Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Rider
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, damned if I know what this is all about. Box stock 2019 1200S, with just over 2,700 miles. No engine mods, no re-mapping.

About 100 miles ago I noticed an increased vibration starting around 3,100 rpm up to around 3,500 rpm. Maybe a bit more overall vibration, as well.

Checked critical engine mount fasteners, chain is lubed and in adjustment, everything else seems fine.

Any thoughts from the group?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Might be interesting to know if it is speed-related, not rpm. For example if it's a balance issue with the wheels or the damping has changed in your suspension, you would notice it at certain speeds independent of the rpm. Just thinking.

·
Rider
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might be interesting to know if it is speed-related, not rpm. For example if it's a balance issue with the wheels or the damping has changed in your suspension, you would notice it at certain speeds independent of the rpm. Just thinking.
Good thought, but it is rpm related, for sure.

·
Rider
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires look good, and no obvious wear spots. Rear wheel has weights, none on front but no obvious signs any had fallen off.

·
Rider
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just went through the entire thread started by @Hatt entitled "I Win!" and the vibration I am getting virtually mirrors his. Sounds as though there was no resolution to the problem.

Damn.....

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Pasted from our conversation
For public consumption

99% sure I did. It took about 3 remote tune exchanges with every new tune better than the previous. I say 99% because the last tune I got late in season, (I was very busy last fall) and we had snow by Halloween. That said I took the FTR with me on vacation to warmer Florida weather over T-day and rode it for a couple days there with what I'd call perfect results. I'm only hesitant to say I'm through it completely because I'd like some more miles on it to confirm my position.

Mine had a tune pretty much from the jump. (By 200 miles if I remember right) At first it was great, but like yours, developed the vibes. In my case it first happened like a light switch. When bike was cold, no vibes. Than as it warmed they would return. When they did, it was much like you report, and around d the RPMs you wrote.
After some more mileage it was there to stay.
I then returned bike to stock. It ran like crap as per stock tune, but the abnormal vibes were gone. what good is that if the bike is nearly unrideable. So I opened a case with my dealer.
That said they acknowledge the crappy stock tune And applaud the FM tune.
I urge everyone that feels they have abnormal vibes to report it. That said, what makes this all confusing, is that the FTRs resonate frequency is right around the same place in the revs as the abnormal one Except the abnormal one is well, abnormal and continues past the 3-4K range that the normal inherent resonate frequency resides.
No body yet knows why this happens yet, but we do (99%) know it can be tuned out. (At least in my case)

I hadn't post further on this issue due to my not being 100%

·
Rider
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pasted from our conversation
For public consumption

99% sure I did. It took about 3 remote tune exchanges with every new tune better than the previous. I say 99% because the last tune I got late in season, (I was very busy last fall) and we had snow by Halloween. That said I took the FTR with me on vacation to warmer Florida weather over T-day and rode it for a couple days there with what I'd call perfect results. I'm only hesitant to say I'm through it completely because I'd like some more miles on it to confirm my position.

Mine had a tune pretty much from the jump. (By 200 miles if I remember right) At first it was great, but like yours, developed the vibes. In my case it first happened like a light switch. When bike was cold, no vibes. Than as it warmed they would return. When they did, it was much like you report, and around d the RPMs you wrote.
After some more mileage it was there to stay.
I then returned bike to stock. It ran like crap as per stock tune, but the abnormal vibes were gone. what good is that if the bike is nearly unrideable. So I opened a case with my dealer.
That said they acknowledge the crappy stock tune And applaud the FM tune.
I urge everyone that feels they have abnormal vibes to report it. That said, what makes this all confusing, is that the FTRs resonate frequency is right around the same place in the revs as the abnormal one Except the abnormal one is well, abnormal and continues past the 3-4K range that the normal inherent resonate frequency resides.
No body yet knows why this happens yet, but we do (99%) know it can be tuned out. (At least in my case)

I hadn't post further on this issue due to my not being 100%
What is strange is that I have kept the stock tune and thus very unclear what would cause this change. The only thing I did recently was to do the 2,500 service, which included opening up the airbox, tapping the dust off the filter, and reinstalling it.

Reactions: Hatt

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
What is strange is that I have kept the stock tune and thus very unclear what would cause this change. The only thing I did recently was to do the 2,500 service, which included opening up the airbox, tapping the dust off the filter, and reinstalling it.
Curious. Did you get factory reflash?

·
Rider
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Curious. Did you get factory reflash?
Excellent question, and I wish I had, because there would be some concrete explanation. But, no it has the stock tune from when I bought it last November.

Reactions: Hatt

·
Rider
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a couple of questions for the fuel injection closed loop gurus, of which my knowledge is admittedly lacking: does the ECU in these bikes update anything based on driving habits of the rider? I have had other vehicles (GM trucks with factory computer systems) that claim to adjust based on driving statistics collected over the course of a few hundred miles. Second question is what stored information, if any, is lost when the battery is disconnected and the system de-energized?

·
Rider
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got into email contact with my dealership, and explained the situation. Service head thinks it is a chassis issue, but agreed a test ride would be needed to diagnose. He made it clear that Polaris will warranty any defects, and did not suggest to refrain from riding. When I went out yesterday I still noticed the vibration but it could be ridden around. I think if it was a internal mechanical problem it would be getting worse with time and distance, so I'm chalking it up to mapping issues. Will de-energize the system, restart and see where that goes.

·
Bronze member
3,108 Posts
When my old Harley starts vibrating more than usual,it's a motor mount somewhere that came loose,always the top mount feels like the engine is flying apart.tighten her up and she's back to normal.
Maybe you have a frame bolt that's loose?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
For what it’s worth.......there has been a similar issue with the 111 engine on some bikes, with vibration around the same RPM. Some have solved it by finding that the bolts that hold the exhaust manifold to the cylinder were loose and tightened them to spec with a torque wrench. Just a thought because I’m not that familiar with the FTR1200 and I know the engines have nothing in common.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,840 Posts
I'm on a Scout and came from a Chieftain and never had an FTR. At least yet anyhow. I think these motors all employ a balancing shaft which could be chain driven but I'm not certain. I do know Yamaha had vertical twins back in the early 1970s with chain driven balance shafts. They would start vibrating once those chains stretched.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts