Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and new to Indian. I purchased a 2018 Chief Vintage and absolutely love it. Yesterday, while riding from North Myrtle Beach to Charlotte, I stopped for gas. It was hot outside (low 90s). Once the pump clicked off and I pulled the filler out, gas started welling up out of the tank! It was a good amount of gas, enough that I had to rinse off the bike. How can I prevent this from recurring? Fill it part way and wait for the new gas to cool off the tank? Has anyone had this happen before. I couldn't find anything on internet searches. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I never, ever rely on the automatic pump shut off when filling my Vintage. I always manually fill the tank and visually inspect how full the tank is getting (periodically move the pump handle as necessary) and slowly add gas until I reach the bottom of the filler neck.

·
Registered
491 Posts
That is certainly odd. I feel it up until the nozzle clicks but keeping an eye on it at the same time. I've had a pretty full but never ever had I sing gasoline pour out like you are talking about. I live in Florida and it gets pretty doggone hot in the summertime

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had this happen to me on my old Dodge Durango. Gas would come spilling out after the pump clicked. I don't know what exactly it means or why it happens. However, I'm with OregonBob and slowly manually fill it while watching it. I'll let the gas settle a little and then put in more until it is full. For the most part, we are only putting in like 4 gallons. So doesn't take long to take your time filling. It does, however, save you from having to clean up the mess if it comes out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. It was a little unsettling to think about the thing literally going up in flames.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts