Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering another bike next Summer. What something a little less bulky than my 17 RM. I have no plans to ditch her. Love it.
On my Radar, thus far are the Kawasaki Concourse (Connie), basically a detuned Ninja 1400.
Yamaha FJR 1300 and now this:
2018 Yamaha Star Eluder Transcontinental Touring Motorcycle - Photo Gallery, Video, Specs, Features, Offers, Inventory and more . It looks to be competing with the Chieftains.

What's others thoughts on these 3 bikes and specifically the Eluder? Anyone have this or the full touring Transcontinental?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I am considering another bike next Summer. What something a little less bulky than my 17 RM. I have no plans to ditch her. Love it.
On my Radar, thus far are the Kawasaki Concourse (Connie), basically a detuned Ninja 1400.
2018 Yamaha Star Eluder Transcontinental Touring Motorcycle - Photo Gallery, Video, Specs, Features, Offers, Inventory and more .I like that it is Water Cooled. It looks to be competing with the Chieftains.

What's others thoughts on these 3 bikes and specifically the Eluder? Anyone have this or the full touring Transcontinental?
Isn't that an air cooled bike?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I went to IMS 2018 NYC yesterday and spent some time just sitting on Eluder. It is pretty roomy. The bike's close details are nice and neat. Unfortunately, I don't have a chance to try on. The engine looks nice, too. IMO, among those three you mentioned, this one is quite a good option to go with.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Below:

The Yamaha Star Eluder’s best dyno result was 76.36 hp @ 4,170 rpm and 112.35 pound-feet of torque @ 2,560 rpm.

Cycle World

Below: FM's chart for a stock 111.

The Yamaha just beats the 111 - but with practically identical curve shape..

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you're after a fast, comfortable, well-ish, (no cruise..:mad:) equipped touring motorcycle with some great features, at a great value, the Connie is very tough to pass up. It will eat up the miles in general comfort, offers some great performance, and you can get even the newest versions (2015+) for an incredible deal. The latest edition of the 1352cc VVT motor is sweet.
Since I was in the market for a sport tourer, naturally I tried the FJR as well, but didn't like it as much, so I bought the Connie. Absolutely love it. As for the Eluder, I have no saddle time on one, but I feel like it's just so close to what the RM already gives you. Have fun shopping.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Dem Yammys are saweet... If only they were Ahmericun mayde, wid Ahmericun soul.. Probly Samurai soul'd - whitch ain't bad eether..

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If you're after a fast, comfortable, well-ish, (no cruise..:mad:) equipped touring motorcycle with some great features, at a great value, the Connie is very tough to pass up. It will eat up the miles in general comfort, offers some great performance, and you can get even the newest versions (2015+) for an incredible deal. The latest edition of the 1352cc VVT motor is sweet.
Since I was in the market for a sport tourer, naturally I tried the FJR as well, but didn't like it as much, so I bought the Connie. Absolutely love it. As for the Eluder, I have no saddle time on one, but I feel like it's just so close to what the RM already gives you. Have fun shopping.
Thank you. I find the FJR sits a bit high for my 32" inseam. I was super close to buying a Connie in the Winter of 16/17 when I walked through the Indian showroom to get to the multi brand showroom at my dealer. I got stuck in there and the rest is history.
No stock cruise on the connie yet?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I had a Concours that I traded for my Springfield. The Concours ate up the miles and I never had an issue. Oil and filter change in 20 minutes on the center stand and cost me $30. You can buy a gently used one for 5-7k. The FJR is just as reliable. Easy oil/filter change. A guy from work just put his to pasture @230k and bought another one used for 3k. The Eluder is a pig and I haven’t heard anything great about them. I think a Concours or FJR would compliment your RM.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I am considering another bike next Summer. What something a little less bulky than my 17 RM.
There are few motorcycles this side of a Boss Hoss that are more bulky than the Yamaha 'Eluder', the thing is an effing tank.

It's named correctly though, and whatever appeal it is supposed to have has indeed 'Eluded' me, and apparently I'm not alone, as many are collecting dust on showroom floors.

I guess I'm not a fan.

We owned a first-gen concourse some years ago, bought it new as a non-current and got it for a very good price at the time, $9995.

It had a great engine, and at 155 hp, it could move. It was, to me, perhaps the most comfortable highway bike I've ever owned, except for the supremely uncomfortable amount of engine heat it produced. It got so that if it was 80 degrees or higher, I just wouldn't ride it.

At about the 2500 mile marker, it's handling and cornering capabilities degraded to the point that it scared you in curves, and was very unstable. Apparently, this was due to the OEM tires they used on the first-gen 1400's.

Average fuel mileage was on the poor side, though it held enough gas to still give it a decent touring range.

Our 1400 was one of the most top-heavy bikes I've ever experienced, and could make parking lot maneuvers...'interesting' at times.

The tops of the bags on Connies are almost always scuffed up on the right side from banging them with the rider's shoe as they miscalculate the absurd mounting height of the bags, due almost entirely to the gigantic, upswept muffler that forces the bags to be mounted much too high in order to accommodate the 'fashionably racy' exhaust can.

The seat height must be at least 34 inches.

Other than those few nitpicks, it was...ok.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are few motorcycles this side of a Boss Hoss that are more bulky than the Yamaha 'Eluder', the thing is an effing tank.

It's named correctly though, and whatever appeal it is supposed to have has indeed 'Eluded' me, and apparently I'm not alone, as many are collecting dust on showroom floors.

I guess I'm not a fan.

We owned a first-gen concourse some years ago, bought it new as a non-current and got it for a very good price at the time, $9995.

It had a great engine, and at 155 hp, it could move. It was, to me, perhaps the most comfortable highway bike I've ever owned, except for the supremely uncomfortable amount of engine heat it produced. It got so that if it was 80 degrees or higher, I just wouldn't ride it.

At about the 2500 mile marker, it's handling and cornering calabilities degraded to the point that it scared you in curves, and was very unstable. Apparently, this was due to the OEM tires they used on the first-gen 1400's.

Average fuel mileage was on the poor side, though it held enough gas to still give it a decent touring range.

Our 1400 was one of the most top-heavy bikes I've ever experienced, and could make parking lot maneuvers...'interesting' at times.

The tops of the bags on Connies are almost always scuffed up on the right side from banging them with the rider's shoe as they miscalculate the absurd mounting height of the bags, due almost entirely to the gigantic, upswept muffler that forces the bags to be mounted much too high in order to accommodate the 'fashionably racy' exhaust can.

The seat height must be at least 34 inches.

Other than those few nitpicks, it was...ok.
Was the 1st gen Connie Air or Water cooled?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Be careful on the Eluder/Transcontinental. The owners on the forums are bitching and moaning about the heat and they are having serious electrical glitches with the info system. I rode the big Yamaha bikes for nearly 25 years and I've never seen a Yamaha bike with this many issues.

·
Registered
724 Posts
2018 Yamaha Star Eluder Transcontinental Touring Motorcycle - Photo Gallery, Video, Specs, Features, Offers, Inventory and more .I like that it is Water Cooled. It looks to be competing with the Chieftains.

I rode the Transcontinental before getting my RM. Felt like I was sitting on a 55 gallon barrel.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Be careful on the Eluder/Transcontinental. The owners on the forums are bitching and moaning about the heat and they are having serious electrical glitches with the info system. I rode the big Yamaha bikes for nearly 25 years and I've never seen a Yamaha bike with this many issues.

They are also having issues with cam lubrication some have already had to have the top end replaced. These bikes aren't selling and resale will take a huge hit, way more than Indian or Harley.

The GPS is pretty anemic and guys are complain about that as well too.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
They are also having issues with cam lubrication some have already had to have the top end replaced. These bikes aren't selling and resale will take a huge hit, way more than Indian or Harley.

The GPS is pretty anemic and guys are complain about that as well too.
Can you post a link to these forums ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 117 Posts