Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I don't know if other's have experienced this but I had a vibration, sort of a loud buzzing somewhere in the 2200-2500 RPM range. I muted the sound system and ruled out audio vibrations. I had always thought it was the windshield and was something I had to live with. I was, thankfully, mistaken.

Holding on to the windshield did nothing to quell the buzzing. I pressed and held various areas on the dash panel and discovered that pinching the bottom of the dash panel, (a thumb on the plastic and index finger on the metal dash frame behind it), stopped the buzzing completely.

While tinkering around in the past, I had noticed that there were 2 unfilled holes at the bottom of the dash. The holes had indentations, indicating some form of fastener. There was no fastener in either hole, however. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the holes in the plastic did not line up perfectly with the holes in the metal dash frame behind it. Hmmm. At the time I figured it was just one of those manufacturing blunders where they created more fastening points than proved necessary. How many times have we all seen "extra" holes in some product without a fastener in it? I have lots of times.

Fast forward back to my road test and pinching of the dash panel and the wheels in my head are turning fast. I wonder....

Rather than trying to put screws into holes that are not aligned very well, I used black tie wraps. I could test my theory and not cause any potential damage to the dash. I am very pleased to report that it completely solved ALL of the buzzing!

Because the tie wraps are virtually invisible, I have decided to leave them in place for now.

Does anyone else have fasteners in these 2 holes? If so, pictures please. If they are supposed to be there, I will get some from Indian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
I too ran across this issue. 2015 Indian Chieftain first day out I was like what the hell is that quick buzz around 2500 RMP. At first I thought it was the windshield, but holding the windshield did not resolve the problem. After about 5 minutes of pushing and poking I pressedd on the lower instrument cover and Wala! No more buzzing. I also was thinking what is the purpose of these two open holes? I immediately contacted my dealer and asked if there is suppose to be a cover on the lower instrument panel that covers the electronics, thinking that they may have left a part off. I was informed by the dealer that they all have these open holes and there is no cover for the bottom instrument panel. Being that I don't always take the first answer I receive as gospel, I visited another Indian dealer in my area and discovered that all the Cheiftains are indeed the same with these two open holes and no cover to hide the electronic from below the instrument panel. My approach to fix the problem was to cut a 1 x 6 inch wide piece of cardboad and slide it between the bezel and the metal frame that it vibrates against.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too ran across this issue. 2015 Indian Chieftain first day out I was like what the hell is that quick buzz around 2500 RMP. At first I thought it was the windshield, but holding the windshield did not resolve the problem. After about 5 minutes of pushing and poking I pressedd on the lower instrument cover and Wala! No more buzzing. I also was thinking what is the purpose of these two open holes? I immediately contacted my dealer and asked if there is suppose to be a cover on the lower instrument panel that covers the electronics, thinking that they may have left a part off. I was informed by the dealer that they all have these open holes and there is no cover for the bottom instrument panel. Being that I don't always take the first answer I receive as gospel, I visited another Indian dealer in my area and discovered that all the Cheiftains are indeed the same with these two open holes and no cover to hide the electronic from below the instrument panel. My approach to fix the problem was to cut a 1 x 6 inch wide piece of cardboad and slide it between the bezel and the metal frame that it vibrates against.
Awesome! Validation always feels good. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I don't have any buzzing that I notice but will be looking at what I have for holes tomorrow. Thanks for these little things...it could be Vietnam ear syndrome ......

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great info, I looked at my'14 Chieftain, and sure enough there are indeed 2 holes under dash....I am super annoyed at squeaks and rattles so I did the Black ziptie fix as well.
Another thing that squeaked on mine were the plastic speaker covers, which I took off and put a bead of clear silicone all the way around....that took care of that noise too..
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Probably helps that I wear hearing aids when not on my Chieftain. I take them out when I ride so I would not hear it if mine did it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I noticed If I put pressure right in the center of the bezel the vibration noise went away I guessed it was due to it being a demo unit but good to know its easily corrected. Looking forward to my Chieftain this January. The waiting sux!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the info, I just got back from a thousand mile trip and wandered what was buzzing in the dash. I thought it was the speakers but this will give me some places to look.

·
Registered
240 Posts
thanks davetpilot:) I also had that annoying vibration and thought it was the windshield on my RM , but all the screws were tight and I couldn't find anything loose that would cause vibration.:mad: I located those holes on the bottom of the inside fairing and tie wrapped them. It worked, no more vibration or rattle:D thanks again

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Zip tied mine about 5 months ago, killed the annoying buzz from the front center of the fairing.

---
Live Free and Die Well
Texas Hill Country - Wimberley
2015 Indian Blue & Ivory Chieftain

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Guys,

I don't know if other's have experienced this but I had a vibration, sort of a loud buzzing somewhere in the 2200-2500 RPM range. I muted the sound system and ruled out audio vibrations. I had always thought it was the windshield and was something I had to live with. I was, thankfully, mistaken.

Holding on to the windshield did nothing to quell the buzzing. I pressed and held various areas on the dash panel and discovered that pinching the bottom of the dash panel, (a thumb on the plastic and index finger on the metal dash frame behind it), stopped the buzzing completely.

While tinkering around in the past, I had noticed that there were 2 unfilled holes at the bottom of the dash. The holes had indentations, indicating some form of fastener. There was no fastener in either hole, however. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the holes in the plastic did not line up perfectly with the holes in the metal dash frame behind it. Hmmm. At the time I figured it was just one of those manufacturing blunders where they created more fastening points than proved necessary. How many times have we all seen "extra" holes in some product without a fastener in it? I have lots of times.

Fast forward back to my road test and pinching of the dash panel and the wheels in my head are turning fast. I wonder....

Rather than trying to put screws into holes that are not aligned very well, I used black tie wraps. I could test my theory and not cause any potential damage to the dash. I am very pleased to report that it completely solved ALL of the buzzing!

Because the tie wraps are virtually invisible, I have decided to leave them in place for now.

Does anyone else have fasteners in these 2 holes? If so, pictures please. If they are supposed to be there, I will get some from Indian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have to thank you, this noise was driving me crazy. Now that I am well over 5000 miles the bike runs like a top, and I don't have to listen to the vibration. I only have one question, if you look closely at your picture it appears that there are springs on either side of the supposed instrument panel do you have any idea how these work? Also, will the zip ties restrict the function of these springs?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,679 Posts
My RM started buzzing when cold then stopped after riding for a while. I noticed this when the bike had 7500 miles on it. Got more pronounced and annoying the more I rode. I tried pushing up on the bottom of the dash and it seemed to help a little. Decided to loop a couple Ty wraps thru the holes and presto, the buzz is cured. If only the clanking noise could be cured that easily! Dean

·
Registered
13 Posts
My RM started buzzing when cold then stopped after riding for a while. I noticed this when the bike had 7500 miles on it. Got more pronounced and annoying the more I rode. I tried pushing up on the bottom of the dash and it seemed to help a little. Decided to loop a couple Ty wraps thru the holes and presto, the buzz is cured. If only the clanking noise could be cured that easily! Dean
I took many rides on demo's each sounded slightly different. What I did notice is that the rear trunk on RM would muffle the sound of the exhaust significantly compared to the Chieftain, which allowed me to hear more valve train noise. We all know that valve train noise is a fact a of life with a V Twin engine, some 111s just have more than others. If you haven't ridden other Indians with the 111, I recommend that you do to compare.

·
Rider
2015 Chieftain
638 Posts
Had 500 mile service today. Told service dept about the bad audio buzz and then told them about this forum's fix - the 2 ties and foam for the speaker covers and usb door. They agreed but only put 1 little rubber gasket on each speaker cover. This may have helped while they were in the garage but it failed as soon as got down the highway. So when I got home I added the 2 zip ties and good 1/8" weather stripping foam to the speaker covers and usb door. I then adjusted the equalizer to where there was less bass (-6). I took the bike out for a 40-50 mile ride with FM radio on and some bumpy roads. No more bad vibrations coming thru the speakers. For now, I will keep the stock speakers in even though I know the Polks are better quality. Many thanks to all who gave this advice.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
Interesting. My hearing is pretty bad so I can't tell you if my bike buzzes or clacks but it rides nice :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts