Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being on battery tender since November 2019 when i went to
start no power at all.
Would this be battery or could battery in fob do this? I get a new fob battery every year.
I have 2017 chief

·
Bronze member
2,990 Posts
What is your instrument panel showing you for a battery charge rate.Mine usually shows a reading of 14.4 or better at idle and when goin down the road.If you're not seeing that,then something is wrong,like a poor or dirty connection at the battery terminals,a faulty battery,or a draw on the electrical system when the machine is parked and you don't know about!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
If by "no power at all" you mean, you are not even getting the instrument panel to light up, then battery. If instrument cluster lights up, read the above post. Or change battery in fob or check your tender. Also, you don't mention age of battery, it may be pooched too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is your instrument panel showing you for a battery charge rate.Mine usually shows a reading of 14.4 or better at idle and when goin down the road.If you're not seeing that,then something is wrong,like a poor or dirty connection at the battery terminals,a faulty battery,or a draw on the electrical system when the machine is parked and you don't know about!!
no instrument panel . Nothing lights up completely black

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If by "no power at all" you mean, you are not even getting the instrument panel to light up, then battery. If instrument cluster lights up, read the above post. Or change battery in fob or check your tender. Also, you don't mention age of battery, it may be pooched too.
Battery is age of bike; got it September 2016 but its a 2017 right out of box

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for sharing. Most likely a battery. Thought it may last longer then 3 + years

·
Bronze member
1,930 Posts
thanks for sharing. Most likely a battery. Thought it may last longer then 3 + years
Batteries on bikes take a beating from heat and vibration. Add to that all the stuff they are powering on modern bikes. I replace mine annually as part of routine PM. Put the used ones in the lawnmower. FWIW I’ve had them fail in less than 1 year.

Reactions: Gunner808

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Batteries on bikes take a beating from heat and vibration. Add to that all the stuff they are powering on modern bikes. I replace mine annually as part of routine PM. Put the used ones in the lawnmower. FWIW I’ve had them fail in less than 1 year.
Wow never heard this before. Im used to much longer. But sounds like its the battery.
Thank you

·
Bronze member
2,574 Posts
I’ve got a 16 RM that stays on a tender when not being ridden and I live in a year round riding state. Bike has 33k miles and I’m on my 3rd battery (original and two replacements). These Bikes seem to eat batteries.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Sounds like it. Any suggestion what kind of battery to replace this one.

·
Rider
486 Posts
I'd suggest Renegade batteries. Much higher cold cranking amps.
I'm not sure what their website is. Do a Goggle search

·
Rider
522 Posts
I seem to remember there was a part that needed to be replaced on the pre 2018 bikes for killing batteries prematurely. Don't remember if it was done as a recall or not though. Might want to look it up. I could be thinking of something completely different though :/

It's something I read last year when reading a post about replacement batteries I think. Again, I may be way off about it.

·
Bronze member
5,089 Posts
I seem to remember there was a part that needed to be replaced on the pre 2018 bikes for killing batteries prematurely. Don't remember if it was done as a recall or not though. Might want to look it up. I could be thinking of something completely different though :/

It's something I read last year when reading a post about replacement batteries I think. Again, I may be way off about it.
There was a battery drain issue on some early bikes. It was caused by the dash being powered but no lights showing, a kind of sleep mode. It was caused by shutting down the bike, but then operating the saddlebag locks with the fob. This woke up the internals of the bike but didn't show lights on the dash. Once half awake it wouldn't turn back off. A new flash to the computer fixed it.

However, the OP here is on a Chief, so no locking bags. It sounds like the battery has died over winter.

·
Bronze member
2,990 Posts
A lot of times,the battery will go down from lack of use.If that's the case here,use a battery tender connected to the little pig tail under the side cover to keep it charged when not in use.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The rule on a motorcycle battery is that if you take it out, bring it inside, keep it beside your bed and pet and charge it daily all winter, it will last about two years. If you leave the dern thing outside in the snow and rain and pee on it every day all year long it will last about two years.

Just kidding. I have had several battery tenders show everything is fine and battery won't even turn on a courtesy light. I had the one in my Corvette puke out just last week. I had a Schumaker tender on it and it had the pretty little green light on and everything. I now hold the drop-kick record for a battery tender. I bought four battery tender juniors on ebay and had one of them bad out of the plastic. Luckily, I have a full size charger that will a battery up to snuff pretty quick. The bad thing is once a battery is totally flat, it cuts its life down pretty significantly. Ken

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just checked my records and the battery in my old Harley Shovelhead is going into its' sixth season. I think I bought it at Tractor Supply for about 40 bucks and didn't expect it to last through the ride home. I simply don't think there is any rhyme or reason to this stuff anymore. Ken

·
Rider
1,569 Posts
Watch the wrench swing when taking out that battery to ensure you don’t hit the VCM that you have to move out of the way. Apparently you can fry it if the wrench touches it while removing the bolts to the connections.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just checked my records and the battery in my old Harley Shovelhead is going into its' sixth season. I think I bought it at Tractor Supply for about 40 bucks and didn't expect it to last through the ride home. I simply don't think there is any rhyme or reason to this stuff anymore. Ken
I agree thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The rule on a motorcycle battery is that if you take it out, bring it inside, keep it beside your bed and pet and charge it daily all winter, it will last about two years. If you leave the dern thing outside in the snow and rain and pee on it every day all year long it will last about two years.

Just kidding. I have had several battery tenders show everything is fine and battery won't even turn on a courtesy light. I had the one in my Corvette puke out just last week. I had a Schumaker tender on it and it had the pretty little green light on and everything. I now hold the drop-kick record for a battery tender. I bought four battery tender juniors on ebay and had one of them bad out of the plastic. Luckily, I have a full size charger that will a battery up to snuff pretty quick. The bad thing is once a battery is totally flat, it cuts its life down pretty significantly. Ken
thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A lot of times,the battery will go down from lack of use.If that's the case here,use a battery tender connected to the little pig tail under the side cover to keep it charged when not in use.
I did and still went dead.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts