Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Banned
830 Posts
I’m 42 years young. Vintage lineup was the best looking bike Indian made. Shame they dropped it.
I thought that the Chieftain line up was, but then they came out with the Challenger, now this is their best looking line up. Although a friend of mine informed me that the FTR is the best looking line up, but what does he know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too am shocked about no Vintage for 2022, but it is all about $$$ if they do not sell enough upper management will find ways to save money. I think not to worry, they will bring it back sometime.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Maybe the new springfield will take the place of the vintage in 2023.
It is more likely that the Springfield will only be offered with the open fender like the Darkhorse version. The valanced fender, made of three big pieces of metal, and the bigger original fairing on the Roadmaster are not long for this world. For Polaris, they are too expensive to make compared to the newer smaller fairing and much smaller open fender. Plus, they will also drop the original style hard bags that are on the Springfield and RM. It is like when Harley eliminated the Dyna frame. Dollars and cents rule and they didn't need Softails and Dynas when the models from both could exist on one frame. For Polaris' accountants there is no need for two fork mounted fairings, two styles of hard bags, and two front fenders.

Reactions: Bird Dog

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looks like a lot of work to keep the vintage clean! Love the look of the vintage though. Yep , that style of bike will be first one on the bucket list after my super chief is paid off. Polaris must have thought the younger guys wanted the stripped downed bobber styles and leave the cheiftain or Road master to us older guys!!

Just an after thought, do you guys think with the amount of orders placed recently that the used market in three years will be a gold mine of deals? I think yes . What do you think? Maybe a vintage will pop up and than be a great ride for you ? My mind kind of numbed when I first went to place an order at the headingly dealership and the sales guy put his finger on the down button on his keyboard and showed me all the orders waiting as we watched the bike orders passed by. That is why I bought a floor model last year.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
1,127 Posts
I love my Vintage but the valanced fenders and soft bags make the chrome wheels, spokes and white walls hard to keep clean and looking sharp. I just jack the beast up enough to get the tires off the ground so I can spin the wheels. Then I can sit in one place and clean and polish everything easily!
Wheel Tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Silver member
5,737 Posts
I love my Vintage but the valanced fenders and soft bags make the chrome wheels, spokes and white walls hard to keep clean and looking sharp. I just jack the beast up enough to get the tires off the ground so I can spin the wheels. Then I can sit in one place and clean and polish everything easily!
View attachment 668462 View attachment 668463
Same here, just jack the Vintage up a few inches have at it. I even spend the extra 60 seconds to unlatch and remove the bags. Valuable (LOL) tech tip... after cleaning up the WWWs I wet down a paper towel or shop cloth with Scotch Guard and give the whites a wipe with it. It makes cleaning the grime off the WWWs easier next time around ;)

I generally do a good detail/cleaning of my Vintage a couple of times per riding season. I probably spend about an hour at it, maybe a bit more. During the detailing I take time to check fasteners, exposed wiring, etc. Rare that I find any real issues, but it gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
currently without a bike .
61 Posts
You're better off buying a used one.

View attachment 657333

^ this is my favourite bike design of all times! Indian stopped offering this colour, so I thought about the Vintage Dark Horse. Eventually I ended up getting the Springfield DH to get the 116 and hard bags.

But if this colour was available I'd have this in a heartbeat. What a beauty!

I hope Indian offers more colours for the Springfield. I'd love to see a Springfield in this colour.
I love this bike in this color. I believe I mentioned my first incounterwith Indian was in 1956; don't remember the model; but when I saw the Vintage in 2014 I fell in love all over again. So sad it's being discontinued. By the way , next birthday I will be 76.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well you know, I had thought that maybe in the future someone would need to buy a vintage in order to get that look, but I can actually see instead of going through all that just buy the front fender and calling it a day, that’s also what drew my eyes and made me want to get an Indian. In fact actually I was thinking of putting a skirted fender on my road star years ago but never got to it so, I think that vintage look can be achieved by just swapping out body parts in the future you know!

kendo
Yes. A few years ago Kawasaki had the Drifter which had the fender skirts. Was not fussy about Kawasaki but the Drifter did look cool.

·
340 Posts
Oh man, this thread is still going :-D.

My addition: when it comes to soft saddlebags, the Vintage leather bag looked SOO MUCH better than the Super Chief (Super Chief looks good too, don't get me wrong) :

View attachment 668423
View attachment 668424
I agree, The new Chief Bags are copied Scout Bags.

Killing the Vintage and the Valenced Fenders is IMO like taking away Supermans Cape. When you think of Indian for Motorcycle enthusiasts its the look of the Fenders that sets it apart from the rest. I can only hope being a Indian Dealer and builder of custom Indian bikes that there is always a couple models available with the true Indian Look.

I hear from customers almost daily how they prefer the older style fairing and fenders.
Here at Hollister Indian I am still designing custom Vintage looking bike using the Springfield platform. I use my custom bags (Rocky) and matching seat. Getting the wire wheels is the missing piece to the puzzle. I personally prefer the mags but i understand if someone wants to go with spokes. I will 2 tone custom paint colors of your choice with a beautiful war Bonnet. So as long as I can still get Springfields I will continue to build Vintage looking models with soft bags.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
345 Posts
Many moons ago I had a '84 town car with leather. Loved the soft cushy ride. Also had a '92 Crown Vic with leather a long time ago...nice riding car and dependable as the day is long. "They don't make'm like they used to" LOL
Traded my '02 CV about 3 years ago (getting long in the tooth), with 110K on her clock. It was the PI but with Marauder wheels. Over the years, owned 4 or 5 CV's and/or Marquis. All those cars was like having a 70 MPH sofa, and the best floating suspension I ever had on cars. All my sports car have been Corvettes, but family cars have been mostly Ford.

·
Silver member
5,737 Posts
Traded my '02 CV about 3 years ago (getting long in the tooth), with 110K on her clock. It was the PI but with Marauder wheels. Over the years, owned 4 or 5 CV's and/or Marquis. All those cars was like having a 70 MPH sofa, and the best floating suspension I ever had on cars. All my sports car have been Corvettes, but family cars have been mostly Ford.
Yeah, the Ford & Merc full size were great riding cars. I check Craigs List every now and then just for the heck of it and it's rare to see a decent/nice 20ish year old CV or Marquis. Most all are plain Jane X Cop cars that have been beat up pretty good. On another note, a friend of mine had a 2005 Jaquar XJ8 Vanden Plas. I drove it a couple of times and the ride was beyond impressive. In fact the entire car was impressive, to me anyways. If I ever decide to step out of my PU truck and get another comfy car I'd really like it to be an XJ8, 2004-2009. Ford was heavily involved with Jag I think from around 1999 up to about 2009, and I've read that Ford did a lot to make them more dependable than the earlier pure Britt models.

Reactions: vettejack

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree, The new Chief Bags are copied Scout Bags.

Killing the Vintage and the Valenced Fenders is IMO like taking away Supermans Cape. When you think of Indian for Motorcycle enthusiasts its the look of the Fenders that sets it apart from the rest. I can only hope being a Indian Dealer and builder of custom Indian bikes that there is always a couple models available with the true Indian Look.

I hear from customers almost daily how they prefer the older style fairing and fenders.
Here at Hollister Indian I am still designing custom Vintage looking bike using the Springfield platform. I use my custom bags (Rocky) and matching seat. Getting the wire wheels is the missing piece to the puzzle. I personally prefer the mags but i understand if someone wants to go with spokes. I will 2 tone custom paint colors of your choice with a beautiful war Bonnet. So as long as I can still get Springfields I will continue to build Vintage looking models with soft bags.

View attachment 670096
Love the Vintage. It brought back my love for motorcycles. Still the desire of my heart.

161 - 180 of 195 Posts