Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bottom Line: VCM-1 Pin 1 burnt. See photo attached below.

Basic Problem & Initial Troubleshooting: The bike is a 2016 Indian Springfield [20K-25K miles]. Between two rides which were a week apart, the bike's high and low beam headlights and driving lights completely stopped working. The blue high beam indicator light flashed on and off. The dash LCD displayed a "Chk Engine" notice but no error code. All OEM bulbs were functional but not receiving electricity. The main battery ground was clean and secure, and all other electrical components functioned as intended.

Previous Recall: Polaris issued a recall for this exact problem on 2014 TS-111 bikes. Polaris allegedly corrected the problem's root cause for 2015 and later TS-111 bikes. However, on this forum and others, I've read posts by a few riders who own 2015 bikes and newer TS-111s and are still having experiencing this problem.

Alibi [I swear it wasn't me!]: The bike is garage kept and NEVER washed with a water hose. We did NOT encounter any rain before parking the bike after the first of the two rides. The damage obviously occurred as a result of a voltage/current spike in the headlight & driving light circuit either on shutting off or starting up the bike. It did not occur while riding. I am surprised that the headlights and driving lights are not fused. Or at least I could not find such a fuse on the bike or by referencing the service and owner manuals. Maybe I missed that somehow?

Probably NOT a Factor: The bike recently had the gear position sensor recall successfully performed, but I seriously doubt that recall fix caused this problem.

$700!!! The cost for the replacement harness is $700 which Polaris has elected NOT to pay. Typical of Polaris whose bikes I've been riding for 20 years.

Undetermined Root Cause: The dealer service department cannot determine the root cause of the voltage/current spike that burned the pin. Therefore, this fault could possibly recur after harness replacement. Frankly, motorcycles break; sometimes things go wrong. However, I'd like to avoid a second case of this failure.

Help: Do any of you have any ideas regarding what might have caused this?

2016 Ind Spr VCM 1.jpeg

·
Vendor / bronze
2,935 Posts
For less than $700 yo might replace the connectors. If you can't fine that one use a different connector or even two different ones. The point it to make sure each wire is connected to the proper wire. Don't use two of the same or it might get cross connected.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
That is the one problem with our bikes today. They are great machines but man when they break it cost $$$$ through the nose to fix them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My experience, 27 years as auto tech, burnt connections are poor connections to start with or becomes a poor connection due to its inability to handle the normal current it carries. The extra resistance of a poor connection creates the heat that starts to melt things and make the poor connection worse.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it was mine I would look for a salvage bike and try and buy the pigtail and splice it in with submersible splice connections(soldered). If the pin in the VCM is in useable shape, clean it well and use dielectric grease on connection. Maybe spend the savings on some LED lights that draw less current . Good luck with it.

·
Silver member
5,028 Posts
Try and PM DieselmanG. He buys wrecked bikes and parts them out for builds he does and as a side gig to make some extra cash...

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
There is a post on here from a year or so ago where the owner opened the box and fitted a new connector. It was straightforward and successful and good pics. A bit of a search might find it.

@pablo94 referred to @dieselgman but got a typo in there. :unsure: 2nd time today so I'm buying him a beer. 🍺 :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same happend to me. It is a software problem. Once the engine is running and the VCM "turns" the lights on, there is to much current to fast. The software update solves this by turning the lights on "slower".
My bike was not on the list for this update but it still happend. So Polaris paid for the new VCM (thats the expensive part because it got shot while they were trying to fix it) and I had to pay for the labour because my bike was over the warranty.

The shop mechanic recommended to me to only run the the headlight, not all lights while riding for having less current going through that little pin. I told him to **** off because its my interest to be seen and my safety .......

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I am surprised that the headlights and driving lights are not fused. Or at least I could not find such a fuse on the bike or by referencing the service and owner manuals. Maybe I missed that somehow?

Undetermined Root Cause: The dealer service department cannot determine the root cause of the voltage/current spike that burned the pin. Therefore, this fault could possibly recur after harness replacement.

It's a feature of Canbus electrics that not every component is separately fused. The VCM is fused and everything it controls runs off that. Canbus is monitoring everything in there somehow, which we can see in some of the error codes that say 'voltage too high' or 'voltage too low' for some faults.

i posted above about somebody who repaired his own. His take on what caused it was that the connector pin coming off the printed ciruit board in the VCM was not far enough out to make sufficient contact for the current load. The connector pin had been pushed into the VCM when the plug was inserted and was only just touching. Consequently the area heated up and melted. @Kstone has mentioned this above as a generic problem. The guy who fixed his own made especially sure that the repair was strong enough to withstand the push as the plug went home.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Add a ground strap to the vcm as the new bikes have these to help with the grounding circuits of the vcm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bottom Line: VCM-1 Pin 1 burnt. See photo attached below.

Basic Problem & Initial Troubleshooting: The bike is a 2016 Indian Springfield [20K-25K miles]. Between two rides which were a week apart, the bike's high and low beam headlights and driving lights completely stopped working. The blue high beam indicator light flashed on and off. The dash LCD displayed a "Chk Engine" notice but no error code. All OEM bulbs were functional but not receiving electricity. The main battery ground was clean and secure, and all other electrical components functioned as intended.

Previous Recall: Polaris issued a recall for this exact problem on 2014 TS-111 bikes. Polaris allegedly corrected the problem's root cause for 2015 and later TS-111 bikes. However, on this forum and others, I've read posts by a few riders who own 2015 bikes and newer TS-111s and are still having experiencing this problem.

Alibi [I swear it wasn't me!]: The bike is garage kept and NEVER washed with a water hose. We did NOT encounter any rain before parking the bike after the first of the two rides. The damage obviously occurred as a result of a voltage/current spike in the headlight & driving light circuit either on shutting off or starting up the bike. It did not occur while riding. I am surprised that the headlights and driving lights are not fused. Or at least I could not find such a fuse on the bike or by referencing the service and owner manuals. Maybe I missed that somehow?

Probably NOT a Factor: The bike recently had the gear position sensor recall successfully performed, but I seriously doubt that recall fix caused this problem.

$700!!! The cost for the replacement harness is $700 which Polaris has elected NOT to pay. Typical of Polaris whose bikes I've been riding for 20 years.

Undetermined Root Cause: The dealer service department cannot determine the root cause of the voltage/current spike that burned the pin. Therefore, this fault could possibly recur after harness replacement. Frankly, motorcycles break; sometimes things go wrong. However, I'd like to avoid a second case of this failure.

View attachment 597890
Just had this Problem on my 2018 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse. Front Lights were not working. Getting a Key Fob Error at times and Info System would Stop and Start Working. This all started occurred after Dealership repaired the Gear Selector Sensor Recall. Dealership found the same source of Problem. Burnt Tab and Connector on VCU. Went Round and Round with Polaris to Fix Problem. They were saying that VCU had come into contact with the Battery and were accusing me of Problem. I noted that the Dealer is the only one that had been under the Seat and in contact with the VCU and Battery. It was the same Tab and Connector as your Picture. Wish I had seen this before speaking with Polaris.. This seems to be a BIG Problem and one that Polaris needs to address. Told them that I found it very offensive that they blamed me!! Additionally, they have replaced the VCM and Connector, but the Dealership states that they are not Set Up properly to reprogram my VCU for the Upgraded Air Intake, Upgraded Headers, and Exhaust. I even gave them my PV3 to reprogram & the authorized Indian Tuner close to me is Out of Business. Thus, the Bike will operate like shit when I pick it up!!! This is a Dealership that sells several Upgraded Indians and Sells & Installs Cam Kits.
Thus, Good Luck with your dealings with Polaris.. They talk about Valued Customers, but unfortunately, they are about the Money and not Customer Care!!! Doesn't matter that I own a 2013 Victory Cross Country too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts