Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here had an issue with their bike making a strange 2-3kHz noise prior to the engine or components warming up? I have noticed this peculiar noise and it sounds as though something is broken on the bike. This only happens in the winters and once the bike has warmed up sufficiently, the nose disappears. Too bad this site won't allow me to upload audio files. Do please share your thoughts if you have had a similar issue and how you have had it resolved. Thanks
Noise Spectogram_Indian Chieftain 2014.JPG

·
Registered
716 Posts
Anyone here had an issue with their bike making a strange 2-3kHz noise prior to the engine or components warming up? I have noticed this peculiar noise and it sounds as though something is broken on the bike. This only happens in the winters and once the bike has warmed up sufficiently, the nose disappears. Too bad this site won't allow me to upload audio files. Do please share your thoughts if you have had a similar issue and how you have had it resolved. Thanks View attachment 6221
Is it a chirping noise?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,048 Posts
Good morning,
It would be helpful if you could provide more detail about when and how the chirp occurs. A misaligned rear belt can chirp and more so when cold.
--- Randall

·
Registered
161 Posts
It is indeed. Have you experienced it?
This chirping noise is coming from your drive belt. It started on mine after the dealer did the 5k check on the bike. They mis adjusted the drive belt. I took it back several times and found out that they were doing the adjustment incorrectly. I have the service manual. I got ahold of a very nice lady at Polaris(after a lot of BS) and told her what happened. She new about it and since I had already put 3000 miles on a misadjusted belt she sent me a coupon for a new belt and a free adjustment. No more squeal! She also mentioned that the engineers were looking into the rear pulley causing the squeal and that they are working on a fix for it. If your belt only squeals when the bike is cold and then stops after warm up you should be ok. That is the way mine started but after the bonehead dealer played with it it started squealing all the time.

Ride Hard!!

Indian rules!!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
This chirping noise is coming from your drive belt. It started on mine after the dealer did the 5k check on the bike. They mis adjusted the drive belt. I took it back several times and found out that they were doing the adjustment incorrectly. I have the service manual. I got ahold of a very nice lady at Polaris(after a lot of BS) and told her what happened. She new about it and since I had already put 3000 miles on a misadjusted belt she sent me a coupon for a new belt and a free adjustment. No more squeal! She also mentioned that the engineers were looking into the rear pulley causing the squeal and that they are working on a fix for it. If your belt only squeals when the bike is cold and then stops after warm up you should be ok. That is the way mine started but after the bonehead dealer played with it it started squealing all the time.

Ride Hard!!

Indian rules!!!!
Why do we keep hearing about dealers service departments that do more damage than good??? AND When Polaris / Indian knows about a problem or issue why don't they notify owners and relay information about if they are working on a fix or what??? Come on Polaris, be a little nicer to us owners who've shown our faith in you with our hard earned dollars.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Harley's have had squeaky belts for years. Rub a little candle wax (or silgluide) on the belt. Also the rubber pieces that mount the mufflers to the Harley's need to be lube too. Check Chieftains rubber mounts on the bags.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Why do we keep hearing about dealers service departments that do more damage than good??? AND When Polaris / Indian knows about a problem or issue why don't they notify owners and relay information about if they are working on a fix or what??? Come on Polaris, be a little nicer to us owners who've shown our faith in you with our hard earned dollars.
Like I said, they are working on it. If it was a seriuos issue they would let you know. No need to get angry about it. I have never heard of a belt failure yet. Dealers are usually dipshits regardless of where you go. If your not aware of that then sorry to the bearer of bad news. They are run by individuals. Not everyone is up to the task as you know. I found out by ordering a service manual and looking at the procedure for the belt adjustment. The manager at Auburn Indian was not following the manual. I decided to go to the Motoplex in Lynwood. What a difference!! Great guys!! Have you ever been to a Harley dealer?! Biggest bunch of pretentious Aholes on the planet! They will tell you anything to sell you their crappy bikes. Read the reviews and listen to what people say. Most of all educate yourself by purchasing and reading the service manual. They are available for $70. If you have to get something done then you know what is happening. You can do alot yourself too...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Harley's have had squeaky belts for years. Rub a little candle wax (or silgluide) on the belt. Also the rubber pieces that mount the mufflers to the Harley's need to be lube too. Check Chieftains rubber mounts on the bags.
Indian also mentioned that to me as well. They said to try a bar of Dove soap...

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Irish Spring or Ivory won't work? Just Dove?
o_O

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I concur
CLACK,CLACK

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I am extremely lucky or have very bad hearing. I have not had any clacking or belt noise. I do hear some valve train or engine noise that seems to be the nature of this motor but nothing that appears out of the ordinary. I had/ have two 103 harley motors and one had a lot of valve train noise (gone now) and the other one kept getting header leaks from the nuts backing off. That one now has double nuts on each stud. It will be interesting to see if any of these noises become problems. I had a v6 grand am for my daughter that made so much noise I couldn't stand it. The dealer kept saying it was normal for that year and motor until it warmed up.... I gave it to my brother and it went 274000 miles before other parts started to die.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I am extremely lucky or have very bad hearing. I have not had any clacking or belt noise. I do hear some valve train or engine noise that seems to be the nature of this motor but nothing that appears out of the ordinary. I had/ have two 103 harley motors and one had a lot of valve train noise (gone now) and the other one kept getting header leaks from the nuts backing off. That one now has double nuts on each stud. It will be interesting to see if any of these noises become problems. I had a v6 grand am for my daughter that made so much noise I couldn't stand it. The dealer kept saying it was normal for that year and motor until it warmed up.... I gave it to my brother and it went 274000 miles before other parts started to die.
Thanks for the input mate if the noise issue in the motor was constant through the rev range I would be a happy man but that's not what is happening the CALCK comes in at 1800revs & goes out about 2500revs?? & the motor is smooth as can be
CLACK,CLACK

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for the comments.I do appreciate it. A bit disappointed since, I paid $60K for the bike here in India. The matter stands escalated to the dealer and I hope it gets resolved soon. On the down side, I don't reckon that I shall be able to ride to India Bike Week India Bike Week 2015 after all.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts