Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
141 - 160 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well... I understand they need to sale more bikes, but how about at least keeping the iconic Indian fender. Most people I talk to loves the Indian looks, but will buy harley because of the nation wide coverage for repairs and such..... wonder why Indian couldn't add Polaris dealers into the Indian network and have at least 1 guy that's trained to work on Indians at each locations. Cross country trips would be better on a Indian if there's a network of dealerships either Indian or Polaris that could repair our rides if necessary.

·
Banned
830 Posts
Yeah, that's about it, kind'a. Much of it is Polaris doing what they believe they need to do to compete with Harley. I get a kick out of it when some refer to the newer I/P moto look as "more modern". But many if not most of the Harley baggers have had the same "look", that I/P is pretty much copying, for decades. So modern?... I think not. It's more like cultural appropriation :LOL:. In defense of I/P, they're giving the sheep what they want in order to sell motorcycles, and that's what counts to I/P. Like some others here, initially it was the big skited looking fenders that drew me to the Indian, more specifically my willow green'n cream '15 Vintage.
Chef I've been p issed off ever since Springfield eliminated the camelback fuel tank. :mad: It stood out from the rest of the crowd. Hendee and Hedstrom sure didn't give a rat's ass for those of us who wanted to keep it real. A coupla snowflake sheep was what those two were....:devilish: ya..... thats what they was...

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
869 Posts
Well... I understand they need to sale more bikes, but how about at least keeping the iconic Indian fender. Most people I talk to loves the Indian looks, but will buy harley because of the nation wide coverage for repairs and such..... wonder why Indian couldn't add Polaris dealers into the Indian network and have at least 1 guy that's trained to work on Indians at each locations. Cross country trips would be better on a Indian if there's a network of dealerships either Indian or Polaris that could repair our rides if necessary.
As of now there are just over 200 dealers and that's less than was planned. But because of the shout down and then shortages of materials to build more dealers. I know of a new local dealer that was scheduled to open last April/May, may finely open beginning of February as they finely got the steel to build. So, there has to be many more in the same position.

·
Silver member
5,737 Posts
Chef I've been p issed off ever since Springfield eliminated the camelback fuel tank. :mad: It stood out from the rest of the crowd. Hendee and Hedstrom sure didn't give a rat's ass for those of us who wanted to keep it real. A coupla snowflake sheep was what those two were....:devilish: ya..... thats what they was...
Breathe....just breathe LOL

Reactions: Bird Dog

·
Silver member
5,737 Posts
Lack of dealer network is a big problem. And judging from some posts I read, lack of qualified/pro Indian mechanics is also an issue. It sure as hell is where I live. When/if I decide to buy another bike that will be an influence.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am very happy with mine... but if and when I get back into the market I would buy another Indian.. unless they look like a harley. Then I'll have to buy which ever one has the best dealer net work to service the bike.

·
Silver member
5,737 Posts
I am very happy with mine... but if and when I get back into the market I would buy another Indian.. unless they look like a harley. Then I'll have to buy which ever one has the best dealer net work to service the bike.
One plus for Harley is that there are independent shops that can and will work on them. At least there are around here. However, in 45ish years I never had a serious enough problem with any of my HDs such that any needed to go to a shop for repairs. I took my Vintage to the local dealer (about 50 miles away) for the stage 2 cam install and the shift sensor, it was not a good experience. I know there are good I/P dealers out there, just not in my neck of the woods.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
My tears are shed for the younger generation of riders. We've had our fun. Unlike the generations that came before them, most kids will never know the joy of being able to take their bike completely apart and rebuild it , piece by hand-built piece, in their garage, to make it "cool" and different from everyone else's. They can't get their hands dirty and work on their engines and transmissions without needing to plug in a computer "flash", or figure out how to work around EPA-mandated tunes. They can't modify the frame or build a new seat. They have to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars just to put on a different exhaust system or add a new freakin taillight!

They won't experience the satisfaction that previous generations had of creating innovative design trends, without spending a ton of cash, that actually influenced what came out of the factories. From bobbers to choppers to cafe racers to touring baggers, manufacturers looked at what riders on the street were doing to their bikes, and the new models were born.

For too long now, motorcycle companies could only look at what their competition was doing, and copy that. What is on the showroom floor is what you get! Oh, you can see if the aftermarket is selling a different fender, or seat, or handlebar and try to find someone who is capable of bolting it on.Good luck with that! Most riders can't modify their bike anymore than they can modify their phones. For bikes or phones, just wrap it in a different color, download an app, or trade it in for the latest design dictated by a corporate finance department. Today's bikes are like today's music and movies. Computer generated and bland. I'm sure there are a few owner built exceptions. But I don't see many on the street...cars or bikes.

That's my old man rant for today. I have to go now. There's some kids on my lawn!

·
Silver member
5,737 Posts
My tears are shed for the younger generation of riders. We've had our fun. Unlike the generations that came before them, most kids will never know the joy of being able to take their bike completely apart and rebuild it , piece by hand-built piece, in their garage, to make it "cool" and different from everyone else's. They can't get their hands dirty and work on their engines and transmissions without needing to plug in a computer "flash", or figure out how to work around EPA-mandated tunes. They can't modify the frame or build a new seat. They have to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars just to put on a different exhaust system or add a new freakin taillight!

They won't experience the satisfaction that previous generations had of creating innovative design trends, without spending a ton of cash, that actually influenced what came out of the factories. From bobbers to choppers to cafe racers to touring baggers, manufacturers looked at what riders on the street were doing to their bikes, and the new models were born.

For too long now, motorcycle companies could only look at what their competition was doing, and copy that. What is on the showroom floor is what you get! Oh, you can see if the aftermarket is selling a different fender, or seat, or handlebar and try to find someone who is capable of bolting it on.Good luck with that! Most riders can't modify their bike anymore than they can modify their phones. For bikes or phones, just wrap it in a different color, download an app, or trade it in for the latest design dictated by a corporate finance department. Today's bikes are like today's music and movies. Computer generated and bland. I'm sure there are a few owner built exceptions. But I don't see many on the street...cars or bikes.

That's my old man rant for today. I have to go now. There's some kids on my lawn!
Well said (y) There are or will be some exceptions, but modding a MC to any extent other than a shiny bolt on here and there is and will be about impossible for the vast majority, and that's a shame. Now, go get them damn kids off your lawn...

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
They took off like scared rabbits! Probably thought I had the COVID!

I myself can no longer take my bike apart and put it back together. I take the seat off, and i'm afraid to touch anything under there thinking I might screw up some electronic sensor! I do miss that part of motorcycle ownership. I sold my welder and most of my old tools. (And only old men wanted to buy them!) :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Maybe the new springfield will take the place of the vintage in 2023. The current way of describing model years of bikes leaves a lot to the imagination anyways. When was the 22 chiefs and scouts introduced in early 2021. Its not 22 yet so maybe a surprise is coming for the vintage folks from Polaris!
Add on all the delays in production and this is just the nature of the beast right now. The Indian engineers might not have had time to add the same technology from the chiefs to the vintage model or the springfield? Just a guess!

Thank goodness , Indian gives us an adventure out on the road. Means more than ever now due to current world situations!

·
Registered
1 Posts
A Springfield is Not a vintage, diff wheels, diff wheelbase, diff steering geometry etc ...I put hardbags on my 15 vintage along with an air shock, it will be buried with me, thing is it will probably outlast me 😄

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
A Springfield is Not a vintage, diff wheels, diff wheelbase, diff steering geometry etc ...I put hardbags on my 15 vintage along with an air shock, it will be buried with me, thing is it will probably outlast me 😄
The validity of that statement depends on what year. Your 2015 is different, by 2020, the wheelbase and geometry was the same.

141 - 160 of 195 Posts