Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
@PearlGirl16
I never understood the caption, "never ridden in the rain" when someone is selling a scooter. Now, I don't like riding in the rain but I have been caught in it for sure! I keep my Chief Classic showroom ready at all times but sometimes I gotta get my hands dirty. Does not ridding it in the rain increase the resale value? I wanna know I can depend on Da Chief in either rain, snow, sleet, or shine. I know the paint is soft but not that soft! I live to RIDE and RIDE to live!

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
People like to hear 'never ridden in the rain' come resale time. Just like 'woman owned' ..........but after being a HD service manager for many years, woman owned meant never wheelied and never an oil change. I suppose I have the ultimate puss 2014 Classic............just 1700 miles and never rain or been outside ever for a night. I have a rat bike for errands and the old vintage bikes keep me occupied.

Best bets to use come resale time? Never dropped. Thats easy to tell. And plenty of oil changes. If you are a hell raiser and a bar hound, buy a used Sportster or some Jap bike to go drinking on and leave the nice stuff at home. People DO fall on motorcycles. People DO accidentally back into bikes. I guess just enjoy your bike and keep it protected. Act like if you had to go cross country on it.................it would do it without a second thought.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Back in the early 90s bikes in my area that were HD on the tank were being stolen including two buds bikes. I had a Springer and was nervous as a wet hen. It got to the point where I obsessed every time it was out of sight. I eventually sold it and rode euro trash for 15 years. I bought a Road Glide in 2010 and it was different, I purchased premium insurance and took the attitude anything can be replaced. This has carried over to the Indian. I park it wherever and never lock the fork. It's always there when I get back, knock on wood. If someone really wants something they will get it. As far as resale I do take care of my bikes and the only thing they may need when I sell or trade is a set of tires. Otherwise it's hard to tell them from almost new. I've got bikes with over 60 thousand on them that look like there is no more than 5 thousand on them.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,094 Posts
I ride my bike in all kinds of weather and if I have to leave it out over night I use the cover that I had that has a GW emblem on it so I don't worry about it being stolen, because everybody knows no one wants to steal a Gold Wing. :D:D

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,911 Posts
I don't set out to ride in the rain, but stuff happens. Thankfully, when the Florida afternoon thunderstorms hit, you dry out almost as fast as you get wet.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My old 1986 GW goes out in all kinds of weather and commutes to work. The Indian lives a pampered life ("never ridden in the rain" - yet), but now goes more miles than the GW and usually with my wife on the back. That rarely happened on the old GW.

Reactions: chefn24

·
Founding member
1,110 Posts
Before health issues my wife and I rode long distances in all but icy conditions. Twice Indiana to west coast. Florida for Christmas , Bike Week,etc.

I was riding a Harley Ultra part of this time. I remember taking it to a dealer for routine service. The service writer called his buds over and told em "you gotta see this" My current year Harley had over 15K on it.Not the milage they usually saw.

I bought it. I ride it!

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,906 Posts
I don't plan to ride in weather that is otherwise bad but prepared for it. Rain gear for wet and electric for cold. But I'll admit, the older I get the more I stay home too. Just isn't worth being uncomfortable but I will if I need to.

Reactions: Ken1.a

·
Registered
845 Posts
Living in So. Cal. I'm a self confessed fair weather rider. But my last two trips I got rained on hard. First was Sequoia National Park. Made it to the Centennial. Next and largest General Sherman and there was a bucket full of water over my head. Drove me down
the mountain. Got down the bottom so hot at the bottom I dried out in 20 minutes.
Next trip was up to Utah Zion, Bryce, Vegas And home. Zion and Bryce Wow highly recommend it. Perfect weather up to my last night in Bryce. That night steady rain all night. I watched my baby get rained on all night with no protection. That morning woke up to more rain and around 10 it let up a enough to get up and go. Being the fair weather rider that I am I had no rain gear. Bought a poncho in Bryce when I gassed up. I ripped right off once I hit 60. That part was funny. Made it thru the pass without incident. Thought it was clearing a bit and then I hit the 15 fwy. It was a
black cloud so thick I couldn't see the land mass. I hit it like a wall went from 80 to 50 In 2 seconds. For over an hour I was in torrential rain and wind until finally daylight. The Indian was solid as a rock. Made it to Mesquite and by the time I got there I was close to dry. Looks good an hour left and I'm in Vegas baby!
Well not so fast, as I approached Vegas I looked to the left and could barely make out the high rise buildings. It's like it created its own weather system. On top of that a Semi jackknifed on the 15 and I took surface streets from north to south. Then it started flooding the streets in stop and go traffic. I was soaked to to the bone. For 45 minutes and I'm watching the water rise on the street and can't move. Finally made it to that pyramid thingy and dried off. Rain and thunder lighting all night next day partly cloudy and a beautiful ride home. First thing I did when I got home is buy rain gear. Seems the rain likes me.

·
Speak softly and carry a big stick. Teddy R
1,529 Posts
When I lived in Texas a few years ago I never went out in bad weather, but would sometimes come home in it. Now that I live in Iowa, home of foul weather, I ride anytime its above 40 coming home at night. Today for example, I rode into work. Tonight its suppose to be 50 and storming, don't care. I've been trapped in the house all winter. Any chance to ride I take it. If that Indian Vintage wasn't meant to get wet, they forgot to mention it to me when I bought it.
When I bought my last bike in 2010 it was 3 years old and had lessthan 7000 miles on it (in Texas), thats crazy. My first year it had 17000 on the odometer. Every year in Texas I put 10000 on it, Iowa lucky to put 4 or 5000.
So I ride every chance I get.

Reactions: Battalion Chieftian

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
My bike is my transport. Rain hail or shine, if I need to be somewhere I get there on two wheels. Suited up with the right gear sure as hell helps.
Alpal

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
4,009 Posts
Keeping 'em low miles and clean ... .. is like ...... not having sex with your girlfriend so the next guy benefits?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Run for the wall 2015...all it did was rain. My Chieftain ran well and continues to run well. I must admit to parking early on the way home due to 60 MPH winds and sheet rains. Almost got hit twice on the freeway due to crazed cagers.

A bike is designed to be ridden and mine is.
Semper Fi,
Z

·
Registered
244 Posts
Guilty, but OK with it... I like to ride when the weather is nice, and when it's too cold or wet, she is safe in the garage, unless we are on a long road trip, then we take whatever is dished out... works for us.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Guilty, but OK with it... I like to ride when the weather is nice, and when it's too cold or wet, she is safe in the garage, unless we are on a long road trip, then we take whatever is dished out... works for us.
When I first moved to the bay area all I had was my bike (a vulcan) and if I went somewhere, it was on the bike. Rain, shine, didn't matter. Winter around here is rainy season and it rained a lot that first year. Didn't bother me a bit. Was kind of humorous going to work (I work in an office) after riding the bike there in the rain and having everyone look at me like I was a mildly retarded alien. Just made me smile though.

Riding in the rain can be fun as hell, as long as it's not a real toad strangler coming down.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I keep mine clean. Because that's how I show my pride in my bike and in the brand. Some people show their pride by their "DGAF" attitude towards cleanliness. To each their own.

Photo taken in Custer State Park, SD
View attachment 41426
You can ride it everywhere all the time and still keep it clean. Not mutually exclusive at all. I kept good care of my vulcan and treated her right. I personally don't understand it when people don't take pride in their ride and just trash them.

·
Bronze member
2,176 Posts
My 06 Kawasaki has 31k miles. The more motorcycle people I meet, the more bikes with less than 5k on them show up.

Don't get it. I ride every day to work, the beach, dinner, etc. I have zero desire to drive my truck

1 - 20 of 45 Posts