Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Polaris stop making the Indian Chieftain Classic? I didn't see it in their lineup for 2021.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I hope that you are wrong. I'm thinking that they may keep it going for a while longer. People wanting a Chieftain with the classic look, can still buy the Classic Roadmaster, and strip it down.
I hope so too.

Last year I made a comment about the classic faring and saddlebags going away and someone mentioned back to me that since they still offered it as a choice for the chieftain model that it wasn’t going away. But today the classic chieftain is also gone.

Last week I was visiting an Indian dealer and overheard a customer say that he sure liked the Indians a lot more since they got rid of the classic faring and saddlebags. He currently rode a Harley and was attracted by the new Indian design. So as a marketing standpoint I can understand why they made the change though I personally still prefer the classic faring and saddlebags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To me that's what attracted me to Indian and was something different than everything else out there. I feel Polaris has kinda sold out and are making the bike more Harleyish. The original classic fairing is what set Indian apart from other manufacturers. So glad I've got the "old" style and will probably keep it as long as I can ride. Polaris dropped the ball on this one.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,414 Posts
To me that's what attracted me to Indian and was something different than everything else out there. I feel Polaris has kinda sold out and are making the bike more Harleyish. The original classic fairing is what set Indian apart from other manufacturers. So glad I've got the "old" style and will probably keep it as long as I can ride. Polaris dropped the ball on this one.
I completely agree. I bought the Indian RM because it had that classic "Indian" look. I praised Polaris engineering for taking styling cues from the classic Indian look from long years ago and molded it into a completely new and modern bike. It looked classy and not like any other bikes. Practically every time I stop for fuel people walk up to me to look at the bike and tell me how great it looks. If I wanted to ride a bike that looked like a Harley I would have purchased a Harley. I understand Polaris opening up their market to attract more Harley riders but don't forget your roots! I plan on keeping my 15 RM for quite some time. I just love it and was never a big fan of the Ride Command. Just too big a screen for me. I'm afraid if I ever do go into the market for a new bike it might not be an Indian if they stray too far from looking like an Indian. Long live the curved Indian fender! Dean

·
Bronze member
2,563 Posts
When the new style Chieftain/RM came out, that marked the end of the Classic. You had to know IMs not going to continue to make two versions of two models.

·
Rider
1,568 Posts
I want the company to survive and keep Harley on its toes. If the Classic look doesn’t sell as much as the new design and the company can save money then so be it. I’m not happy about it I love the old style and not to mention you had fog lights for added visibility and turn signals to see and be better seen. Not sure what model I will buy next I have plenty of time to sit back and watch.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I spoken and know many a Harley rider and they don't need a Indian to look more like a Harley to get them to switch.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I really don't see why Indian can't offer both choices. I mean Harley offers plenty of versions of basically the same bike. There's about ten different softails all based on the same frame/engine. Same with the tourers. Choice is good.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts