Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..I've been riding for about 2 years and really enjoy it. I'm ready to upgrade from my 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Custom to an Indian Vintage Chief. Many of the people I know say to be cautious, thinking of the previous issues with Indian. They caution me that where will I get parts a couple of years from now or into the future.

I have a very good feeling about the Indian franchise now that it is with Polaris. I was just wanting some educated opinions or facts regarding parts.

Now that two-tone colors are coming out, I'm thinking of purchasing after those bikes are available depending on price.

Thanks,

Keith

Hampton, Virginia

·
Registered
958 Posts
Well depends on what you want, two tones are nice and pretty. the bike overall is awesome and I am already an owner of a chieftain, but they're basicly the same biek no matter what model you get. Polaris is not going to go under anytime soon, there's too much money behind Indian now to have it go t*ts up. The last owner probably made a nice tidy profit selling name to Polaris. I always wondered what the englishman was thinking charging 35k for what is basicly a chief vintage, with an s&s motor in it. At least that's what I think was in it. You won't have to wait long as 2015's are coming out in august or at least that's when the demo ride for depere wi is going to be. Maybe you can get a nice discount on a 14 then, that would sweeten the deal. Good luck and you will not regret your purchase one bit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think Indian is safe now that Polaris is behindit. Victory has gained traction and I have been inspired by thecompetence of my local dealer (only a 12 mile ride away). I'm waiting tosee the 2015 models before taking the plunge. I was hoping they wouldextend the five year warranty offer to the new models, based on what I've readon the forums, it will need extended coverage.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Couldn't be happier with my purchase. I bought it at the beginning of the riding season. If I was buying this close to the 2015 release l might wait the two or three weeks for the 15s. But I am a sucker for a good deal so depending on how much the dealer would discount 14s would make the difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bought a Chieftain in May and love it. Could have waited and done the two-tone paint scheme but am pleased with the Springfield Blue one I selected. First model year of anything can be risky.....But with Polaris Industries needing and working to get it right out of the gate as there is a signifcant amount a stake, I feel they have done what they set out to do....offer an excellent product at a fair price.
Sure there have been a few issues but I can say from personal experience other US manufacturers have them also......Hence why I now own & ride an Indian.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a new Vintage, it is an awesome motorcycle. The performance and handling is pretty amazing. Indian did a great job on these machines. The only thing I don't like is having to get off of it because it is such a blast to ride.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I purchased the 2014 Indian Chieftain in black. What a great bike. I am saying that as someone who owned HD for over 40 years and a Goldwing for 9 years. The lower center of gravity lets you throw it into a turn and feel stable throughout. The overall ride and handling is better than any HD I have owned. I do recommend getting highway pegs due to the heat coming off both sides of the Indian. It can be quite uncomfortable in the summer months on a long ride. The build quality seems to be good but the service prices are steep after paying $24K for the bike (both backrests) and I am not counting the aftermarket pegs I put on since I had a set in my garage.

Personally, I don't like the 2 tone paint but that is all personal preference. The ABS is amazing!!!

I don't think you need to wait since I don't see much new on the 15 line other than the paint job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with the others.....I think now that Polaris is behind it, it's not a gamble to buy an Indy. Those folks have done a darn good job with the Victories, IMO.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi..I've been riding for about 2 years and really enjoy it. I'm ready to upgrade from my 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Custom to an Indian Vintage Chief. Many of the people I know say to be cautious, thinking of the previous issues with Indian. They caution me that where will I get parts a couple of years from now or into the future.

I have a very good feeling about the Indian franchise now that it is with Polaris. I was just wanting some educated opinions or facts regarding parts.

Now that two-tone colors are coming out, I'm thinking of purchasing after those bikes are available depending on price.

Thanks,

Keith

Hampton, Virginia

I would wait till the 2015's are fully launched, so you can see what they have added to the models or any new models as compared to the 2014's. What's a few weeks any way. I purchased a 2014 Chief Vintage, I can't ride it enough! Rode many BMW's, this almost handles as well for a cruiser, and the motor is absolutely a marvelous design, plenty of power, and torque! The bike has great balance!

I was cautious myself at first about buying the first year, but I thought about it this way, Ok, there giving 5 years on the drive train, unlimited miles, they will give you up to 70% of the market value with the first 2 years on a trade in, and I also thought, OK let's say that I don't like the bike for a number of reasons, and want to sell it, with in the first 18 months, from this first year, (2014) there will not be very many used 2014 or 2015 Indians for sale, So a used 2014-2015 Indian will be in short supply and should sell fast and get a good price. The only thing that could screw up this logic is, If they start to have a lot of problems and major complaints. In my opinion, I just don't think this is going to happen. Polaris-Indian, is truly in it to win it, They had the time, money and commitment to take Victory where it is today, and I really believe the same will happen with Indian.

I'm not just saying this from a very biased opinion, I thought about all this after I did my research, and before I bought my Vintage. Watch out for the demo ride it was what made me sell my BMW, Glad I did!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I just picked up a used cheiftain #947 with 5k miles on it. I waited a year and read all i could on them. The 2014 Harleys have had 2 do not ride recalls already. None for the Indian. Sold my road king no regrets. Could have had a new one but the one I got had all the Goodies already done. Riding Harleys for 35 years same old thing the Indian is a great bike period.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Take the plunge... I have had the run of Harley's, from softtails and road kings, to an ultra. Also had three Gilroy era Indians in the garage. Some years ago I got rid of my HD's and started riding Victorys. Polaris busted tail for 15 years learning how to make a quality bike and made Victory, a new brand successful. They are great solid bikes, way more dependable than HD's. All the time they had their eye on Indian. I have a new Vintage. I was absolutely shocked when I rode the Indians and felt how smooth they were. I have been an Indian fan my entire life and understand what the brand was all about. I think it's safe to say the Polaris has restored Indian to its former glory. What a great motor in the Thunderstroke 111, and it's probably the most beautiful motor ever put in a production motorcycle. Take the plunge and join the Indian faithful, it's a step you'll never regret.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Thanks,

Keith

Hampton, Virginia
I have an 03 Gilroy Chief that I can still get parts for. If you want an Indian, go for it,

·
Registered
443 Posts
I bought a 2014 Black Chieftain, I couldn't pass up the 5 year warranty. I have a 2003 Indian Spirit, love, saw the 2014's had to have one. Get nothing but good compliments about it. I cann't take the smile off my face. Go for it and don't look back.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts

Thanks,

Keith

Hampton, Virginia
Keith, In the best Dutch Uncle voice that I can muster up....

You will ALWAYS be able to find a good reason to wait or put something off. You raise your head up and find that 10 years has passed you by, only to find you still waiting. You will always be able to find people that are quick to tell you to wait too.

Ask yourself:
If not this bike, then which bike?
If not now, then when?

It is a motorcycle, not a tattoo. You can sell the bike if you don't like it.
I got the Indian and the tattoo.

·
Founding member
952 Posts
Other than the name, Indian has nothing in common with the privious creations. Has the best warranty in the business. The only downside is all the people slowing you down wanting to talk about it. Polaris isn't going anywhere. You could get a metric cruiser cheaper. If that's all you want. The ride and handling are second to none. I wouldn't let others make decisions for myself. If I listened to my dad would have never bought a motorcycle, And only drove Cadillacs.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Only things I needed to convince me were, #1 Indian name now owned by Polaris, #2 All new from ground up Indian motorcycles, #3 Beautiful Indian styling and heritage, #4 Indian test ride, #5 It's an Indian!!!

Some of us have had a place in our heart to someday own an Indian for most of our lives, now Polaris has made it possible.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I was ready to pull the trigger I could have rode home on a blue Vintage. I had pretty much sold myself on the two tone so I waited. I had to wait about two months for the factory to build it. It shortened my season on it but I got what I wanted and pleased with it. Got 800 very happy miles on it before Wisconsin winter kicked in.
motorcycles 013.JPG

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Buy it NOW,,,,, if you don't you are unnecessarily delaying gratification.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts