike from.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine also had a really long wait time when I've gone in for a bike that wouldn't start. They are usually friendly, but it could be a new year by the time I got it back. You're not losing much going somewhere else and I doubt they are either with those kinds of lines.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine also had a really long wait time when I've gone in for a bike that wouldn't start. They are usually friendly, but it could be a new year by the time I got it back. You're not losing much going somewhere else and I doubt they are either with those kinds of lines.
Agreed, just makes it hard for me to recommend a dealership I purchased a bike from when it comes to the overall experience when owning the bike.

·
Registered
84 Posts
sounds like many of your gripes are SOP for any dealership at least if they are busy, minus maybe the "sincerity behind the call." they can't help if they have a bunch of people in front of you waiting on service. seems rare that any place would even have some kind of pickup service or loaner bike. and why should they offer a discount because you bought your bike from them? aren't most of their customers people who bought from them? maybe they are a bad dealership, maybe not. but the gripes you presented don't seem to make the case either way for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don’t think the OP is being unreasonable. It’s a new motorcycle and still under warranty, not safe to ride with Inoperable turn signals. The dealer, I’m sure has a enclosed trailer and truck to pick up and deliver with. But customer service is a thing of the past with many Businesses today, once you sign the papers they are done with you. To the OP, I hope the other dealer takes care of you.

·
Registered
337 Posts
When I had an issue with my 2019 Springfield's check engine light coming on and the engine cutting off while riding it, my dealer scheduled their driver/enclosed trailer to come pick up my bike at no charge because it was unsafe to drive it. So far, my dealer has been very accommodating, with good customer service. I don't mind waiting a week for service.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds like many of your gripes are SOP for any dealership at least if they are busy, minus maybe the "sincerity behind the call." they can't help if they have a bunch of people in front of you waiting on service. seems rare that any place would even have some kind of pickup service or loaner bike. and why should they offer a discount because you bought your bike from them? aren't most of their customers people who bought from them? maybe they are a bad dealership, maybe not. but the gripes you presented don't seem to make the case either way for me.
Completely understand your view on it and if you are running a dealership based on SOP, then what differentiates the dealership from any other dealership? Might as well get rid of dealerships and just have demo stores for riding and viewing, then just purchase bike on-line (am not advocating for this), If the goal is to just sell units and not build customer loyalty.

My disappointment is based on the many reviews from others on the forum as to how they have been treated and taken care of by their dealership. My personal opinion is not a fact that it is a bad dealership, but a dealership in my opinion that does not build customer loyalty to them (not the brand).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in the Chicago land area and do not have many options on Indian Dealerships I can go to. Currently Two( 3 by end of week with New Indian Dealership opening up in Lake Villa). I thought I contact the Dealership I purchased my my 19" SF DH from since I had a Chassis Default Light that just came on and when it comes on, the left pod with turn signals, horn and high/low beams do not work. They do not provide loaner motorcycles (given not all Motorcycle dealerships provide this convenience), do not provide pick-up service (without paying $65 each time) and are not able to look at the bike till October. No discount rate for customer who purchased bike from them or other advantage. Called a different dealership equal in distance and they will get me in by next week, they made some schedule changes to accommodate me because they don't want me riding a Motorcycle with no turn signals working or horn. Asked if I had the shift sensor recall done and they would get it done when I came in. Completely different experience on how they managed my request and sincerity behind the call.

I been on the forums for the past year and have read how many Indian riders love their dealership and how they are taken care of, wish I had that experience with the dealership I purchased my bike from.
It's tough sometimes to find that "perfect" dealer. Before I purchased my Chief Classic from Twigg Motorsports in Hagerstwon, MD, I researched their online reviews. All gave glowing reviews with the exception on that "one guy". He's probably the one who has been married to five different women and doesn't realize the problem is him.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's tough sometimes to find that "perfect" dealer. Before I purchased my Chief Classic from Twigg Motorsports in Hagerstwon, MD, I researched their online reviews. All gave glowing reviews with the exception on that "one guy". He's probably the one who has been married to five different women and doesn't realize the problem is him.
Agreed, but damn we shouldn't stop looking for perfection (subjective) whatever that means to an individual. But, if I have an issue with my Bike that renders the safety features (Turn Signals, Horn) non functioning. I would like to believe that a dealership could step-up and get addressed. But, I maybe asking for too much.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Let me guess, the good dealership that's taking care of you is iMotorsports Route 66 in ELmhurst

·
Registered
84 Posts
Completely understand your view on it and if you are running a dealership based on SOP, then what differentiates the dealership from any other dealership? Might as well get rid of dealerships and just have demo stores for riding and viewing, then just purchase bike on-line (am not advocating for this), If the goal is to just sell units and not build customer loyalty.
i agree that having any/all of the things you mentioned can make a dealership stand out over others and more desirable, but does not having them make a dealership a bad one? or is it not "building customer loyalty" if most dealerships aren't offering those things? besides the "sincerity of the call" and the 2nd dealership just happening to be less busy, are they offering any of those same services? and if you take out the fact that they are less busy, and just left with the "sincerity of the call", are they that much better than the first? maybe all dealerships should have loaner bikes and services to pick up non-functional bikes for customers. but the fact is those are not commonly available services so it's tough to fault a business for not having them.

as for the idea of just having demo stores or getting rid of dealerships, we may be headed that way. we already have Carvana for cars. Indian offers delivering your bike to you without ever setting foot in a store. there are dealerships that are completely operated online like in Florida where you may not talk to a single person. maybe it's a colder way to do business, but society may be valuing this more and more versus a friendly smile or fringe benefits.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd give a big thumbs up to Route 66 (imotorsports) also. Last night coming home, just after making a right, the bike started acting up (idle fluctuating; throttle unresponsive), so I pulled onto the shoulder; powered it down; then re-started. The bike seemed fine (except for the engine light being lit). I ran over to Route 66 this morning about when the opened (there around 9:30). The service guy said I could wait in the showroom while he checked it out. Maybe a half an hour later, he handed me my FOB and said it was good to go. Apparently making the right turn had tripped the tip-over sensor, even though it wasn't leaned over far enough to scrape the floorboards. My baby is acting fine again.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i agree that having any/all of the things you mentioned can make a dealership stand out over others and more desirable, but does not having them make a dealership a bad one? or is it not "building customer loyalty" if most dealerships aren't offering those things? besides the "sincerity of the call" and the 2nd dealership just happening to be less busy, are they offering any of those same services? and if you take out the fact that they are less busy, and just left with the "sincerity of the call", are they that much better than the first? maybe all dealerships should have loaner bikes and services to pick up non-functional bikes for customers. but the fact is those are not commonly available services so it's tough to fault a business for not having them.

as for the idea of just having demo stores or getting rid of dealerships, we may be headed that way. we already have Carvana for cars. Indian offers delivering your bike to you without ever setting foot in a store. there are dealerships that are completely operated online like in Florida where you may not talk to a single person. maybe it's a colder way to do business, but society may be valuing this more and more versus a friendly smile or fringe benefits.
"Does not having them make a dealership a bad one?" That depends on the consumer, and since this post is based solely on my opinion it does make them be perceived by me as regular. In regards to the other dealership, being less busy. They moved around their schedule to accommodate me. I respect your view, but maybe I expect more or too much; but would think that safety operating equipment (Turn signals, Horn) not working would, Customer who bought the bike there, and word of mouth of how they go above and beyond would differentiate them. I don't own a dealership and have never ran one, so I can only speak of my experience and read the testimonials of others on the forum of how they were taken care of. Just as someone recently posted on this thread that the same dealership that will be taking care of me, took care of him immediately when his check engine light came on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Which one, I have been to both. Bought my bike in Monee and had service there a while ago, and have been to the one in Elmhurst for parts and service. Those are the only two I know of. And I have had good experiences with both. I also did not have warranty issues. A paying customer, might be treated differently.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Which one, I have been to both. Bought my bike in Monee and had service there a while ago, and have been to the one in Elmhurst for parts and service. Those are the only two I know of. And I have had good experiences with both. I also did not have warranty issues. A paying customer, might be treated differently.
I bought my bike at Monee as well, but it be a while before they could get the bike in. Cannot speak of their service work since I'm not able to get there anytime soon. Elmhurst will take care of me by next week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts