Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2014 Vintage, when my wife is riding with me I am getting a clack clank noise 1900-2400 RPM slowly rolling on and off the throttle. It has gotten more frequent over the last couple of rides but only when she is with me. I would leave her at home but that creates more noise when I get home and our couch has to be shared with a Saint Bernard.
Anyway, this noise has me annoyed thinking it is something aluminum clanking from the motor. She hears it too. I thought it was coming from the top right of the motor somewhere. She said it sounds like something by her right ankle area. Any ideas before I take it back to a dealer to check?
I am not sure what else to look at and if the dealer just takes it out single they will not duplicate it.
I am thinking I have a suspension level change making the belt transmit a noise....
500 mile change is complete -the belt checks fine sitting stagnant. I have around 1000 miles on it now. I am a 250 lb. 6'1" so by the time we load up - we are loaded.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It wouldn't be shark tail exhausts touching the curb? I am starting to wear off the bottom tip on one side....

·
Founding member
954 Posts
The rear shock on Classic/Vintage adjusted with spanner wrench. Not air like the chieftain. I notice mine needs to be turned in. The small petite woman I married was eaten by the one I'm with now.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The rear shock on Classic/Vintage adjusted with spanner wrench. Not air like the chieftain. I notice mine needs to be turned in. The small petite woman I married was eaten by the one I'm with now.
Damn... I thought only I had that problem. Nice to know I'm not alone. Course I'm no little guy either.

·
Registered
303 Posts
+1 on Rear Shock Adjustment
+1 on Fishtail exhaust, if installed

If it truly is power related, the belt and pulleys would be a good place to start. But here's a silly suggestion. I have found at times that very simple things can cause all sorts of crazy, loud, obnoxious and annoying sounds. Take your trusty tool kit and start going over every allen head bolt you can get the wrench on. Eliminate the possible simple problems first.

I would check the Right Passenger Foot Peg first. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
One other thought. Are you sure the mere power of the TS-111 isn't just making your wife's teeth chatter? :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Easy fix : 8 inches of duck tape, applied below the nose and above the chin! side note; if you don't like the couch, pull off very slowly when you get home

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
On my 2014 Vintage, when my wife is riding with me I am getting a clack clank noise 1900-2400 RPM slowly rolling on and off the throttle. It has gotten more frequent over the last couple of rides but only when she is with me. I would leave her at home but that creates more noise when I get home and our couch has to be shared with a Saint Bernard.
Anyway, this noise has me annoyed thinking it is something aluminum clanking from the motor. She hears it too. I thought it was coming from the top right of the motor somewhere. She said it sounds like something by her right ankle area. Any ideas before I take it back to a dealer to check?
I am not sure what else to look at and if the dealer just takes it out single they will not duplicate it.
I am thinking I have a suspension level change making the belt transmit a noise....
500 mile change is complete -the belt checks fine sitting stagnant. I have around 1000 miles on it now. I am a 250 lb. 6'1" so by the time we load up - we are loaded.
Welcome to the CLACKERS if the noise some in around 1800 revs goes out at 2500 revs & it sounds like the sound is coming from around your heads if so you are in a exclusive Club called the CLACKERS PS I hope its not the noise

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Solo saddle should fix it

·
Super Moderator
4,928 Posts
....all kidding aside, I had the same clank noise riding 2 up but the noise was only when I hit a hard bump. The tech at Lone Star Indian said it was the shock bottoming out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts