Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Ensign and I am in the New Orleans area. I have been riding for a long time. I Started on dirt at 7 and then went to the street at 16. I have been a Honda guy for the most part with one Kawasaki 750LTD in the 80s and a 2005 Road King Classic in the 2000s. I have spent most of my time on the old school Valkyrie flat 6 motors and recently bought a 2019 Goldwing Tour. I had it for 6 months and just didn't like it. The bike was technically great- nearly perfect, but just not what I want to ride. My wife does ride with me, otherwise, I would have already bought a new Triumph R3.

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2019 Road Glide, but then I saw the Challenger. I already looked at the Yamaha Eluder and it is too plastic (much like the wing.) I just test drove the Challenger and liked it a lot. I love that it is a Twin with a relaxed riding position, and still has a ton of power and pull.

1. I am still deciding between the Challenger Limited and a Road Glide Ultra, but I struggle to buy HD. I just don't think you get what you are paying for (unless what you are paying for is an HD emblem.)
Any thoughts from you guys? I am sure there are plenty of guys like me here who made this decision. I appreciate your thoughts-

Also, what can I expect off MSRP? Any Dealers that are easier to deal with? I am definitely adding a Vic Baggers TourPak and Tab Zombie pipes with a Stage 1.

Ensign

·
Administrator
16,003 Posts
Welcome to the tribe, Ensign! Re MSRP, it’s kind of a crap shoot — on the one hand, Indian production has stopped (which drives up prices) and on the other hand you‘ve got some hungry dealerships who really want to make sales.
@A-58 is in your neck of the woods and can probly steer you to a good dealership. I know Gregory Polaris a couple of states up (arkansas) has a reputation for fair and easy dealings.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Welcome from Canada. May of us were HD guys that mase the switch because of this bike. This bike is far superior to the road glide it's not even funny. There is really nothing this bike doesn't do better in terms of performance, suspension, handling and braking.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,248 Posts
Welcome from flat as a billiard table Northwest Ohio. I haven't yet demoed a Challenger but hope to if this shut-down is ever lifted. Enjoy yours.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,297 Posts
Welcome from flat as a billiard table Northwest Ohio. I haven't yet demoed a Challenger but hope to if this shut-down is ever lifted. Enjoy yours.
They had 2 more at the Toledo dealership when I was there a couple weeks ago. Even had a red one.

Welcome Ensign! The Challenger is a great bike, I love mine!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,248 Posts
Yeah they're open but not allowing walk-ins to the showroom. Sales & service by appointment only according to their website. Once our governor lifts the shut-downs things will go back to more or less normal I guess.

·
Bronze member
1,535 Posts
Shop around as there are a LOT of hungry dealers, now that most of them are starting to open up with relaxing of business shutdown. Also, I'm hearing through a reliable source that Polaris is really working with their dealers to "discount" these bikes and get them off the floor and into garages of owners. Aside from price, the hype you've been hearing about these bikes is true......you won't be disappointed. Test ride both bikes and then make your decision....it should be easy.

·
Bronze member
2,235 Posts
Welcome. The Challenger is a heck of bike. On my short list of next bikes. Call or better yet go to as many dealers as you can if possible (considering this whole Covid stuff) and get as many dealers to compete for your cash. Got 3 dealers going and got my 2017 Chieftain Limited with free Indian mid-rise handlebars & passenger back rest thrown in- out the door $25k even- total, tax and all. MSRP was $25999 on the bike at the time. Good luck.

·
Silver member
4,789 Posts
My name is Ensign and I am in the New Orleans area. I have been riding for a long time. I Started on dirt at 7 and then went to the street at 16. I have been a Honda guy for the most part with one Kawasaki 750LTD in the 80s and a 2005 Road King Classic in the 2000s. I have spent most of my time on the old school Valkyrie flat 6 motors and recently bought a 2019 Goldwing Tour. I had it for 6 months and just didn't like it. The bike was technically great- nearly perfect, but just not what I want to ride. My wife does ride with me, otherwise, I would have already bought a new Triumph R3.

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2019 Road Glide, but then I saw the Challenger. I already looked at the Yamaha Eluder and it is too plastic (much like the wing.) I just test drove the Challenger and liked it a lot. I love that it is a Twin with a relaxed riding position, and still has a ton of power and pull.

1. I am still deciding between the Challenger Limited and a Road Glide Ultra, but I struggle to buy HD. I just don't think you get what you are paying for (unless what you are paying for is an HD emblem.)
Any thoughts from you guys? I am sure there are plenty of guys like me here who made this decision. I appreciate your thoughts-

Also, what can I expect off MSRP? Any Dealers that are easier to deal with? I am
definitely adding a Vic Baggers TourPak and Tab Zombie pipes with a Stage 1.

Ensign
Welcome aboard Ensign! If you haven’t been to Indian of New Orleans on Airline north of MSY, give them a try. They’re still closed due to the Kung Flu but keep calling to see when they open back up. Good people there, they’ll take care of you during and after the sale. They have a nice showroom floor that’s chock full of assorted motorbikes and vintage vehicles to browse while your motorbike is being serviced.

Good luck with your quest!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts