Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
* Note from Hink : merged identical threads. By default, oldest becomes the host to later ones.

———————————————————-

Just got the early peek at the 2022 lineup and the Vintage line is no where to be found. I was extremely interested in getting the Vintage DH.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm shocked. The owner of the dealership I dealt with in NJ told me he couldn't keep Vintages on the floor while Springfields were tough to sell yet the Springfield remains.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My dealer said they were going to phase them out, and I was hoping it was just a bad rumor. I too was bummed to check the 2022 lineup and not see the vintage. It was the last bike that truly looked like an Indian. And WTF is up with the orange and black Scout? Yeah, tell me Polaris isn't trying to make them look like boring ass Harleys. I'm so disappointed.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
1,126 Posts
As 2021 Vintage owner I was disappointed to see the Vintage dropped from the lineup. But as far as I know the Springfield and Vintage are essentially the same bike the only difference being hard vs soft saddle bags and some fringe. It would have been easy for Indian to allow owners to choose soft bags as an option when ordering a 2022 Springfield.
Tire Fuel tank Land vehicle Wheel Automotive fuel system
m

·
Bronze member
5,127 Posts
For all of us that are shocked, I think Indian forgot about what started them back up...
Harley still has the Fatboy and Heritage.

They make what sells, the classic bike sales have dropped every year since they have been out, a few liken them, but the modern 21st century bikes are what's making money

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
IM is intent on getting the younger riders, and let's face it, the young folks don't flock to the look of the Vintage. Those of us who own one now have a bike that will be even more rare and unique as time goes on. Yay!

IMHO the Bobber and Dark Horse looks that are so popular right now will be out of style in a few years. Riders will want something different again. Shiny paint and chrome are classic and will always be around.

·
Bronze member
3,328 Posts
They make what sells, the classic bike sales have dropped every year since they have been out, a few liken them, but the modern 21st century bikes are what's making money
I agree. HD quit making Springers and Road King Classics some time ago due to lagging sales. IM did well with the Vintage, but retro bikes seem to have a relatively short shelf life.

·
Silver member
3,723 Posts
I still have a soft spot for the Vintage. It was my first Indian that I purchased and was sad to trade it away but I like the new Challenger.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If Indian was making significant money on the vintage, there's no doubt in my mind they'd have kept it. Some will like it, sure, but there are tons of bikes people like that Indian just doesn't make like crotch rockets, adventure bikes, small displacement, high horsepower, etc. I do expect that they find another way to expand their lineup and keep or gain customers, though.

·
Registered
2018 Indian Motorcycle Scout Bobber Star Silver Smoke
425 Posts
I was disappointed to see it missing, too. My friend bought a '21 Vintage this year, and it is a gorgeous bike. Yes, the Springfield is comparable, but they could have offered the Vintage styling as an option, at least

·
Registered
'19 SF - Metallic Jade & Thunder Black
862 Posts
The willow & green color scheme on the Vintage made me damn near pull the trigger on one when they did that color combo. But seeing the Chieftain, I decided I wanted hard, lockable bags. I've had leather bags before and while they look great, I was ready for something different. But I didn't want the fairing of the Chieftain. Then a year later, the Springfield was introduced.

I was glad it just wasn't a Vintage w/ hard bags, but a different bike (based on the different rake and trail). I was disappointed when they did make the change and made them essentially the same bike.

I get loads of compliments on my Springfield whenever I ride. But those compliments usually come from people in my age band or older (I'm Generation X). I do think the styling lends itself to "an old man's bike" in the minds of younger generations. I say this as someone who used to think of Harley dressers as "old man bikes" when I started riding street legal bikes. I really wanted the new at the time, 883 Sportster...not some big ol' slow-ass bike with luggage on it.

I hope PII keeps a foot in the past (or at least several toes) w/ styling, just as H-D does, but moving forward requires changes. Changes often require businesses to make decisions that sometimes feels like betrayal by those who lined up day 1 for all the new designs just 7 years ago.

As a side note: I've always thought this was a great marketing idea by H-D, even though there were terms & conditions (there always is). Perhaps PII could start a similar program.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

One final note: You can always try to influence the direction Polaris goes by purchasing company stock and becoming an active investor. Granted, your voice and opinion will be diluted based on ownership levels.

·
Silver member
5,737 Posts
As 2021 Vintage owner I was disappointed to see the Vintage dropped from the lineup. But as far as I know the Springfield and Vintage are essentially the same bike the only difference being hard vs soft saddle bags and some fringe. It would have been easy for Indian to allow owners to choose soft bags as an option when ordering a 2022 Springfield. View attachment 656091 m
Offering the soft bags as an option or choice for 2022 must be confusing, too complicated for I/P to figure out LOL.

Yeah, unless I'm missing something I believe now the Vintage & Springfield are essentially the same bike, but I've been wrong before :rolleyes: I expect I/P might offer the "leather" bags & fringe as an option or add on. But if so, the price for the bonded leather will be stupid high.

·
Bronze member
2,428 Posts
Offering the soft bags as an option or choice for 2022 must be confusing, too complicated for I/P to figure out LOL.

Yeah, unless I'm missing something I believe now the Vintage & Springfield are essentially the same bike, but I've been wrong before :rolleyes: I expect I/P might offer the "leather" bags & fringe as an option or add on. But if so, the price for the bonded leather will be stupid high.
I've thought about selling my hard bags and buying some custom Boss Bags. Probably breakeven, but I would have to swap out my Rinehart slip-ons, as well. Too much work.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts