Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a NEW 2018 Chief Classic, other than the neutral light recall anything I should be aware off. Engine seems a little noisy to me, cam chains maybe, was there an upgrade that Indian did?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a NEW 2018 Chief Classic, other than the neutral light recall anything I should be aware off. Engine seems a little noisy to me, cam chains maybe, was there an upgrade that Indian did?
Beware of your clutch cable. It seems that a large number of riders have had an issue with them failing, breaking, withing the first 10,000 miles. Mine went at 4803 miles. After reading multiple postings, I am replacing mine with a Barnett when the dealership replaces it under warranty. I will end up paying the difference in cable cost. Fortunately, mine snapped as I was in neutral. If it had snapped when I was at a stop, It would have rocketed me into traffic. My lever felt loose a few pulls before it went. My lever had a 1/4 inch play in it, maybe the cable stretching.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the heads up, unfortunately my warranty runs out at the end of August, unless I buy extended warranty, any thoughts on that? I will keep an eye on the cable.

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
As far as the clutch cable is concerned, just keep both ends where they go into the clutch shaft arm and level greased pretty good, that's where the breakage occurs. The clutch cable itself is lined with Teflon and doesn't need lubricated.

Indian very quietly changed the clutch lever arm design starting on the 2018 models to have less wear on the cable to minimize wear.

Also periodically check to make sure you adjust the clutch cable for smooth shifting.

As for other things.

1. Make sure the battery cables are periodically checked to make sure they are tight. When they get looses the computers tend to throw codes of all kinds.
2. During cold weather starts and if the battery is low, this can also throw codes.
The above situations are harmless and the codes will clear and the engine check lights will go away after 4 - 5 start cycles.

Indian uses a Can-Bus electrical system. These systems are very picky about tapping into the wiring for aftermarket accessories. However many companies make specific can-bus friendly systems to play nice with the bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the excellent tips and advice. Having my first service on July 28. Is the cam chain noise normal or something I should have checked?

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Thank you for the heads up, unfortunately my warranty runs out at the end of August, unless I buy extended warranty, any thoughts on that? I will keep an eye on the cable.
If you've only just bought the bike new, why is the warranty running out so soon? Even on an old stock bike the warranty should start from the date of first sale - at least here in Australia that's how it operates.

People have very different experiences with the clutch cable. I've made sure mine was properly lubricated, even with the dealer doing the regular servicing and it broke at 50,000 kms - I was riding from home to the dealer anyway so they sent a trailer for me and replaced it under warranty. Some riders don't see half that and others don't have a problem at higher kms than mine.

There was a recall on the clutch lever for my 2018 Springfield DH, so check with your dealer to see if your bike is listed for that new lever. It was mentioned above and it seems that the 2018 bikes get a replacement.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Thanks all for the excellent tips and advice. Having my first service on July 28. Is the cam chain noise normal or something I should have checked?
There is no cam chain, that's only on overhead cams. The Chief has gear driven cams just inside your right ankle and pushrods run up through the tubes.

The service manual has this advice for engine noise, which might be what you are hearing. Ask the dealer to check for this when you take the bike in for the service.

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
There is no cam chain, that's only on overhead cams. The Chief has gear driven cams just inside your right ankle and pushrods run up through the tubes.

The service manual has this advice for engine noise, which might be what you are hearing. Ask the dealer to check for this when you take the bike in for the service.

View attachment 597475

WRONG! LOL The 111 has a big cam chain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you've only just bought the bike new, why is the warranty running out so soon? Even on an old stock bike the warranty should start from the date of first sale - at least here in Australia that's how it operates.

People have very different experiences with the clutch cable. I've made sure mine was properly lubricated, even with the dealer doing the regular servicing and it broke at 50,000 kms - I was riding from home to the dealer anyway so they sent a trailer for me and replaced it under warranty. Some riders don't see half that and others don't have a problem at higher kms than mine.

There was a recall on the clutch lever for my 2018 Springfield DH, so check with your dealer to see if your bike is listed for that new lever. It was mentioned above and it seems that the 2018 bikes get a replacement.
I do like those shark fins, can you add those to the stock exhaust or are they part of the stage 1 kit?

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
WRONG! LOL The 111 has a big cam chain.
Sorry, my bad on that one. I was thinking only of the gears that drive each cam. :rolleyes:

I've spent so much time over the years on OHC motors pulling dropped chains up from the crankcase that my mind has turned to soup.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I do like those shark fins, can you add those to the stock exhaust or are they part of the stage 1 kit?
All the tips that Indian sells are for the stage 1 pipes, which are sold tipless and you choose which ones you want.

The stage 1 pipes end like this;

Tips screw to the end. A lot of aftermarket pipes have the same size pipes and some tips are interchangeable between brands.

Shark fins are known for making their owners very much aware of where their shins and ankles are. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, my bad on that one. I was thinking only of the gears that drive each cam. :rolleyes:

I've spent so much time over the years on OHC motors pulling dropped chains up from the crankcase that my mind has turned to soup.
No worries, I thought I had seen pictures showing the chain and tensioners.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All the tips that Indian sells are for the stage 1 pipes, which are sold tipless and you choose which ones you want.

The stage 1 pipes end like this;
View attachment 597562

Tips screw to the end. A lot of aftermarket pipes have the same size pipes and some tips are interchangeable between brands.

View attachment 597563

Shark fins are known for making their owners very much aware of where their shins and ankles are. :)
They look awesome, I can see those in my future. Does the stage one kit liven up the sound a bit, any performance boost?

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The stage 1 pipes are deeper and with added rumble. They don't add power. I mostly hear my bike when I ride it, but when I'm at the dealer getting a service I sometimes hear them start it up out the back and come riding around to the reception area. It sounds good when I hear somebody else on it like that.

Here in Australia our noise regs are more restrictive than US, but I've no idea what Canada is like. The stage 1 pipes on my bike make it sound good but without going over the 95 dBa noise limit. I read a lot of posts of US riders who say the Indian pipes are not loud enough so they go aftermarket looking for more noise. I guess it's a matter of your personal preferences and local noise limits.

There are also aftermarket fishtail pipes that are usually cheaper than the Indian.

·
Silver member
5,043 Posts
I like my Stage 1 pipes just fine. If anything I wouldn't mind a slightly lower rumble at idle like the Rhineharts, but I don't care for crazy loud blow your ears out pipes at 52 years old. And I like the classic look of my six shooter tips. I turned them upside down to flow with the bags, but you can also turn them down or sideways. Sideways puts a little more noise toward the car next to you....

Reactions: irvin.boston

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys, I love the shark fins, my buddy has a similar setup on his Harley and he keeps ripping his leg open walking around the back of the bike, so we'll see:( The six shooters look great too, especially turned up, flows well with the bags, Decisions, Decisions.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You should be aware that your cheek muscles are going to hurt from smiling all the time and your not going to get much sleep because your always thinking about riding your Indian.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts