Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
Joined
·
6,057 Posts
15.6VDC is bad. The battery is designed to provide 12.8VDC. The charging system is designed to provide ~14.3 when running.

I would suspect that there might be an over voltage protection that is kicking in to protect the electrical system but I don't know that for sure. First thing I'd check for is a blown fuse.

You can take the battery to a local auto parts store to have it tested or just replace it. But with that high of a voltage I'd say it's bad.
 

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
Joined
·
6,057 Posts
correction to the original post. the battery reading is 12.67 volts. battery to frame ground 2.2 volts
discovered no fuses blown yet. Thanks elvis /2017 chieftain
Much better. With a 2.2 VDC at the pigtail, I would suspect a high resistance short. Typically these are caused by pinched wires. The insulation / paint keeps a direct short from blowing a fuse.

Have you done any work lately that may have accidently pinched some wires? I'd start there. If not try following the wire bundle from the pigtail to the battery.
 

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
Joined
·
6,057 Posts
Glad it was something simple
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top