Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the 2020s added the rear cylinder deactivation, and changed the rake, but I am having a hard time deciding. I have wanted a Chief since the brand was resurrected in the early 2000s by the previous company, but couldn't afford one at the time and was riding a V-star 1100 classic. Shortly after, I took 15 years away from riding because I had 3 kids. Now the kids are older and independent, and I think it is time to ride again. I am not a stickler for new vs well kept used, and there are a number of used Chief around here it seems with 10K or fewer miles on them for 11-14K compared to 20K for new. I can afford the new, I am just wondering if it is really worth it. I am in the DFW TX area, so I know the cylinder deactivation might be nice to have, but that alone is not worth 6-8k for me. What else has changed?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,412 Posts
I think the base model was dropped from the line up but the dark horse and the Vintage models live on. I think 2018 might have been the last year for the base Chief.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was, though realistically I am looking for a vintage style, leather bags and windshield. Though one of the used options locally is a Chief with stage 1 exhaust, windshield and bags that looks pretty similar to the current vintage without the fringe.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The newer models also have the Standard, Tour , and Sport modes or throttle maps to choose when riding .

Other than that , rake reduction, and rear cylinder deactivation were the only other changes were made to models still in production .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor / bronze
2,984 Posts
You should test ride to help decide. The rake makes a difference. I much prefer the new rake. But it is for you to decide. If the new rake is better for you tenth new price looks better. But maybe you won't care or prefer the older rake. n that case look for a deal. Vintages which are probably the mostly beautiful bike made by Indian are harder to find.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Have you considered a new previous year model? I made a great deal on a new 2019 Chief Vintage recently.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't seen any 2019 new Chief for sale, I have seen a couple of Springfields, which I would totally go with, but a 2019 Springfield at current discounting would be the same price as a 2020 Chief Vintage once I put on the the leather bags instead of hard.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suppose the best option is to ride both and see. If it really is just the rake/cylinder deactivation, and ride modes, I guess it would have to come down to how I feel about the rake. I might be willing to pay a $1k premium for the cylinder deactivation, but not $6k, and I have no real interest in the ride modes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Honestly, if you can get a 2020 if you're looking at Vintage, I'd go with that. It's going to be the best handling option available to you.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I haven't seen any 2019 new Chief for sale, I have seen a couple of Springfields, which I would totally go with, but a 2019 Springfield at current discounting would be the same price as a 2020 Chief Vintage once I put on the the leather bags instead of hard.
Not sure where you're located. If you are willing to travel there are 2019 Vintage's to be had.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Check the inventory online for Route 66 indian (part of the imotorsports group). The have a fly & drive, or they can ship it to you.

·
Bronze member
2,765 Posts
Yo @Beasley , you ARE checking all 4 dealerships, right ?

Big Tex is showing a '16 Vintage - asking $13.2K
Ft Worth Indian has several used Vintage's...

Didn't look at Lone Star...

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, plenty of used, that's kind of my point. Is it worth that much more for 2020.

·
Registered
147 Posts
One other change that has not been mentioned.....the 2020 Chief and Vintage models now have the same air-adjustable rear shock as the other models. I think this is worth a lot if you may be switching between solo and two-up riding. The adjustment procedure for the manually-adjustable shock on the pre-'20 is pretty complicated. If you would just be riding solo, then not such a big deal; set it once and basically forget it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You can get used saddlebags from time to time in the classified section on this website. I just picked up a set to put on my 2019 Springfield so I have the option of either locking hardbags or leather. I really prefer the handling of the reduced rake bikes.

·
Bronze member
3,472 Posts
depends on how far back you go... 18 changed the pistons to get rid of the clack some of them had, handle bar control cubes and chain tensioner... the 19 changed to the updated valve springs and another new and improved change tensioner.. also depends on the build date but some 19's take 5.5 quarts of oil some 6... I don't think anyone really knows what changed to make that change probably just a minor change in the cases.. the rest has already been posted

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
985 Posts
I ride a 14 Chief Classic and I really enjoy the longer rake. My bike rides great on the highway and no problem in parking lots. My old bike was a 2000 Chief and the rake on that bike was much more pronounced, took almost 4 lanes to make a u-turn.

These newer Chiefs are great bikes, I've only had to replace my fuel pump in over 41,000 miles. You can't go wrong on any of the Indians. Check Osprey Leather for bags, they're better quality, larger and about 60% of the Indian bags. Dave, the owner, has all the hookup for our Indians. I've had my Osprey Buffalo bags for 17 years now and they still look great and hold 2x's more gear.

Reactions: Kcjohn

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you want to buy from a dealer, I highly recommend Lone Starr Indian. I purchased a used 2014 Chieftain from them for a very good price. I rode it home to the west coast and discovered a few minor issues after getting the bike home. They quickly found ways to take care of me remotely, doing more than requested, even though they had no obligation to do Anything. Very good and ethical sales people and great tech.

·
Registered
105 Posts
To me the rear cyl deactivation is a big consideration when you are stop and go. When riding in 90 F and above, the rear cylinder cooked my right leg on my 2018 Chieftain. Gutting the cat helped, but still I was uncomfortable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts