Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It was in for service yesterday in St Charles. This lady rode off before, I could get to talk with her. According to Chris in Service, the company that did this is no longer.
IF I was into trikes, the only thing body wise that I'd have done differently was eliminate the center brake light and have the original brake light in each side.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I like the color scheme on the fairing...I wonder why Indian did not use something similar...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I don't recall the Roadsmith, but the Hannigans are very nice..
Hannigan won't let you do a self install on there kits, Roadsmith will. That in itself makes Roadsmith a much better buy if your mechanically inclined. But either way the ride will be substandard for those that are use to riding two wheels. They look cool but ride like shit.

·
Silver member
3,557 Posts
I'm not a trike fan either but the Indians can be made into the best looking ones.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Hannigan won't let you do a self install on there kits, Roadsmith will. That in itself makes Roadsmith a much better buy if your mechanically inclined. But either way the ride will be substandard for those that are use to riding two wheels. They look cool but ride like shit.
Really...for as much as they cost.. you'd think Cadillac ride..
Does that go for the HD factory trike so also?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Really...for as much as they cost.. you'd think Cadillac ride..
Does that go for the HD factory trike so also?
When I owned my goldwing it rode like a dump truck (I weigh bout 175) but that's because the goldwing is made for much heavier riders. Trike company's set up their trike kits to simulate that same ride. HD trike riders dont have to worry about this as their to busy going back and picking up parts that fell off the trike. Goldwing engineers set up their M/C for fat slobs and HD engineers make those fat slobs go back and pick up the parts.

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,478 Posts
Heck, I see fat slobs on nearly everything these days. I look like a damn circus act on my Enfield or SR400, but my 800 lb. Indian Vintage is very 'slimming'' in that it is huge enough to relatively diminish my own considerable mass when riding it. It's all smoke and mirrors.

·
Registered
757 Posts
When I owned my goldwing it rode like a dump truck (I weigh bout 175) but that's because the goldwing is made for much heavier riders. Trike company's set up their trike kits to simulate that same ride. HD trike riders dont have to worry about this as their to busy going back and picking up parts that fell off the trike. Goldwing engineers set up their M/C for fat slobs and HD engineers make those fat slobs go back and pick up the parts.
I agree 100%. Have you ever raced or chased a Gold Wing? Those fucking things can't get out of their own way. Slow, can't handle well, can't lean, under powered tractors.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree 100%. Have you ever raced or chased a Gold Wing? Those fucking things can't get out of their own way. Slow, can't handle well, can't lean, under powered tractors.
Hmmm, My 2008 Goldwing had much more power than my 2016 Roadmaster! Top end on a bone stock Goldwing is 129 mph, know that from personal experience. Slow speed handling wasn't the best, but high speed handing was pretty good. But it was slightly top heavy and a little boxy, and the seating position sucks! Anyone tells you a Goldwing is slow and under powered, never sat on a 1832cc (2001 to current). If you followed one that was as you described, then the rider was under-skilled.

Put the two in front of me, and I'll get on the Roadmaster every time. Power-wise though, the Roadmaster can't compete with the Goldwing.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hmmm, My 2008 Goldwing had much more power than my 2016 Roadmaster! Top end on a bone stock Goldwing is 129 mph, know that from personal experience. Slow speed handling wasn't the best, but high speed handing was pretty good. But it was slightly top heavy and a little boxy, and the seating position sucks! Anyone tells you a Goldwing is slow and under powered, never sat on a 1832cc (2001 to current). If you followed one that was as you described, then the rider was under-skilled.

Put the two in front of me, and I'll get on the Roadmaster every time. Power-wise though, the Roadmaster can't compete with the Goldwing.
OK, sure, but the push button rear suspension adjustment with with programmable presets must suck. As must the front forks with anti dive valve.
Surely the Roadmaster must handle the twisties better than the Slow Wing I mean Gold Wing.

·
5,478 Posts
This post is the complete opposite of my impression of the GL1800. We've owned two of them, a 2002, and a 2008. I've owned two Polaris Indians, a 2015 Classic, and my current 2016 Vintage. I live in the Black Hills area, so we ride hills and curves, as well as 75-80 mph interstates.

First off, a 'well ridden' GL1800 should leave the Indian 111 machines in curves. They are amazingly stable when heeled over and can achieve deeper lean angles than any of the low-seat, floor-boarded cruisers.

The GL1800 engine is a low-to-mid-range torque monster that gives nothing away to the 111 in sheer grunt or acceleration. I don't think there's probably much difference between the two in a balls-out acceleration contest, but I sure wouldn't bet against the Wing being ahead of the Indian.

I feel the Wing would be the faster bike on the top end of things, but maybe that would be because of the Indian's speed limiter spoiling the party prematurely, but I still doubt if the Indian is capable of more than an honest 115 anyway.

The GL1800 is a mountain of plastic, but it's a mistake to underestimate the bike's performance, they are impressively capable machines for their size.

·
5,478 Posts
Surely the Roadmaster must handle the twisties better than the Slow Wing I mean Gold Wing.
No, that's not "surely" at all. If nothing else, the Roadmaster will run out of lean angle before the GL does, and the Roadmaster doesn't have enough motor to outrun a Wing on the straight sections.

Yes, the Goldwing is a 900 lb load of plastic, but keep in mind that the GL1800 six is rated at 118-120 hp, so it has a fairly steep power advantage from the get-go.

·
5,478 Posts
I suspect that you were 'chasing or racing' a Goldwing being ridden by someone who does not know how to take advantage of the bike's full potential, which would probably describe three quarters of that model's riders (as it does an equal percentage of V-twin' cruiser riders).

·
Rider
1,205 Posts
Well, I bought my first Goldwing in 1982...bought my second one in 2005...and bought my Roadmaster in 2016.

The Goldwings pulled my trailer (Leesure Lite) and out-performed my Roadmaster in all conditions. Way more power, was very smooth and ran nice and cool.

I got my 'second' childhood at 60 years of age, and love my Roadmaster. Hope it lasts at least half as long as my Goldwings did, with as many issues as my Goldwings had (basically none).

I can see another Goldwing in my 'later life' future.

--
Gordon

1 - 20 of 46 Posts