Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Settle down now Meggie. Nick is the"adminstrator ". He's not peddling just telling what happened and giving credit to the merits of wearing the right gear. I guess his listing of brands names maybe a way of saying thanks for saving my ass. Let's give him some slack while he recovers.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Settle down now Meggie. Nick is the"adminstrator ". He's not peddling just telling what happened and giving credit to the merits of wearing the right gear. I guess his listing of brands names maybe a way of saying thanks for saving my ass. Let's give him some slack while he recovers.
Tab, I am of course kiddin and I am grateful he's okay. Just wanted to give this forum a lighthearted notice.

This jeans are pretty cool...

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Gotcha, I wear "Dragging Jeans " They are heavy as hell and aren't cool but I feel good wearing them. I use gloves and boots all the time regardless of weather. It's a sport, wear the gear that's available to protect yourself.

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha, I wear "Dragging Jeans " They are heavy as hell and aren't cool but I feel good wearing them. I use gloves and boots all the time regardless of weather. It's a sport, wear the gear that's available to protect yourself.
Agree. Dress to crash, not to ride.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Not counting my racing accidents in the glory days of motocross and enduros I have two head on's with a car and a truck. A traffic wreck usually happens so fast that there isn't much you can do about it. You never know when the next one is coming so be alert and wear the protective gear anytime you go out for a ride. Be prepared!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Y'all are crazy! I wear the following saftey items, and they've served me well my entire life:

Barely-Legal Matte Black Helmet (Covered in scratches from being dropped at gas stations)
Ray Bans
Thin Cotton Bandana (With a hole for cigarettes)
Flannel shirts of various colours, with the collars buttoned down (so I don't get slapped)
Fingerless gloves with brass plates over the knuckles
Loose jeans with threads hanging off the bottom
Leather belt with Giant Montana Silversmith buckle (to cut off circulation to my nethers)
Old, leaky Cowboy boots with the heels worn down to stumps (and no socks, so they fit better)

Thanks to my fine saftey gear, I've never once had a lick of trouble! I find that essentially being completely unprotected, and limiting my ability to put any limbs on the road makes me a much better and more agressive rider, and thus cars don't mess with me.

;)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I hate to say it after all this discussion on safety gear but I like to ride with a tee shirt, jeans or shorts and sometimes boots....I have a lot of years and miles with no helmet and wear gloves if it is cold....I think it is probably not the best habit but I decided a long time ago that motorcycles are my pleasure and you have to decide where you want to take your chances. Maybe Vietnam and the marines didn't help but I am pretty cautious and don't ride at dark that often.....the day may come when some idiot pulls in front of me but such is life....I don't think I could ride dressing like I was going to have an accident......

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I hate to say it after all this discussion on safety gear but I like to ride with a tee shirt, jeans or shorts and sometimes boots....I have a lot of years and miles with no helmet and wear gloves if it is cold....I think it is probably not the best habit but I decided a long time ago that motorcycles are my pleasure and you have to decide where you want to take your chances. Maybe Vietnam and the marines didn't help but I am pretty cautious and don't ride at dark that often.....the day may come when some idiot pulls in front of me but such is life....I don't think I could ride dressing like I was going to have an accident......
Avanti.
I have to agree that is it probably a combination of the Marines and Vietnam. I do the same thing. I guess it is because I never expected to come home back then and everything since is gravy. Now when I do Run for the Wall...which is a AMA sponsored event, I have to wear all the safety gear but other wise....I let the weather determine how much I put on. I have never been one for wearing shorts while riding because I don't like the motor heat cooking my leg.

Semper Fi my brother...
Z

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
OzarkRide.jpg

Been Known to Ride Not Dressed so ATGATT sometimes .. But this was in the Ozarks in the Boonies and Pretty Much had the road all to myself ..

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dress to ride. Don't crash.
I tried, I really tried. But coming over from dirt, where if you don't dismount you're doing it wrong, it's hard to break the habit of (1) pushing yourself and the bike close to the limit and (2) protecting your sweet ass because falling hurts.

Don't get me wrong - I am 200% against helmet laws and I will defend anyone who rides without gear. I wish I were more care-free to enjoy the wind and smells and sights of the countryside sans helmet and goggles. But since I've been brought up wearing them, I simply cannot get on a bike without gear.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I've had three wrecks that were pretty much like Nick's. One was a stiff wrestler who backed his hearse out of the mortuary drive where his view was blocked by parked cars. I was too busy ogling a blonde to see him soon enough, so I T-boned the sumbidge. One was a gal in a white station wagon lurching out of a strip mall drive. One was a dog came running from between two cars. The dog gave me road rash, the stiff wrassler I spun the bike sideways, lifted my leg outta the way, dented his door real good with my hip and shoulder, and landed standing. Even had time to catch the bike before it fell. The station wagon gal I don't remember much of cause I was pretty stoned. I did manage to go over her hood. Drum brakes all three bikes. Long time ago. Shorts and T-shirts all three times. Nothing broken.

Here's my point: It would be sheer idiocy of me to say these accidents prove that you should always ride in shorts and T-shirts, or that I would be dead if it weren't for drum brakes.

And yet, this is exactly the logic used by our ATGATT brethren every time they tell about their latest wreck. "If I hadn't been sweltering myassoff in $1,500 worth of exhorbitant space age race gear I'd be driving a wheelchair through a blowtube today." No. That doesn't follow. At all. That's dumb.

Chances are just as good if you'd been riding with your Harley buds in do rags, chained wallets, fingerless gloves, the whole Halloween pirate deal, on bikes that get the wobbles at high speed, with joke brakes, you'd been doing 55 in the right lane cause you're scared of that awesome flesh rasp called asphalt; whereas once you wear armored jackets, and all that space age schidt you get to believing you are invincible so you do eighty-five just three feet from the bumper in front of you. Chances are, it's not what you wore when you wrecked, but how intent you were not to wreck. I know I ride different in the heat of summer bareheaded than I do in Fall when my Vanson and helmet and gloves go on. That's human nature. Don't try and tell me you're not human. I love my old Vanson. Twenty five years, she's broken in just right. Love when it gets cool enough to wear her, and gloves, and helmet. Definitely ride more aggressive than when it's 95 degrees with 95 %, which time of year I ride nekkid as the proprieties allow.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not about to back a law prohibiting helmets. The other side of this argument specializes in coercion; not my side. Wear what you want. I'm only saying the logic used to deduce ATGATT from a wreck story is bullroar. I say AGAAT -- Appropriate Gear At Appropriate Times.

Hey, how come ALL the gear doesn't include a Durango? Not much chance of road rash in that chair. But I digress...

Only time in my life I went to the hospital for a motorcycle wreck, if you wanna call it that, were were puttin down the Blue Ridge Parkway with our new beemer bagger we'd named Annie cause we bought her for our anniversary. Came to a dip in the road named Sweet Annie's Gulch. Pulled over to take a pic of Annie in front of her sign. Slippery grass. Dead stop. Pillion dismounting. Started sliding sideways. Dug my boot in to stop her slide, caught a rock, floorboard came and broke my ankle, down we went. Tipped her up, got the old lady back on pillion, and rode to the nearest hospital, bout an hour and a half away. Does this mean never stop for a picture? Shall we make a rule: No Stopping For Pictures? Shall we enshrine it in an acronym: NSFP?

The other silliest logic often employed by bike wreckers is "... so I had to lay her down..." Latest wreck (if you want to call it that) we hit a bear. That's right. Same bike, sweltering hot day, riding thru Pennsyltucky woods to keep cool, bear comes high-tailing out of a hedgerow and BOOM. Shorts, T, and sandals. Literally could not even think about going down, cause we would have landed in a busy puppy pile with a scared bull bear beneath and a hot bike on top. Not an option. Had to wrassle Annie like mad, but kept her upright. This is the adventure when Bearswatter earned her nickname, BTW. But that's the long version of the story -- the punch line of which is, quarter mile down the road, Bearswatter remarks over my shoulder: "Well. I guess we can scratch that off our bucket list." Point is, tell me of any wreck at all you've ever had where you wouldn't be better if you did NOT lay her down. Boys, girls, rubber side down. Jeez.

Anyways, my point is, what can you prove by anecdote? Not a goddammit.

Nick, don't take nothing personal. Love you, hope your lady takes good care of you while you're laid up (just to ease the pain, you know), hope to see you at the first Scout Jamboree (which I will work on scheduling soon as Sopowa ever comes), me and the guys we'll all buy you a beer and listen to your tale of woe and inspect your repainted tank. Glad you made it with a tale to tell. All I'm doing is: Just presenting the other side. Yes, there is another side.

Oh, and then there is this, too, on the other side, for us old geezers: The older you get the less you have at risk. That's plain math. Like smoking. Take you thirty years to get cancer? Love to smoke? Sixty six? What's the chances it will ever matter? Any fifth grader should be able to prove that by the numbers. You get to be 66 like me, your QTL (Quality Time Left) is dwindling fast, you want to enjoy the day, light a cigar, ride far. QTL is da bom. Tell you, if I'd known it was going to be this much fun to get old, I woulda got old when I was young enough to enjoy it. From my new enlightened senior perch, I can attest: Riding enjoyment means Goretex and leather this time of year; a nice T with a topical silkscreen in Summer.

... and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Im new to riding but for the moment im erring on the side of caution so i gear up. Dont have fancy pants for sliding but full helmet, Triumph leather jacket with some armor in it, leather gloves and combat boots plus jeans are my choice. I have 4 kids and a wife that depend on me so i need to make sure i can weather tje storm before i turn "cantankerous" in my age.

I agree id love to go with less helmet and such to keep me warm or cool enough but im not that comfortable yet to trust the idiots out there to say i can 100% of the time avoid them. Already was hit from behind at a stop light by a kid probably texting...$4400 later of damage to my Bonneville and a sore hip and back from losing the bike and going over.....this was barely a tap but it pushed the bike forward wheras i stayed where i was so lost my feet and over i fall with the bike.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts