Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well gang,"TODAY" the sun was out,the sky was alittle on the cloudy side,and the temp was a blistering 29*F,so off I went for alittle NEW YEARS DAY ride,covering just under 80 miles,but "BOY",did it feel great to get back on it again since the snow we got a couple weeks ago had finally melted enough so the roads were clear again with just a trace of the salt dust on em.But I only saw one other nut,[I mean biker,lol ] out enjoying the day.The rest of the WIMPS were all at home waiting for the warm weather to return.[What a bunch of "PUSSIES] lol lol Dave!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ride all winter here in Mass. The bike runs great in the cold weather. My only requirement is dry, salt free roads. Today was a decent day but with snow tonight the roads will salty again tomorrow. I rode about 2k miles during each of the past two winters since they were so mild with minimal snow.

·
Bronze member
1,925 Posts
only saw one other nut,[I mean biker,lol ] out enjoying the day.The rest of the WIMPS were all at home waiting for the warm weather
Heh-heh. You sure wouldn’t see me riding when it’s below freezing!
Hey... I thought you didn’t like cold. ☃ :coffee:

Storms blew in overnight for New Year’s Eve bringing with it a warm 70° and sunny afternoon today. Only problem was the wind, gusts were between 30 and 40 mph. Was blowing my Scout all over the road. 🌬
Most of the 60 miles were OK anyhow.

·
Bronze member
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ride all winter here in Mass. The bike runs great in the cold weather. My only requirement is dry, salt free roads. Today was a decent day but with snow tonight the roads will salty again tomorrow. I rode about 2k miles during each of the past two winters since they were so mild with minimal snow.
You're quite correct,as the bike ,or any motor vehicle for that matter,will run better in the colder temps! Why?? Because the colder air leans out the air/fuel mixture.But you also live a bit south of me here in glorious Taxachuestts where it's alittle warmer.I live two miles from the N.H. line where it's colder.But that still doesn't stop me from riding in the winter months,that is,as long as the roads are reasonably clear,no ice or salt.However,in the past,[my younger days,lol] and before retiring,I was on the road 24/7,using my bike for commuting to work every single day,[15 miles] even during the blizzard of 78!! [remember that??] And ya should have seen the looks I got from anyone who saw some nut driving down the road in that blizzard on a two wheeler!! :eek::giggle: And the best part was,I never went down during that storm!!:)

·
Bronze member
2,113 Posts
After hearing this I got to take some time off from work, home projects and honey do list chores and get out and go riding. No excuse here weather wise- 64 degrees, dry and sunny today.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,747 Posts
At 67 I can remember back when I used to ride in low temperatures (lowest was 27 degrees F). As I aged a bit I raised the thresh-hold. When I reached 35 then 35 degrees became my minimum temp and 40 degrees when I turned forty. It remained my minimum riding temperature limit for an entire decade until I reached the age of fifty. Then fifty degrees F has been my low limit ever since for over 17 years now. I don't really care what someone else thinks of me as it's just what suits me.

·
Bronze member
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As long as you're wearing the correct cold weather gear [I have the complete set of the Gerbing Lectric Clothing,with their thermostat to regulate the heat] it will make all the difference in the world when riding in cold temps, the coldest so far that I've riden in was -25*F,but I also had a face mask on.[my beard doesn't quite do the trick,lol lol] I mean,it's not like driving in your car,but it isn't really that bad either,not to mention,I'm pushing 74 years of age!!

(y)

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
As long as you're wearing the correct cold weather gear [I have the complete set of the Gerbing Lectric Clothing,with their thermostat to regulate the heat] it will make all the difference in the world when riding in cold temps, the coldest so far that I've riden in was -25*F,but I also had a face mask on.[my beard doesn't quite do the trick,lol lol] I mean,it's not like driving in your car,but it isn't really that bad either,not to mention,I'm pushing 74 years of age!!
How in the heck do you get your bike started? My Roadmaster doesn't like to start below about 35F (well not without multiple attempts and fighting to keep it running for the first minute). My Triumph Tiger 1200 will fire right up but I find I have to put up the Indian for the winter.

·
Registered
2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
63 Posts
Davetac1 - You are my hero! I thought I was in my last decade of motorcycle riding. At 74 “years young” you show no signs of slowing down. Ride on brother - I will be right behind you trying to pass!

·
Bronze member
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How in the heck do you get your bike started? My Roadmaster doesn't like to start below about 35F (well not without multiple attempts and fighting to keep it running for the first minute). My Triumph Tiger 1200 will fire right up but I find I have to put up the Indian for the winter.
My bike is parked in my 28X28 foot garage which is heated,[I have a 125,000 BTU Sterling ,ceiling mounted gas heater which works pisser] except,being the cheap so and so that I am, :rolleyes: I only turn the heater on if and when I have work to do out there.So,regarding cold weather starting when she's parked in my garage and the heat is off, I cheat!! I use two small 1500 watt space heaters,[like the ones used under the desk in an office to keep your feet warm].And what I do is place one on each floor board,aiming em directly at the front of the motor,then allowing them to run for 15 minutes or so.What that does is heat up the motor, the starter,and the oil in that general area,so she cranks over almost as good as she does on a summers' day.And it works everytime.But this really wasn't my idea cause another gentleman on here was doing the same thing,except his bike was parked outside in the elements.So he's the guy who deserves any credit for the idea,not me.So there's something you could try.
Now if you needed to use the bike to go someplace where it was gonna be parked outside in the cold weather for any period of time, and without access to heaters,I kinda doubt she would crank over at all,let alone start.:unsure::unsure:
Dave!!!

·
4,747 Posts
You've got better antifreeze in your blood and better arthritus-free cartilage in your joints than I have. More power to you.

·
Bronze member
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You've got better antifreeze in your blood and better arthritus-free cartilage in your joints than I have. More power to you.
I forgot to mention that ,during the late fall and winter months,I have learned to carry a small flask of Ginger Brandy in my saddle bag,so should I get cold or start to shiver,I simply take a small swigg of it [two fingers,and only two fingers] , and it warms my insides up and usually stops me from shivering.And I discovered this little trick alittle over 60 years ago when riding two wheelers during the winter months.But just remember!! A small swigg "ONLY"!! Why?? Cause ya wanna make it home in one piece! lol lol But,believe it or not,the brandy actually WORKS!!! Just don't get carried away!! :oops: Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Davetac1 - You are my hero! I thought I was in my last decade of motorcycle riding. At 74 “years young” you show no signs of slowing down. Ride on brother - I will be right behind you trying to pass!
Approximately 25 years ago,I used to ride with an elderly gentleman who was in his 90's.He always bought brand new HD's every couple of years since he was in his 30's and traveled all over the country.Then after losing his wife and then his son, he lived alone,but continued to ride his HD all over the six New England States and Canada [he was born there] with some of his buddies who were his age.And on a number of occassions,I would bump into him and them while cruising up along the Canadian border with a couple of my buddies,and he always stopped to introduce his friends and chat with us.But I haven't seen him now for a few years and someone told me that he had passed which would explain why.But he was like a legend and a guy that everyone from this area knew and respected.So maybe,just maybe,I'll follow in his foot steps.lol I would sure like to do that.And my wife tells me that since only the good die young,I shouldn't have any problem,what so ever!! lol lol Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well gang,today,the sky is milky white in color with sunshine breaking thru,and the temp, 50* and climbing! BUT,the Einsteins that run the city,decided to salt the shit out of the roads in order to use up their salt allotment so the roads are snow white from all that salt and BAD NEWS for the Aluminum used on the motorcycles.So even though it's a good day to ride,it's not a good day for the bike.So needless to say,mine will stay parked until it rains and washes that salt away!!GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

·
Registered
2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
63 Posts
Started my 1977 XS750 today. ( Actually carbureted bikes start easily in cold weather.) I will never stop riding this bike. It’s like kissing your high school girl friend all over Again!

Attachments

·
Bronze member
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never had a "HIGH SCHOOL GIRL FRIEND". My girl friend was my bike and she never bitched about anything!! lol lol lol

·
4,747 Posts
i had a high school girl friend in ninth and part of tenth grade then she dumped me for an upper classman. I got my first job and first car that next summer and saved enough to buy my first motorcycle a year later, No more high school girlfriends after her. I didn't really start dating till after high school, with girls from other towns.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts