Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations regarding the best aftermarket (quick detach) rider backrest (and hardware) to fit a 2016 Chief Dark Horse. I realize it would probably be best to stick with the Indian brand, but I can't justify spending that much at this time. Also need a windshield bag to fit the same bike. The Indian bag is pretty, but way too expensive for me. Thanks...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have this backrest from Grasshopper. About $100. Black or tan, studs or not. Quality product, made in the USA and does the job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Grasshopper Limited backrest on my 2016 Chief DH and it looks and works well enough for me. Super comfy but I had to put some electrical tape around the rest to raise it up to my height.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I have a friend who got the Grasshopper and he was quite impressed with it for the price.

There are ebay copies of the OEM one that people say are probably made in the same factory but they don't engrave them as Indian and they sell heaps cheaper. I have one of those that I bought used from another forum member.

The OEM style has a separate bracket that bolts to the bike under the seat, whereas the Grasshopper mounts to the underside of the seat itself. The OEM has a screw fore/aft adjustment that the Grasshopper doesn't have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure about the pocket but I assume it's just some extra storage space. The backrest is quite different from the Indian brand one I think. A little less adjustable and it doesn't flip down like the Indian one.

My backrest came with a bracket that bolts to the bike itself; not the seat.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
Btw, did either one of you get the one with a pocket? What's that all about?
No pocket on mine. It is for a little bit of storage. The mount is permanently mounted below the seat, and the backrest slides into the mount. Easily removed for storage if needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Grasshopper as well! Got it on Amazon. Slips on and off in seconds and fits in saddlebag if you are worried about leaving it in bike when stopping for lunch. Love it!

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Bought my Vintage "pre-loved" and it already had the I/P backrest. I really like the quality and adjustment abilities. You might wanna keep and eye on the Parts For Sale forum here on the site. I've picked up a few goodies for my bike at some very reasonable prices.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts