Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

No more Chief Vintage...BMW R18 is my only option.

12K views 97 replies 41 participants last post by  CarlosR 
#1 ·
Thinking about what to replace my 2015 Vintage with (when the time comes). Seems like all the manufacturers are steering away from the "Vintage Vibe" market. With the exception of BMW's R18... Which is a thing of beauty IMHO. Unless Indian releases an inline 4...What are we all going to do when our Chief Vintage models need to be replaced?

#2 ·
Thinking about what to replace my 2015 Vintage with (when the time comes). Seems like all the manufacturers are steering away from the "Vintage Vibe" market.
coughTriumphcough

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I kind of like the R18, but the proportions are wrong to my eye in some areas, and it's too big overall. But I understand how someone could really like it, absolutely.

#3 ·
Thinking about what to replace my 2015 Vintage with (when the time comes). Seems like all the manufacturers are steering away from the "Vintage Vibe" market. With the exception of BMW's R18... Which is a thing of beauty IMHO. Unless Indian releases an inline 4...What are we all going to do when our Chief Vintage models need to be replaced?
BMW R18 looks sweet....

2014 Indian Chieftain

#6 ·
I second R18, there's nothing quite like it in my mind.. Boxer twin, exposed drive shaft, and it looks like an airplane engine with two wheels. Reverse assist and other "BMW esque" options are nice too
In the end I never got around to a demo because I liked the Chief so much but the R18 is a beauty!

If and when I want a bagger I'd have a hard look at the R18B :)

#7 ·
The only issue with Moto Guzzi and Triumph is they have even less dealers than Indian. As for the R18, only buy it at a deep discount, even better buy a demo at a very deep discount.

If a dealer has more than one listed on their site they are usually more than willing to deal. My local does not expect them to sell for more than five years and some think it could be less. However if you really want one take it out for a good ride as the suspension on the base and classic can be harsh. Still it is stupid gorgeous

#8 ·
The only issue with Moto Guzzi and Triumph is they have even less dealers than Indian.
I bought my 2004 955i Daytona in 2007 with 14,000 miles. It now has over 70,000 miles. I've ridden it in some very, very remote places. If you can find a dealer with the Triumph you want at a price you can live with, then there are enough Triumph dealers. They are reliable as bricks.

#9 ·
I just don’t see the comparison with a Vintage and the R18! No attraction for me.

There are actually quite a few Triumph dealers, but the problem is they are many times also in BMW dealers. BMW offers a lot of buyer programs whereas Triumph does not, so the salesmen push BMW. I had a Triumph Trophy SE and it was a fantastic motorcycle.

Guzzi‘s are great, but dealerships are far and few between! (We have 2 dogs, one named Moto and one named Guzzi)

#10 ·
I just can’t get over the engine on the r18. It looks like a pair of floppy titties. It’s gotta be one of the most god awful things I’ve ever seen on a bike. Get rid of the floppy titties and the r18 is gorgeous.

#14 ·
I was drooling over the R18 just the other day... good thing the folks at my Triumph/BMW shop know me and don't mind mopping the floor when I leave! That baby is bigger than the souped-up VW street bug I built back high school! And it also has reverse! Seriously, I think it is gorgeous. Never ever thought I'd hear myself saying that about a BMW. My impression was always that they were too "modern high-tech rocketship" for my liking. But that R18... oh yeah. Just as soon as I win the lotto...

#19 ·
Personally if I were in the market for a Vintage I would get a Vintage and find the last year available used in great condition when the time comes to need one. If I loved that model enough I’d keep an eye out for a second one after that… that’s what I do with cars. Just updated the wife and my 28-30 year old trucks with two 15 year old models (last year they made my truck). I’m in the market for two more 15 year old models so when this one dies I’ll have backups. If it’s the one it’s the one. If you’d consider something else then it’s not the one anyway :) cheers :)

#20 ·
MilwDave: I love the look of your R18, but where do you put your feet?
It looks like the pegs are straight down from where the tank/seat meet with no way to change riding positions. Although I am only 6’ with a 33” inseam - I would miss the forward controls that I have grown used to on my Vintage, Chief and Scout.

That being said - I would gladly ride naked - sitting backward on a machine that cool!!

#31 · (Edited)
MilwDave: I love the look of your R18, but where do you put your feet?
It looks like the pegs are straight down from where the tank/seat meet with no way to change riding positions. Although I am only 6’ with a 33” inseam - I would miss the forward controls that I have grown used to on my Vintage, Chief and Scout.

That being said - I would gladly ride naked - sitting backward on a machine that cool!!
For reference I am 6’3” and I have a 34” inseam. I read all the reviews and assumed going in that I would just go for a test ride to see what it was all about. I couldn’t believe that I fit on it and the riding position was comfortable. A few months later I was driving to St Louis to pick one up.
I have the pegs and I find them more comfortable than the mini floorboards that BMW put on the B and C models. If you are convinced that the stretched out forward cruiser position is the only style you will be comfortable with this is not the bike for you.
But that being said I have a spinal fusion, a knee replacement and another bad knee. I test road an FTR while my wife’s bike was in for service and surprised myself that I fit and I was comfortable. I bought that bike a few months later as well. That experience opened up my eyes to the possibility that the traditional cruiser forward position wasn’t all I could live with.
The R18 is my stripped down around town bike and for that purpose it will serve me well. I still have the Roadmaster for touring and the FTR for the days I feel a little frisky.
Life is more interesting when you open yourself up to a little variety.

#25 · (Edited)
Before buying my Indian,I too liked that Moto Guzzi ,especially the California Tourer model and was quite prepared to buy one,that is,until I road tested one,then another,then another,and then another,only to be disappointed in every single one I test rode!! Why?? Because every single one of em bucked like hell while trying to maintain speed and or under light throttle.And yes,THEY ALL DID IT!!Christ,if I had a certain part of my anadity in my hand,I would have ripped it off,that's how bad it was.And the standard answer from the dealerships was " THEY ALL DO THAT"!! Well since they all do that,Moto Guzzi can keep em.But the ride was excellent and the power more then adequate.But that bucking under light or steady throttle turned me right off,which is actually a shame cause,other then that bucking,that machine rode very well and had decent power.

#26 ·
That’s just character! You have to understand guzzi to enjoy guzzi. Can’t imagine why they’re the only ones mounting up a transverse V twin! 🤪

#27 ·
I like the looks of the R18 as a cruiser, but not so much as a tourer. I’m not sure why BMW introduced the R18 without an adjustable windshield. Also, for a touring bike, there needs to be some place to move your feet and leg position, IMO. I know BMW makes a leg plate that goes over the cylinder, but it’s not very attractive.

#32 ·
MilwDave: Agreed …Variety is the spice of motorcycles!
Love my FTR, but I would never take it on a trip or ride it in town (too hot). But if you want to take a fast rip on backroads for a couple hours - the FTR is the right tool for the job. My Vintage is my road trip or take the wife for a Sunday ride bike. My Chief and Scout bobbers are my “bar hopper” - “around town” bikes. I’m still playing with the Scout. This winter it will be heavily modified. It will be my - don’t mess with me on your new Sportster S bike! My 1977 XS750 is the first bike I bought new when I was 18. I can’t bring myself to part with it.

#39 · (Edited)
In 1982,my wife bought a brand new Silverwing Interstate,[500CC] but only rode it for a couple years cause it was just too top heavy for her [being as it had the same fairing as the Gold Wings had] which is what made it too top heavy. for her.So we sold it and that was the last time she rode a two wheeler.Then I had to cart her around on the back on my 83 Venture!! DUH!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#36 ·
Having had more Moto Guzzi's than any other bike and an Eldorado recently until I went down on it I can say that the 1400 Guzzi motor is excellent! It has more than enough power and revs higher than the Indian (air cooled motor) and really gets going. I had to tame the throttle jerkiness down by using a Boosterplug which worked quite well on the single throttle body. I went on several long distance trips and did some mods to it but the long cardan shaft bikes and the geometry of the rear shocks puts a real dent in my bad back. It handles very well for a long wheelbase bike and the brakes are excellent (although not linked like previous Guzzi's). I put it into "Turismo" mode as the Veloce mode (sport) mode was just over the top. Because the 1400 motor does not comply with Euro 5 it is no longer in production. You need to be a mechanic and know something about the maintenance of a bike in order to own a Guzzi. Some of the most knowledgeable people I know are Guzzi dudes. And because a lot of the dealers are far and wide you have to do your own servicing. I have two vintage Guzzi's similar to CHP models of the early 70's and here in SoCal we have 2 of the best restoration shops in the country for the early ones that have the V-Twin. But I bought an Indian 2022 Super Chief Ltd. and I really like it. It is relatively simple and no fuss no muss!

Attachments

#42 ·
The first time I saw the 1800 Bimmer,I couldn't believe the size of the jugs.!!!Ya can't miss em,that's for sure!! :eek:And then, BMW is also claiming that their new 1800 motor has more torque then most of the other makes and models and I believe em!!! And maybe one day,I'll even get to road test one.But,whether I do or not,I think I'll just stick with my Indian. (y)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.