Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We discussed this on an older thread but I'm at work and can't spend all the time to go back through it so here's a fresh thread for spring.

I wore through the OEM tires in about 4000 miles, so it's time for a new set. After much looking, I decided on the Bridgestone T31s. In stock, I paid $285 to my door AND there's a $60 rebate through Bridgestone for tires bought between March 1 and April 30.

Finding tires in the size to fit the rear on the FTR is a pain. If you're looking for tires this spring, PM me and I'll send you the spreadsheet of makes/models/sizes/prices that I came up with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've worn almost through my rear but my front tire is still fine. I've got a 160/60 sitting in my parts department waiting for me. Has anybody had any issues with the TC when moving to a smaller diameter rear tire?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Changed the original tires for the Metzeler Tourance Next. Great tires with a sporty behaviour and excellent grip on the wet.

Braap!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've worn almost through my rear but my front tire is still fine. I've got a 160/60 sitting in my parts department waiting for me. Has anybody had any issues with the TC when moving to a smaller diameter rear tire?
Hatt switched to a 160/60 in the Continental without any issues that I've seen him complain of.
I had the same wear pattern front/rear as you describe. Working on my positioning on the bike and refining the suspension setup this year. Means that I HAVE to get out on the road more to 'practice!' ?

·
Registered
171 Posts
The short answer is yes.
You can read my impressions here

·
Registered
177 Posts
I order
We discussed this on an older thread but I'm at work and can't spend all the time to go back through it so here's a fresh thread for spring.

I wore through the OEM tires in about 4000 miles, so it's time for a new set. After much looking, I decided on the Bridgestone T31s. In stock, I paid $285 to my door AND there's a $60 rebate through Bridgestone for tires bought between March 1 and April 30.

Finding tires in the size to fit the rear on the FTR is a pain. If you're looking for tires this spring, PM me and I'll send you the spreadsheet of makes/models/sizes/prices that I came up with.
I got in on the $60 rebate through Rocky Mountain ATV and Bridgestone (thanks @ferraiolo1), but went with the BATTLAX A41 instead. Was $210 (after rebate) for the set delivered to my door in 2-days!!

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
A reasoning I don’t completely agree with btw. I run a 160/60 in the rear, and the only time the traction control annoys me is on deceleration. I run downhill into a sharp right or left hander, shift down twice, blip and let the clutch go at 4+krpm and get a free BURP/BLIP dammit, forward surge (while the smaller tire is already spinning faster than the original size does). This effect is gone in track mode, when IMU input is ignored. On acceleration it never chimes in with me, admitted, dry roads mostly.

I have the feeling the traction control is self tuning for tire size (to a certain extent), I know Ducati does this too -also??-, ride for a while in a straight line at a constant speed and it corrects the wheel circumferences for tc. But the IMU /tc combo on the FTR is way too intrusive/sensitive* to lean and deceleration.

*confirmed by an analysis of the tc routines in the new software for our bikes, which is way more gentle apparently and less intrusive.

My $0.02 and I’m sticking to Conti Road Attack 3’s, lovely tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts