Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2017 chieftain (34000 miles) that has no power, nothing powers up. rode bike last weekend with no issues. go to crank it this morning and nada wtf over troubleshot the bike this evening with no solutions. hooked up battery tinder and it goes to abort mode. the battery (renegade) is nearly 2 years old. connections are tight with a reading of 15.6 volts. the pigtail is only reading 2.2 volts (???). this doesn't seem right the last maintenance done was gear switch recall nearly a year ago. any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated elvis /2017 chieftain

·
Registered
2014 Chief Vintage
860 Posts
Nothing powers up. You used a Volt Meter and got 15.6v directly from the battery and 2.2v from the pigtail? I’m guessing a Lithium Renegade battery? Either way (15.6v or 2.2v), I believe your battery is bad.

My almost year old AGM battery has a resting voltage around 12.6v-12.9v before starting. A lithium battery should have a resting voltage of around 13.3v-13.4v. Now it’s possible that you may have a rectifier/regulator issue as well, but you won’t know until you get the bike started and look at the voltage when it running. Should be around 13.7V-14.6v.

·
Rider
2,103 Posts
Agree with the above but: The pigtail is usually connected directly to the terminals of the battery it 'should' read the exact same voltage as the battery terminal voltage. I would start there by checking the voltage at the pigtail inline fuse and work back.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,001 Posts
15.6VDC is bad. The battery is designed to provide 12.8VDC. The charging system is designed to provide ~14.3 when running.

I would suspect that there might be an over voltage protection that is kicking in to protect the electrical system but I don't know that for sure. First thing I'd check for is a blown fuse.

You can take the battery to a local auto parts store to have it tested or just replace it. But with that high of a voltage I'd say it's bad.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
These bikes have two circuit breakers as well, don't they?
I've never needed one, but I remember after reading a similar thread I ordered a spare and have it in my saddlebag...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
6,001 Posts
correction to the original post. the battery reading is 12.67 volts. battery to frame ground 2.2 volts
discovered no fuses blown yet. Thanks elvis /2017 chieftain
Much better. With a 2.2 VDC at the pigtail, I would suspect a high resistance short. Typically these are caused by pinched wires. The insulation / paint keeps a direct short from blowing a fuse.

Have you done any work lately that may have accidently pinched some wires? I'd start there. If not try following the wire bundle from the pigtail to the battery.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Much better. With a 2.2 VDC at the pigtail, I would suspect a high resistance short. Typically these are caused by pinched wires. The insulation / paint keeps a direct short from blowing a fuse.

Have you done any work lately that may have accidently pinched some wires? I'd start there. If not try following the wire bundle from the pigtail to the battery.
I also remember at my last GPS recall, the tech told me part of the latest bulletin was to inspect and clean 3 of the main wire connectors... could be your tech wasn't careful enough? Still - that's a long time for trouble to surface after a service. :unsure:

·
Registered
2014 Chief Vintage
860 Posts
These bikes have two circuit breakers as well, don't they?
I've never needed one, but I remember after reading a similar thread I ordered a spare and have it in my saddlebag...
Yes … they are circuit breaker fuses one 10A, one 20A. The 10A is the VCM and the 20A is the main engine.
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Trunk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts