Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s a small amount of options in Ontario where you can buy an Indian but these guys are just trouble from the beginning. I won’t mention who but will tell you that my previous dealer - Peak Powers were way better and regret not buying from them but the price was big enough to draw me elsewhere.

• messes up the invoice 4 times
  • tried to sneak in costs never agreed on
  • tried to charge me a fee for the 0% finance offered by Indian - I refused and brought a cheque
  • Date of arrival late by a month
  • parts I ordered ? said they weren’t available but when I called service , they were available and I set an install day...got the heat grip , passenger backrest support. Waiting on black highway bars but might go chrome (not sure yet)
  • Service told me 2 hours to put heat grips and it took 6 hours while I waited.

The worst was the unnecessary stress in communicating with the sales person . Just awful.

Install SCRATCHED BARS.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Oh my God! Sorry about this. Some Indian dealerships are classless. There is one dealership here in Central Florida where the reviews are very similar to yours. So sad

·
Rider
944 Posts
It's been my experience, in the Tampa metro area, that Harley shops hire sales and service personnel who have had experience selling to adult customers in other venues. They dress in a casual business attire and service people wear safety vests and are required to actually possess mechanical skills.
Indian dealers hire " kids" from metric shops to sell and service bikes. Most have only one or two Indian mechanics on staff and use the word " dude " as part of their normal greetings. If you want to tell who the senior people are look for the most piercings and tattoos coupled with hair shaved on the sides and a carrot top.
Arrogance and disrespect don't cut it in a $20-30K product market.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been my experience, in the Tampa metro area, that Harley shops hire sales and service personnel who have had experience selling to adult customers in other venues. They dress in a casual business attire and service people wear safety vests and are required to actually possess mechanical skills.
Indian dealers hire " kids" from metric shops to sell and service bikes. Most have only one or two Indian mechanics on staff and use the word " dude " as part of their normal greetings. If you want to tell who the senior people are look for the most piercings and tattoos coupled with hair shaved on the sides and a carrot top.
Arrogance and disrespect don't cut it in a $20-30K product market.
you just described the kid who sold me the bike .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
There’s a small amount of options in Ontario where you can buy an Indian but these guys are just trouble from the beginning. I won’t mention who but will tell you that my previous dealer - Peak Powers were way better and regret not buying from them but the price was big enough to draw me elsewhere.

• messes up the invoice 4 times
  • tried to sneak in costs never agreed on
  • tried to charge me a fee for the 0% finance offered by Indian - I refused and brought a cheque
  • Date of arrival late by a month
  • parts I ordered ? said they weren’t available but when I called service , they were available and I set an install day...got the heat grip , passenger backrest support. Waiting on black highway bars but might go chrome (not sure yet)
  • Service told me 2 hours to put heat grips and it took 6 hours while I waited.
The worst was the unnecessary stress in communicating with the sales person . Just awful.

Install SCRATCHED BARS.
View attachment 605453
I had the same experience in Ohio. I'm now going over an hour away to a different dealer.
I don't mind mentioning the poor service dealership >>> Johnny K's Motorsports in Elyria Ohio.
The good dealership >>> Bair's Powersports in Canton Ohio.

I think the problem may be that some dealerships are focused on the Indian line and some are more focused on 4 wheelers, jet skis and sling shots.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These guys sell everything from Yamaha to Ducati and then some . But the other dealers sell a mix as well depending on location but not this ‘All you ca eat” location.

·
Rider
2019 Indian Chieftain DH In Black Smoke
1,365 Posts
I had the same experience in Ohio. I'm now going over an hour away to a different dealer.
I don't mind mentioning the poor service dealership >>> Johnny K's Motorsports in Elyria Ohio.

I think the problem may be that some dealerships are focused on the Indian line and some are more focused on 4 wheelers, jet skis and sling shots.
Bair’s in Canton I agree that they are very good. Their sales are not full of lies and BS
A quality Dealership
I bought a Vic Hammer from them
Their mechanic went over everything on the bike with me and double checked that all was right

·
Bronze member
1,367 Posts
Collect your complaints and approach the service manager and inform him of them and give him the opportunity to fix these issues that are service oriented. If you have no luck there bundle those unattended issues with the others that belong to the sales team and ask to see the owner in private. Explain these issues in a calm and measured fashion and be professional when you explain your disappointment and your hope for a more positive outcome for taking your time to explain this. No threats, anger, just pace your responses. Give the person the opportunity to right the issue. I think when a business belly’s up to their responsibility the customer usually stays in the fold of customers and spends money.
That being said it’s standard policy to charge a fee for arranging financing. Covid affected the supply chain and extremely large sales numbers of leisure vehicles in Ontario caused a short fall in supply as well. Parts supply was effected by these same issues.
I am curious though, did they charge you 2 or 6 hours on the heated grip install?

Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Collect your complaints and approach the service manager and him them the opportunity to fix these issues that are service oriented. If you have no luck there bundle those unattended issues with the others that belong to the sales team and ask to see the owner in private. Explain these issues in a calm and measured fashion and be professional when you explain your disappointment and your hope for a more positive outcome for taking your time to explain this. No threats, anger, just pace your responses. Give the person the opportunity to right the issue. I think when business belly’s up to their responsibility the customer usually stays in the fold of customers and spends money. Good luck.
Good luck! In my world the powers that be count beans, and that is ALL that matters. Sad really.

·
Bronze member
1,367 Posts
Good luck! In my world the powers that be count beans, and that is ALL that matters. Sad really.
I’ve had luck building relationships out of ash heaps. But I agree some nuts are harder to crack. Minor annoyances aside truly serious issues have a pathway to resolution. The deny,deny,deny method really can backfire.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I bought mine from the same dealer and experienced a few of the same issues. The deal was better than Peak, but I'm a little worried about the service dept. My buddy has had his in a couple times and we are both saying the same things about them.
I liked my salesman, he was just a regular guy and not pushy at all.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought mine from the same dealer and experienced a few of the same issues. The deal was better than Peak, but I'm a little worried about the service dept. My buddy has had his in a couple times and we are both saying the same things about them.
I liked my salesman, he was just a regular guy and not pushy at all.
No kidding !.

Dealer remorse .... guess you figured who it was.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,627 Posts
It seems to really come down to how many brands they sell. My local dealer was great during the sale but I've not been able to get my bike in for service at all. When I called for a minor problem with the gas lid lock, they treated me like I didn't know what I was talking about. I had a video of it not working and they didn't seem interested. They wanted me to drive the hour up and either leave the bike or drive back to come back later when they had the part. It's a little over a hour one way and I can't miss that much work.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
I feel the OP's pain. Took my '15 Vintage to the dealer for stage 2 cam install....what a nightmare.

Trailer bike to dealer and drop bike off. Dealer says should be done in 2-3 hours.

Call dealer later in the day, bike not ready yet, had a "small issue". Dropped front lifter, need to drop engine.

Call dealer 2 days later. Dealer man sez cams in, bike won't turn over, trying to figure out why.

Drive to dealer next day. Dealer sez engine turns over when spark plugs are out but not when plugs are in. Sez he called Polaris to discuss and Polaris sez it sounds/seems like compression issue due to collapsed rear lifter. I nicely say nope, bike with 11K miles, ran perfectly, no starting or running issues, more like index marks on gears not proper. Tell dealer man I will check in in a couple of days. Mention (nicely) to dealer of CraigB and Julian Steele cam install videos on the web, both clear and concise, not a complicated install but need to pay attention.

Call dealer next day, bike still not running and the two "mechanics" will be on it again next morning.

Call dealer next afternoon (Saturday). Dealer sez, suddenly bike is up and running as it should, not sure what was wrong or why bike wasn't running before, but now is running. Head to Uhaul and get trailer and head back to dealer. Take bike for a test ride before paying, bike seems to run as it should.

My best guess... dealer "mechanics" (Darell & Darrel) prolly re-read the manual and or maybe checked out the Vids I mentioned to the dealer man, and then in the morning checked the index marks on the cam gears, and corrected their fukups. Anyways, get bike home and it's a mess, oil and grime everywhere. WWW tire on the rear had tons of oil/grime from Darell & Darell spinning the wheel. Spent 1.5 hrs. on clean up. Got FuelMoto/CraigB tunes and loaded into bike, bike seems fine. There are a couple of dings in the chrome that were not there before I took my pristine Vintage to the dealer, but I have no way to prove the Darell & Darell dinged it, so.....

I was hesitant, for a couple of reasons, to take bike to the dealer for the cam install. A site member who lives about 140 miles from me who does his own mechanical work including his own cam installs and who has the needed cam tool, offered to work with me and get the cams installed. I really, really wish now that I had accepted his offer. Bike runs really good with the stage 2 cams. But because of the shade tree types (Darell & Darell) involvement, I feel a bit uneasy and about all I can do is hope and pray all is ok behind the cam cover. I'm not at all pleased or confident in the dealer I took the bike to, and I'm pissed at myself for taking it there in the 1st place.

Ok, rant over. And sorry for the hijack... But, dealers with sub par mechanics seems to be a pretty common problem mentioned on this site. HarleyD is probably better in that department, but they have their problems too. But an advantage the Harley drivers have is that there are good competent independent shops around that work on HD. At least that's the way it is around here in central NY. Ok, now my rant is over LOL.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I agree Bair's is definitely a good Indian dealership. My Challneger is the second Indian I've purchased through them and both times have been a good experience from the two owners down to my salesman.

·
Premium Member
2021 Indian Challenger Limited (Ruby Metallic)
35 Posts
Wow, I guess the Las Vegas Indian store is on par with the rest.. Tomorrow will be 1 week since, I decided to trade to my HD Tri-Glide in for a Challenger. I filled out the finance APP online last Tuesday afternoon, On Wednesday I got email from the Sales guy saying they needed a copy of my paystub. I promptly sent it over and then waited, and waited to hear back. I've called 2 a day every day since then, only to get the answer of "They are still waiting on the bank" from the Sales Guy. Friday afternoon I got the General Manager instead, and he explained that the Credit Union they are working with is being slow.

I shouldn't have to call 2 times a day to get feedback on something like this. It really sucks we only have one Indian Dealer here.

Reactions: ReBorn
1 - 20 of 38 Posts