Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Backstory: I am attempting to get running a bike my uncle gave me right before he died. 2001 Indian Scout.

He bought it in 01, put 1k miles on it, and then it has sat.

I replaced the fuel line and fuel filter.
I cleaned the Carb bottom out, made sure the float was working and cleaned the jets. This fixed my first problem where nothing would happen without starter fluid. Now I can use the throttle twice and it pushes over for a quick second
I replaced the Throttle and Return/Idle Cable, I did not do this correctly and it is sticking, but I will get back to that once I get the thing started.
Replaced the spark plugs and ensured the .040 gap

Current Issue:
If I give it some gas to prime it, it fires up, eat the gas then cuts out.
If I do not give it any gas to prime it, the starter just turns over with no spark of fuel.

Here is a video.

Can anyone point in the the correct direction, next troubleshooting step or tell me how to tell if fuel is coming out of the idle jet?

·
Bronze member
1,954 Posts
Intake manifold air leak would be my guess. Maybe a wide spray of starter fluid onto the manifold at the head while cranking it over.

I know nothing about that motorcycle model but hopefully you’ve checked vacuum line(s) if it has any.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fresh gas? If not, drain tank and reclean carb. Does it run if you continue giving it gas? It is almost definitely something still clogged

·
Bronze member
2,165 Posts
Sorry about your uncle.

Clean tank, good fuel flow? Check/replace all of the fuel lines, filters etc if not that remember FSA- fuel, spark, air.
19 yrs is long time for a bike to sit. Gas usually turns into thick gum in short order. Start with the basics, then keep going to the next level. Good luck.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Pull the carburetor and have it ultrasonically cleaned and rebuilt. It is clogged and will be a nightmare to live with if you dont get it cleaned.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I have already cleaned out the gas tank and put fresh gas in it, I had just forgot to list that step.
Last night, before I saw this, I tried to clean the idle jet again. This time the throttle pin in the back came out of the carb. I am not sure it hurt anything, it looks like it just goes up and pushes on something outside of the carb with a spring.

I am looking up replacement carbs, they are not cheap, but probably worth getting a new one or trying to find someone who knows how to rebuild this one. The problem is I really want to learn how to do it myself, but I also want it to run one day. If I order a new part, at least I swapped the part myself. Maybe I can find someone who will let me watch them rebuild it and learn from it.

Unless one of you post here and scream NO DON'T DO THAT, after I cut the grass because adulting, I am going to spray carb cleaner in the jet hole in the top part of the carb. I am guessing you guys are right and there is still gunk in there. If it brings it any closer to life, I can assume this is the issue and follow the path spoken about above.

Thank you for all of your help, you guys are awesome, I cannot wait to get this on the road. I will be the first bike I have ridden since that 1 time at someones house I was on a dirt bike for 10 minutes.

2001 Indian Scout

·
Silver member
4,987 Posts
Two things, you can get a rebuild kit from S&S cycle and it is pretty easy to rebuilt that carb. It is an S&S Super E carb.

Second, Did you actually remove the petcock when you cleaned the gas tanks. And if the bike is stock that Goya knock off petcock is a real piece of shiiiite. Get rid of it.

I would recommend you replace that with a Pingle high flow petcock. It is well worth the 100.00 or whatever they cost now days.

That was literally like the second mod I did to my Spirit back in the day. It made a world of difference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is the manual for the carb it has some good breakdown diagrams of where everything goes if you get confused during cleaning / Rebuilding the carb and also explains how to properly adjust the carb. But most importantly as Pablo94 stated above make sure the petcock has been cleaned and then consider rebuilding the carb. Hope you find this helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try adjusting ( or cleaning) the idle adjustment screw. It is on the top at a 45 angle and has a spring under it.
Have tried lifting the enrichment lever to see if it stays running?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try adjusting ( or cleaning) the idle adjustment screw. It is on the top at a 45 angle and has a spring under it.
Yes, if I pull the throttle twice before cranking, it seems to just use the gas and die. I did pull the "not a choke" lever to the up position and it made no difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I set the carb back to the "defaults" I found on S&S website, but that id not seem to make a difference. I did not clean the idles screw, I will do that next. Do I pull it all the way out to clean it, or just clean it while it is in the carb. I can turn it by hand, pretty easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is the fuel petcock open? take the hose off the carb and make sure there is gas getting there.
Petcock is open and fuel is running. At one point, I was pulling the bottom of the carb off again and forgot to close the petock and was wondering how much gas was going to come out, until I remembered lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the manual for the carb it has some good breakdown diagrams of where everything goes if you get confused during cleaning / Rebuilding the carb and also explains how to properly adjust the carb. But most importantly as Pablo94 stated above make sure the petcock has been cleaned and then consider rebuilding the carb. Hope you find this helpful.
thank you!, I will take a look. I tried to locate the screws to take the carb out, it looks like it is 2+ screws and includes the intake manifold??? I thought those parts would be separate. I will read the manual you just sent and see what it isays.

·
Rider
1,139 Posts
A possible shortcut, not solving the problem - but maybe working around it. Try cranking the throttle back like 8-10 times. Just short of flooding it. Then if it starts might run long enough to fully engage. Worked for my 2001 Chief.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts