Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,257 Posts
In 1982,my wife bought a brand new Silverwing Interstate,[500CC] but only rode it for a couple years cause it was just too top heavy for her [being as it had the same fairing as the Gold Wings had] which is what made it too top heavy. for her.So we sold it and that was the last time she rode a two wheeler.Then I had to cart her around on the back on my 83 Venture!! DUH!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Fuel tank Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

There is always this!

·
Bronze member
3,478 Posts
The first time I saw the 1800 Bimmer,I couldn't believe the size of the jugs.!!!Ya can't miss em,that's for sure!! :eek:And then, BMW is also claiming that their new 1800 motor has more torque then most of the other makes and models and I believe em!!! And maybe one day,I'll even get to road test one.But,whether I do or not,I think I'll just stick with my Indian. (y)

·
Registered
2014 Chief Vintage
164 Posts
IMS SoCal is happening this weekend. Today is the last day. It’s been great. BMW, Triumph, HD, Indian and some others are there with demo rides. I have a ‘14 Vintage. I would not replace it … add other bikes … yes … replace … no … so with that I’m looking for a touring bike …

Of course I rode the RoadMaster … it actually feels, to me, smaller and lighter than my Vintage more agile. It’s more maneuverable at low speed (shorter rake). I love 2 of the 3 riding modes 😁, Tour and Sport. It’s probably what I will buy.

I rode the BMW R18 TransContinental, it’s a 1000 lbs beast… I really liked it overall. It’s just the mini foot boards. There was barely enough room for my size 13 boots. It had a toe/heal shifter. Maybe if it was adjusted better it would be ok … but it was just awkward. The rear brake pedal was in a good position. I think pegs would be the only comfortable option. (Instead of the mini foot boards). Highway pegs would be a necessity (for me). But it’s a long way from Highway peg back to the main foot controls in an emergency. It has a hydraulic clutch. After only one ride I can’t say if I like it or not. Throttle response felt good and there’s torque for days. It has reverse

I rode the HD CVO Limited. Overall very nice. It felt small. Probably very comfortable for a smaller rider (I’m 6’2” and Husky, I think was the polite term back in the day 😂) If I didn’t ride the RoadMaster … I’d buy it.

I rode the Honda Goldwing DCT Tour. Overall very nice. Offset steering. It felt different, but I would get used to it. Automatic transmission (7 Speed) with paddle shifting available (Also has a walk forward and walk back (reverse) mode), made the bike feel like a big scooter. Accelerating shifting was smooth. Slowing down, I felt the need to paddle downshift. I found myself playing “air” clutch when stopping 😂.
Foot position was comfortable on pegs. Again for me Highway pegs would be necessary (gotta stretch). Honda says you won’t miss shifting… I did.

Just for fun I rode the HD Pan America. It was great. The Scout (too small for me), Chief and Challenger. All terrific. The Triumph Rocket was a lot of fun and I would buy one …

And finally, The 2021 Chief Vintage. The handle bars were more like the RoadMaster (mine are wider). Shorter Windsheild (more buffeting)(I look through mine). That combined with the shorter rake made the bike feel more nimble and responsive. 3 ride modes, in this case there didn’t seem to be a difference between standard and Tour. Sport mode rocked. (I wonder if I could change my VCM/ECU for a ‘21 and get the ride modes … 🤔). I really liked the 2021. Just not enough to trade my ‘14. 😁

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,478 Posts
The only issue with Moto Guzzi and Triumph is they have even less dealers than Indian. As for the R18, only buy it at a deep discount, even better buy a demo at a very deep discount.

If a dealer has more than one listed on their site they are usually more than willing to deal. My local does not expect them to sell for more than five years and some think it could be less. However if you really want one take it out for a good ride as the suspension on the base and classic can be harsh. Still it is stupid gorgeous
I got my R18 for around $16,500 in total. It was discounted from it's 'full-boat', retail price of around, what, $2300(?). Mine also had an additional $1000 factory discount because it was a 190 mile demo.

As stated above, the ride of my R18 'First Edition' can be punishing at times, as the rear suspension literally slams you on some road bumps that I barely notice on my little Kaw W800. The short-travel, stiff, rear suspension of my R18 is my only substantial complaint concerning this bike, though the hard stock seat is also a limiting factor, and I seldom ride it farther than perhaps 75 miles at a sitting before giving my butt a bit of a rest.

Other than those two things, the bike is absolutely superb, classy, pulls like a locomotive, and is put together every bit as well as you'd expect from this maker. I don't tour on it, so to speak, but last September, I did jump on it and rode it to St. Paul from Rapid City over three days, that's 600 miles each way. Stiff ride and questionable seat aside, I had a great time running down the road on that trip. About all I took with me was a couple shirts, a spare pair of 'BVD's", and a spare pair of goggles in a backpack. It only holds 4.2 gallons, but my fuel mileage consistently ranges between 48-52 mpg, so it can go a reasonably decent distance, but it's definitely not configured as a 'serious' touring bike anyway, and my use for it is 98% as a fun bike to romp around the Black Hills on, and I couldn't be happier with it for that......ok, it could ride better, couldn't it.

Where I live, I never get it stuck in slow traffic traffic or any of that big city stuff a lot of you guys deal with, so I never notice any excessive heat from those big cylinders jutting out by your boots, nor do I feel like anything is going to scrape in my turns, though some riders have no problems doing so. I thought that perhaps the seat/peg relationship could be a problem, but at least for me, it's been non-issue, but I'm not a fan of forwards anyway, so I like the pegs where they are.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

It'll also soon be getting a license plate that reads: '2BIGNZ'.

Wheel Tire Helmet Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just demo'ed the R18 last Saturday and was NOT impressed. Very rough idle, slow acceleration, only one position for feet, hard to locate heel,toe shifter and rear brake pedal. Did I mention slow acceleration. Gorgeous motorcycle with no brains

·
Registered
2022 Chief Dark Horse
38 Posts
I just demo'ed the R18 last Saturday and was NOT impressed. Very rough idle, slow acceleration, only one position for feet, hard to locate heel,toe shifter and rear brake pedal. Did I mention slow acceleration. Gorgeous motorcycle with no brains
I'm surprised you think it's slow, maybe you weren't rockin and rollin?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
There will be a decent supply of "gently used" very low mile '14-'19 Vintages and Classics trickling onto the market for reasonable prices for a very long time to come. I love H-D Shovelheads, and they are still showing up on a regular basis with practically no miles on them even today, and the last one was made in 1984. As long as you're not a new bike snob and can live with a bike someone else has ridden it really shouldn't be an issue. Cheaper as well.

·
Bronze member
2,257 Posts
coughTriumphcough

View attachment 658431

View attachment 658432

I kind of like the R18, but the proportions are wrong to my eye in some areas, and it's too big overall. But I understand how someone could really like it, absolutely.
I looked at the Triumph Bobber TCL but that was a bike that I could not fit comfortably on. I decided to forgo the test ride after just sitting on it.

·
5,478 Posts
I assume that you're referring to the touring version of the R18 because of your mentioning a heel/toe shift lever, and I've never ridden one of those...and probably never will because I have zero interest in the R18 in that relatively bloated configuration. I own the more basic R18 First Edition.

As for that model, my R18 is no slower than either of my Indian 111's were, so I guess I don't agree with you on that point. At 91 hp and 116 pounds of torque, It's definitely on a par with the 111.

I've never felt it produced a rough idle either. It's idle could be better described as 'softly lumpy', similar to many modern large twins. It has loads of character and is always a fun ride.

My type of R18 model doesn't have a heel/toe shift lever, so I can't comment on that, other to say that if it did have one, I would have immediately amputated the 'heel' portion of it straight away.

The footpeg position suits me just fine, though I will admit to not being a fan of forwards foot controls in any case. Floorboards are fine though, but simply won't work with the BMW boxer engine.

My only real complaint concerning my R18 is what I feel (literally), is it's unnecessarily harsh ride. It pounds your spine on bumps and road 'irregularities' that my other bikes almost float over.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
653 Posts
J Backlund: Interesting review.
As far as I can tell the 2022 R18 Classic is the model we should be comparing to the 2021 Vintage.
The Classic with two tone paint comes in at $22,040.00. (Reverse Assist is a $950.00 option) plus dealer prep/destination etc.
The 2021 Vintage with two tone paint was $21,499.00 plus dealer prep/ destination etc.

Both have soft bags, standard ABS, ride modes, clear wind screen, laced wheels and twin discs front. Both are over 800lbs wet although the Vintage is closer to 850lbs.

I can’t speak to how the R18 Classic feels (I never rode one) compared to the Vintage but J Backlund described it having a “harsh” ride. I would describe the ride of my 2021 Vintage as “silky smooth”. With the rear air shock set properly it almost floats over everything but the biggest bumps.

The 2022 R18 Base model should be compared to the 2022 Chief not the Vintage. That is a completely new discussion, one that I would love to have as I own both a Vintage and Chief Bobber.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
5,478 Posts
I'm not certain, but I think that the more touring-oriented R18 models have more suspension travel than my First Edition version does, which would be a good thing because it would otherwise be intolerable on anything other than glass smooth roads.

I had no complaints concerning the ride on either my 2015 Classic or 2016 Vintage Indians.

I assume that the low seat height of my R18 dictates a very short rear suspension travel and relatively stiff spring rate to keep it from bottoming out if it runs over a peanut.

·
Bronze member
2,257 Posts
I'm not certain, but I think that the more touring-oriented R18 models have more suspension travel than my First Edition version does, which would be a good thing because it would otherwise be intolerable on anything other than glass smooth roads.

I had no complaints concerning the ride on either my 2015 Classic or 2016 Vintage Indians.

I assume that the low seat height of my R18 dictates a very short rear suspension travel and relatively stiff spring rate to keep it from bottoming out if it runs over a peanut.
You are correct, the R18B and C models have a more compliant rear suspension.
I’ll never confuse the ride of my R18 to that of my Roadmaster. But they are two different machines designed to do two different tasks. While the R18 ride more closely compares to that of our FTR it is a damn sexy bike that I enjoy immensely.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts