Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride every weekend. Had to skip last weekend. Worked perfectly when I parked bike two weeks ago. Came out today and there is no power. Turning the key to IGN or ACC results in nothing. I mean dark... no headlight, no lights in the speedo module, no fuel pump sound... nothing.

All the fuses in the fuse box are good. The main fuse on the side of the battery box is also good.

The battery is a LIPO battery that is around one year old. I've had it on a proper tender for hours, and the charging/maintenece light is still blinking. When I rode it two weeks ago it fired instantly... there's been no indication of a battery problem.

It's a 2016 Scout Sixty. Parked in the garage in Arizona. If anyone has any thoughts, I'm open.

·
Silver member
4,835 Posts
I'd check battery connections plus the main ground at the frame. If all is good, or you've tightened loose/bad connections and still no start, my guess is battery took a dump. Should that be the case, it's likely new battery time. AGM batteries have always given me good service... jus' say'n ;)

Others smarter than me will likely chime in, and hopefully come up with more productive thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd check battery connections plus the main ground at the frame. If all is good, or you've tightened loose/bad connections and still no start, my guess is battery took a dump. Should that be the case, it's likely new battery time. AGM batteries have always given me good service... jus' say'n ;)

Others smarter than me will likely chime in, and hopefully come up with more productive thoughts.
Believe me, I wished I just would have bought the original OEM battery...

·
Silver member
4,835 Posts
I hear you loud and clear. Friend of mine had a bad time with litium, he went back to the old stand by AGM. Battery terminals and main grounds seem to be a pretty common problem with Indians. Maybe/hope that's all it is.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you loud and clear. Friend of mine had a bad time with litium, he went back to the old stand by AGM. Battery terminals and main grounds seem to be a pretty common problem with Indians. Maybe/hope that's all it is.
Pulled the battery. put it on a tender to no avail. It is under warranty, so it was replaced. I'll probably sell it to someone that can ride more often than I can these days. I'm going back to the OEM kind... always worked for me...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your problem is probably the tender. Lithium batteries don't like tenders. Better to let them sit a long time and periodically top them up (70% to 95%). Keeping a li-ion battery topped up constantly is really bad for them. Even li-ion specific tenders, if that's one you used, are bad - my buddy find that out on his track miata. But people buy them so they make them.

FWIW, phones don't top up li-ion batteries either. They say 100%, but they're on a sliding scale that depends on batter health. Keep you phone plugged in constantly? It's not sitting at 100% of actual capacity.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your problem is probably the tender. Lithium batteries don't like tenders. Better to let them sit a long time and periodically top them up (70% to 95%). Keeping a li-ion battery topped up constantly is really bad for them. Even li-ion specific tenders, if that's one you used, are bad - my buddy find that out on his track miata. But people buy them so they make them.

FWIW, phones don't top up li-ion batteries either. They say 100%, but they're on a sliding scale that depends on batter health. Keep you phone plugged in constantly? It's not sitting at 100% of actual capacity.
Yes, I don't normally use a tender unless the bike sits for awhile. In this case, I put it on the tender to see if it would come back. It didn't. Only put out between 2 and 3 volts. Basically it just died. Worked perfectly for a year, right up until this weekend.

My issue with Lithium batteries is your don't get much notice when they drop to zero. I've had batteries on their death bed, but you at least get something out of them, just enough to know they are the problem. This Lithium was so damn dead, it gave nothing. I honestly wondered if the ignition switch was bad.

I like a little warning before a battery dies... since a bike that won't start is a real inconvenience...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts