Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I have just purchased my first Indian; a used 2017 Scout 60. It has 1800 miles over three years (I have original BoS) so I would consider that low miles. It is in excellent condition and has had some nice modifications from what I can tell; Trask Performance Air Filter and Trask 3” slip ons (holey moley loud and proud). Since I do not have experience with the bike stock, I decided to join the community and do some research. A lot of great stuff here, lots of opinion, lots of advice, all good input to consider. I am not a “gearhead” (all respect given) so I am not sure of how to filter the info and please forgive me and not say read the boards, lol, been there. I thought I would ask a couple questions out right;

-from the short riding I have done so far, I dont believe an ecu flash/retune was ever done. The former owner said when he had both installed he cant remember the shop mentioning doing this (100 miles away, wont be my shop, not sure when mods were done, result = no info) and I am hearing slight popping when rolling off the throttle at times. Tough to tell with those slip ons though. I have an Indian dealer close to me (though no experience with them). How much should I expect a dealer to charge me to hook up and review whats in there? and if needed, do an ecu reflash to the “best” map given my combo? do I need to worry about the map they use or just getting a stage 1 map will be better than stock?

-I see a lot of people talk about adding a power commander (or other) into the mix, others about bypassing factory sensors, others about not doing that. I really just want to flash (or make sure) that the best map for my setup is in the ecu and enjoy the bike. I understand that if I went this route, I could be sure of the “best” map for my given combo. I am not one for a lot of tweaking and thats a bit of an investment for me. I would be happy with just getting it flashed by the dealer once to ensure it is running right.

-should I be concerned about any damage (even though it is low miles) that this may have done without an adjustment reflash?

-Last question, well for now, lol, should I be worried about heat from the short slip ons and the bags? They have been on it and do not seem to have any noticeable problems on the bottom of the bag, but again, this is a short mileage bike and I am a bit worried about long runs and extended issues with this setup.

Informative and constructive advice always welcome, and many thanks!

(damn, I am loving this bike!)

·
Rider
1,197 Posts
Welcome from Michigan. Congrats on your Scout. I have a Vintage, but I’m sure those that have a Scout will be very helpful with your questions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the tribe!
thank you.. i posted a thread introducing myself in the new member forum and this in the scout 60 forum.. did i do something wrong? will these questions be answered or replied to in the new member forum?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a scout 1133 with vance and hines 3 inch end cans but haven't changed the air filter so will be eagerly watching the responses to your questions. I was thinking about adding the s&s air filter and boosterplug.

·
Administrator
15,536 Posts
thank you.. i posted a thread introducing myself in the new member forum and this in the scout 60 forum.. did i do something wrong? will these questions be answered or replied to in the new member forum?
Sorry — this showed up as your first post and the way it was worded seemed to confirm that. I moved it back.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Welcome! I like the look of the engine on those models. That's cool!

Reactions: Tom603

·
Registered
52 Posts
I get some decal pop with slip ons and no tune but only if I don't roll off the throttle all the way,, on my bike there is just a small fraction from full off to giving gas on the throttle and is kinda hard to do unless I try. I have to admit I try to do it at times ,, happens mostly in second and first. If I fully roll off,, no pop or gurgle

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have just purchased my first Indian; a used 2017 Scout 60. It has 1800 miles over three years (I have original BoS) so I would consider that low miles. It is in excellent condition and has had some nice modifications from what I can tell; Trask Performance Air Filter and Trask 3” slip ons (holey moley loud and proud). Since I do not have experience with the bike stock, I decided to join the community and do some research. A lot of great stuff here, lots of opinion, lots of advice, all good input to consider. I am not a “gearhead” (all respect given) so I am not sure of how to filter the info and please forgive me and not say read the boards, lol, been there. I thought I would ask a couple questions out right;

-from the short riding I have done so far, I dont believe an ecu flash/retune was ever done. The former owner said when he had both installed he cant remember the shop mentioning doing this (100 miles away, wont be my shop, not sure when mods were done, result = no info) and I am hearing slight popping when rolling off the throttle at times. Tough to tell with those slip ons though. I have an Indian dealer close to me (though no experience with them). How much should I expect a dealer to charge me to hook up and review whats in there? and if needed, do an ecu reflash to the “best” map given my combo? do I need to worry about the map they use or just getting a stage 1 map will be better than stock?

-I see a lot of people talk about adding a power commander (or other) into the mix, others about bypassing factory sensors, others about not doing that. I really just want to flash (or make sure) that the best map for my setup is in the ecu and enjoy the bike. I understand that if I went this route, I could be sure of the “best” map for my given combo. I am not one for a lot of tweaking and thats a bit of an investment for me. I would be happy with just getting it flashed by the dealer once to ensure it is running right.

-should I be concerned about any damage (even though it is low miles) that this may have done without an adjustment reflash?

-Last question, well for now, lol, should I be worried about heat from the short slip ons and the bags? They have been on it and do not seem to have any noticeable problems on the bottom of the bag, but again, this is a short mileage bike and I am a bit worried about long runs and extended issues with this setup.

Informative and constructive advice always welcome, and many thanks!

(damn, I am loving this bike!)
View attachment 594653 View attachment 594654
Welcome !

I would get the number of the shop who did the Air Intake install and Exhaust and give them a call....They would have a record of what all they did to the bike.

It is hard to imagine that they did both without a flash , but .... you never know..

A single flash can vary .. I’ve read from as low to 100-200 dollars , depending on the dealer / who you know/ etc ....

IMO, unless you are wanting to fine tune your performance , and make many changes to your bike , a I would not go with a Power Commander . Although , it will give you flexibility to give you variants on fuel maps, but it sounds from your intro you are not interested with that route.

As long as long as there are a couple of inches of clearance from the exhaust , it should not be a problem . ( any touching would present a problem I would imagine)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,914 Posts
Welcome !

I would get the number of the shop who did the Air Intake install and Exhaust and give them a call....They would have a record of what all they did to the bike.

It is hard to imagine that they did both without a flash , but .... you never know..

A single flash can vary .. I’ve read from as low to 100-200 dollars , depending on the dealer / who you know/ etc ....

IMO, unless you are wanting to fine tune your performance , and make many changes to your bike , a I would not go with a Power Commander . Although , it will give you flexibility to give you variants on fuel maps, but it sounds from your intro you are not interested with that route.

As long as long as there are a couple of inches of clearance from the exhaust , it should not be a problem . ( any touching would present a problem I would imagine)

At Dick Scott Freedom Powersports in Livonia, MI, they will install the Indian Performance Intake for $89.00 and reflash the ICM when the bike has it's 10, 20, or 30K service and you already have aftermarket slip-ons.

·
Bronze member
2,710 Posts
Well well @Tom603 .. You may be in for a real "shocker"...

If your Scout 60 is still running the stock tune, or any Indian tune for that matter, you are riding a bike that's operating at roughly 75% of its' capability !

Here is your path to "scary fast" - the Fuel Moto PV3 and then flash the free Fuel Moto Scout 60 Stage 1 tune - get rid of your detune, do it sooner as opposed to later.

·
Registered
437 Posts
At Dick Scott Freedom Powersports in Livonia, MI, they will install the Indian Performance Intake for $89.00 and reflash the ICM when the bike has it's 10, 20, or 30K service and you already have aftermarket slip-ons.
That’s a good deal

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,132 Posts
Welcome to the tribe. I have nothing against your short mufflers but I prefer my own to be long ones so I went with TAB Longs on mine. They're still plenty loud enough for me. I just like them sticking out past the back of the saddlebags a little.
74532310_1306932826132955_1145003981504774144_n.jpg

·
Registered
437 Posts
Welcome to the tribe. I have nothing against your short mufflers but I prefer my own to be long ones so I went with TAB Longs on mine. They're still plenty loud enough for me. I just like them sticking out past the back of the saddlebags a little. View attachment 594805
I almost went with the TAB Longs

. I ended up going with Khrome Werks. I think it has a similar sound to your TAB Longs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agreed on checking what the previous dealer had done to your bike. If nothing fuel moto with a pv3 and a tune. It's worth every penny in my opinion. Hope this helps and Welcome this forum is awesome!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome !

Thank you.. a lot of good direction and info to consider.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts