Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Newbie at the gates with a question...

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Joegopher 
#1 ·
Greetings!

So, I'm hoping to join the tribe (very) soon. I am looking at a pre-owned RM 2017, and I'd like your expert opinion on a couple issues (hope it's the right forum for this, please redirect if necessary...)

It's a 9,000 miles bike with Stage 2, replaced headers (no cat), and open Rinehart. Should I have any concerns about impact on future engine maintenance issues? Is there any way to bring the noise level down a notch? (asking for the passenger...) The bike is outside the original warranty, so I don't think I can buy an extended warranty at this point: is this something I should worry about?

Thanks in advance!

#6 ·
I‘ve a 2017 RM with Stage-1 AC, Stage-2 cam‘s and the Jekil sind Hyde mufflers.

My wife has no concerns about the noise. During riding the noise is going more behind the bike, then to the rider and passenger.
We both are enjoying the deep and thunk rumble sound. :D

#11 ·
Wow. Many thanks for y'all fast and helpful replies!

I called Rinehart and I was advised that the best first step to tone down the sound is wrapping the baffles. If I end up getting the bike, it'll be the second thing I try (first thing will be to convince my better half that it's music and not noise...)

On the warranty thing: is the consensus here that it's pretty much a waste of $, I shouldn't worry about it, and I'm better off banking the $1,600 cost?

Zevi

#15 ·
From what I understand, there are 2 different baffles for the Rineharts. I have a set on my Springfield, and while they are the "loudest" of my three Indians (Bassani and Indian Fishtails), I wouldn't call them obnoxious or headache inducing by any stretch. The original owner may have put the louder baffles in for their preference. Worth getting the specs from Rinehart and checking it out.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.