Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HelloI just recently joined the forum as I believe this to be the best place for knowledge and experience in any matter regarding my motorcycle.

I became the new owner of a 2017 Chief Darkhorse , and I have personally put just under 4K on the bike. It has less than 5k on it; last weekend I was riding and the clutch started to slip bad it didn’t matter what gear. I limped it home less than 10 miles and get to my drive way which is slanted. I have shifted to neutral got the gate and get on to shift to first in order to pull in. The bike never moves try to see if first went out and shift to second same through all gears. I purchased the barnet clutch pack and am active duty so don’t get answers and free to tear the bike apart for a while.

Finally torn apart thinking simple clutch pack will do. Friction plates are welded together and first plate e teeth are pretty much gone. I don’t know if the picture does it justice. Now I have aluminum shavings all through the case and Indians look like it’s all a single unit, unlike HD where primary seems to be separate.

Questions are1 any one seen , or heard of this happening is it normal?

2 With how everything is together do I have to now pull the engine because there are aluminum shavings everywhere or would a good flush do the trick?

3 Bikes warranty just went out in February and am kicking myself. However, I know there have been some recalls with the false neutral but don’t see any reason for that to be related any one else ?

I ride my bike hard however, this isn’t my first bike and have never had anything like this happen. Seems clutch issues are not uncommon for the Indians but this seems to be kinda ridiculous . I don’t think I burnt out the clutch as this one just had a malfunction.

Please any info is much appreciated . I’m new to the forum so if I have posted wrong please let me know and/ or gone about this any wrong way that’s not my intention. As I don’t know what I don’t know.

vr/
Richard

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One thing I forgot to mention is everything else looks good so far , other then shavings everywhere. I don’t want to keep upgrading the clutch if it’s going to be a continuous issue though. Or, if there is something I should do before. Thanks to all again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is this the original clutch assy. or has work been done on it before? This was the first sign of any trouble?
Several of us feel the clutch slips from time to time, but this is in another wheelhouse entirely. [no pun intended]
Perhaps those who frequent the "Tech Q&A" section would be of more help. Not all mechanics check the DH section.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,607 Posts
HelloI just recently joined the forum as I believe this to be the best place for knowledge and experience in any matter regarding my motorcycle.

I became the new owner of a 2017 Chief Darkhorse , and I have personally put just under 4K on the bike. It has less than 5k on it; last weekend I was riding and the clutch started to slip bad it didn’t matter what gear. I limped it home less than 10 miles and get to my drive way which is slanted. I have shifted to neutral got the gate and get on to shift to first in order to pull in. The bike never moves try to see if first went out and shift to second same through all gears. I purchased the barnet clutch pack and am active duty so don’t get answers and free to tear the bike apart for a while.

Finally torn apart thinking simple clutch pack will do. Friction plates are welded together and first plate e teeth are pretty much gone. I don’t know if the picture does it justice. Now I have aluminum shavings all through the case and Indians look like it’s all a single unit, unlike HD where primary seems to be separate.

Questions are1 any one seen , or heard of this happening is it normal?

2 With how everything is together do I have to now pull the engine because there are aluminum shavings everywhere or would a good flush do the trick?

3 Bikes warranty just went out in February and am kicking myself. However, I know there have been some recalls with the false neutral but don’t see any reason for that to be related any one else ?

I ride my bike hard however, this isn’t my first bike and have never had anything like this happen. Seems clutch issues are not uncommon for the Indians but this seems to be kinda ridiculous . I don’t think I burnt out the clutch as this one just had a malfunction.

Please any info is much appreciated . I’m new to the forum so if I have posted wrong please let me know and/ or gone about this any wrong way that’s not my intention. As I don’t know what I don’t know. View attachment 598510

vr/
Richard
I would get with @RACNRAY. He works on these quite a bit and might have some insight on what would need to be done to make sure you don't trash your engine. Dean

Reactions: RACNRAY

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the reply . I’ll try and reach out to Ray.

Original clutch and no previous work done regarding clutch, the bike has less than 5k on it. I have ran nothing but Indians oil so it’s not a lack of lubrications for the friction plates. I don’t have a BBK as I know some had issues in the past from what I see in the threads.

Right now the plan is the Barnett extra plate clutch pack , flushing everything and going start from there . I need to take another really good look at the cable and see if anything has even the slightest fray or out of the norm. I might have missed something the adjustment was okay.

Just going to really flush everything out. Order a new Barnett cable to go with the pack already so I have one on standby.

Nearest dealer is over two hours away so going to take the plates to them and see what they say once it’s back together.

Motor sounds fine nothing out of the norm. I just want to flush it really well with some cheap oil and filters to make sure no contamination. Once it’s back together Im going to top off with oil filter kit . I’ll half the oil life for the first time as reassurance.

Thank you once again for the reply.
v/r
Richard.

·
Bronze member
1,693 Posts
Thank you for the reply . I’ll try and reach out to Ray.

Original clutch and no previous work done regarding clutch, the bike has less than 5k on it. I have ran nothing but Indians oil so it’s not a lack of lubrications for the friction plates. I don’t have a BBK as I know some had issues in the past from what I see in the threads.

Right now the plan is the Barnett extra plate clutch pack , flushing everything and going start from there . I need to take another really good look at the cable and see if anything has even the slightest fray or out of the norm. I might have missed something the adjustment was okay.

Just going to really flush everything out. Order a new Barnett cable to go with the pack already so I have one on standby.

Nearest dealer is over two hours away so going to take the plates to them and see what they say once it’s back together.

Motor sounds fine nothing out of the norm. I just want to flush it really well with some cheap oil and filters to make sure no contamination. Once it’s back together Im going to top off with oil filter kit . I’ll half the oil life for the first time as reassurance.

Thank you once again for the reply.
v/r
Richard.
Feel free to call me at my shop 954-455-9665

·
Bronze member
2,208 Posts
Ray should help you out. Here's a link with some really helpful instructions and photos when putting in your new Barnett clutch if you need it. Flush that engine thoroughly, glad you stopped ridding it till it's fixed. Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got it all together . So looks like Ray called it on the money when I talked to him while back. Mechanic and I must have missed it five times . Long story short broke it all down There is a shifter/fork that grabs on the gear. Shifter paw and wheel I think is what it’s called. Any how It managed to come loose and skipped to where it just sits directly on top of the wheel if that makes since. Bike would never move because it wasn’t grabbing gears to shift since the fork was out . On top of it all the cam chain tensioner was broke . Indian dealer did a solid and replaced part out of good faith. They also wound up doing the gear position switch replacement. Bike is back together as of late Friday night . It’s Sunday just after five and pulled in with a little over 600 miles since it has been back together.

Thanks again Ray and just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the knowledge and help. Hope I can pay it forward down the road .

·
Bronze member
3,160 Posts
Less than 5000 miles,and that much damage, something has to be causing that.
Was the guy you bought it from a burnout king or something?

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
Get with your dealer and have them contact the Zone Manager of Polaris/Indian for your area. This is not normal wear and tear. It is possible, if you documented everything with photos, even if is out of warranty... it is possible that Polaris/Indian might cover some of your costs.
It's worth a shot! The worst that can happen is that they say, "No!" This was not normal! I have never seen a clutch look like that, with as few miles you have logged on it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer ship took really good care of me finally . I had to go to a different dealership since the one the bike came from shut down with no warning whatsoever. Yeah, a lot of people were not happy about that one! It seems to be rolling along well though . Just went in to the office and back this morning . Everything seems copacetic, thanks again everyone . The dealership said they had only seen two bikes ever do what it had done so must have just pulled the short straw on that one. They replaced parts at no charge, only charged for the oil which it needed anyway.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,607 Posts
I would probable do some quick interval oil changes to make sure you get any remaining particles out of the system. Maybe again at 500 miles and depending on how that looked another with an additional 500 miles. Dean

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
Dealer ship took really good care of me finally . I had to go to a different dealership since the one the bike came from shut down with no warning whatsoever. Yeah, a lot of people were not happy about that one! It seems to be rolling along well though . Just went in to the office and back this morning . Everything seems copacetic, thanks again everyone . The dealership said they had only seen two bikes ever do what it had done so must have just pulled the short straw on that one. They replaced parts at no charge, only charged for the oil which it needed anyway.
Always good to hear of a dealership taking good care of a loyal customer! Just remember there kindness when you need parts or service. They might charge a few dollars more for parts than the internet stores, but they make up for it with loyalty to their customers.

·
Bronze member
2,208 Posts
Good to hear the dealer took care of it. I'd probably second the early oil change interval just to help flush any remaining floating debris. You may want to add a stack of magnets to the oil filter as well. I got a couple of neodymium magnets on my oil filter, 24/7 cheap insurance the way I see it. Cheers.

Reactions: Chief Signguru
1 - 15 of 15 Posts